Best casting decisions ever made in movies

Oh I agree Jones was the right choice.

JEJ is one of my "Six Degrees" to the Star Wars galaxy. He grew up in the small town of Dublin, Michigan. My grandfather on my mom's side, and JEJ were close friends growing up. Now, even in their mid 80's, they keep in touch.

As a kid, when I found out that my grandpa was friends with Darth Vader, it blew my mind! I still hope to.meet Mr. Jones in person one day.

Thats an awesome connection.

Meet him quickly; not sure he's doing all that well (though I hope I'm wrong).

I always crack up when I see the interview with JEJ when he is talking about George telling him he wanted someone with a darker voice. You can just tell he thought this was funny as a lot of people make the wrong assumption about what George meant by darker voice.

Three nominees from Dr. Strangelove:
Slim Pickens as Major "King" Kong.
Sterling Hayden as BGEN Jack D. Ripper
Keenan Wynn as Col. "Bat" Guano

And a tie-in to the last bunch of posts: Dr. Strangelove was JEJ's first credited film role. - Lt. Lothar Zogg.

1. Joseph Gordon-Levitt - Looper
2. Jeffery Combs - any Star Trek Role
3. Josh Brolin - No Country for Old Men
4. Josh Holloway - Colony

Whoops I went TV

Last edited:
Jeffery Combs was pushing for a particular scene in DS-9 which would have been golden. In one episode he was playing two roles- The Ferengi Brunt and the Vorta Weyoun. He wanted just a quick throwaway scene where these two characters would pass each other in a hallway, pause and then just keep going.
It is of note that he played the different Weyoun clones as unique characters, each with their own quirks and behavior.

ploads%2F2018%2F10%2Fbig-lebowski-dude-walter-3de7.jpg

As much as I like Brolin, I feel a lot if people could have pulled off the role. Now, Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh, I dont think anyone else could have pulled off that quiet menace the way he did. Just creepy. Loved him.
I think they missed the boat by never having a Brolin Batman.

I read through the whole thread and I can't believe no one mentioned Sylvester Stallone as Rocky!

Say what you will about his acting ability but that was arguably the greatest casting ever. I couldn't think of anyone else to even come close to playing that role as well as he did if my life depended on it.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back