Best casting decisions ever made in movies

Richard Dreyfuss in both Jaws and Close Encounters.
His performance in the former and his continuous lobbying with the director got him cast in the latter.
Well, Steve McQueen was offered the role first, and while he was impressed with the script, he turned it down because he couldn’t cry on cue.

This is a great thread! I really dig background actors. I think they can make a huge difference to films. I thought Pactrick Fischler was fantastic in Aliens resurrection and he also had a cool roll in Mulholland Dr where he scared the life out of me. Another random one, Indra Ové was so hot in interview with a vampire and the 5th element and was also good for her 2 seconds in resident evil before she lost her head hahahah

Surprised no one has mentioned...

Tom Cruise as Maverick

Cemented Cruise as the superstar he came to be (though I no longer support him), and no one else could have made the cocky, son-of-a-bitch, pip-squeak fighter pilot character as well as Cruise.

Truly fits in the category of "The role made the actor, and the actor made the role - no one else could play the part."

Others in this category, already mentioned in this thread:
--Harrison Ford as Indy
--Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly
--Arnold Schwarzeneggar as The Terminator
--Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow
--Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter
--Ian McClellan as Gandalf

Last edited:
Ah - just thought of another that firmly sits in this category (irreplaceable - no one else could have played the role)...

Burt Reynolds as The Bandit
How true.
smokey-and-the-bandit-3-3.png

Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley.

I think I'd agree on that one... Not sure even Linda Hamilton could have pulled it off. Weaver brought such a stoicism and toughness to the role, and was still vulnerable and human.

Here's a frightening thought, and a perspective on film-making - quality versus other...

Imagine for a moment the script for Aliens fell into the hands of Renny Harlin. He wasn't really on the radar in 1986, but we are imagining here, and he was offered Alien 3.

He most certainly would have re-cast Ripley with Geena Davis...

So again, imagine, Aliens directed by Renny Harlin starring Geena Davis.

Would have been a completely different movie.

Last edited:
James Earl Jones as Vader's voice

So many elements contributed to make Star Wars magical, and what it is, and kept it from slipping into a lame "B" movie sic-fi (which it easily could have).

The gravitas provided by JEJ's voice sealed the deal with this character, and no other voice could have worked nearly as well; not even similar baritones. Brock Peters may have come close, but no one could have replaced Jones.

Initially George wanted to use Orson Welles as the voice of Vader, but figured he was too well known.

Welles could have been in the ball park...

But I think of the line in ANH where Vader orders his troops to bring the prisoner's to him alive...

Or, "Apology Accepted, Captain Needah..."

Jones has an acerbic and intense quality I don't think Welles would have brought.

Oh I agree Jones was the right choice.

JEJ is one of my "Six Degrees" to the Star Wars galaxy. He grew up in the small town of Dublin, Michigan. My grandfather on my mom's side, and JEJ were close friends growing up. Now, even in their mid 80's, they keep in touch.

As a kid, when I found out that my grandpa was friends with Darth Vader, it blew my mind! I still hope to.meet Mr. Jones in person one day.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back