Best casting decisions ever made in movies

Nicolas Cage in Raising Arizona.
I know Nic Cage could easily be in the opposite version of this thread several times, which makes this performance more intriguing.
I remember him saying he had to audition 20 times, and the Coens told him they thought he was hilarious but just couldn't figure out why. He said he based his portrayal on Woody the woodpecker.

Patrick Stewart as Professor Charles Xavier.

Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn in the True Grit remake.

Bradley Cooper as Christopher Kyle in American Sniper.

Robert Shaw as Quint.

Brando as Vito Corleone (the studio wanted Danny Thomas!!!) Coppola had to fight for him.

Bogart as Rick Blaine.

The entire cast of John Huston's version of The Maltese Falcon. They're the characters off the page projected onto the screen.

Fledgling stage actor Peter O'Toole as T.E. Lawrence.

Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch of the West.

Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates.

Henry Fonda as Tom Joad (the studio wanted Tyronne Power) in The Grapes of Wrath.

Chloe Moretz as Hit Girl.

Leonard Nimoy as Spock.

James Cagney as Cody Jarrett in White Heat.

Stuntman and bit player John Wayne as the Ringo Kid in Stagecoach.

Charlton Heston as Moses in 'The Ten Commandments'
Just imagine anybody else speaking those lines- it just does not work...

Leslie Nielsen as Dr. Rumack in 'Airplane'
Nielson had always to this point played straight, heroic characters- his role in Airplane not only created the most memorable scenes to the film but it totally changed his career direction to become a comedy icon.

Both Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland as Spider-man
Alfred Molina as Doctor Octopus in Sam Raimi's Spider-man 2
Thomas Haden Church as Sandman in Sam Raimi's Spider-man 3

Ben Kingsley as Gandhi
Ted Neeley as ***** in ***** ****** Superstar

Hell, Michael Biehn was in the running for the Terminator too. That would have drastically changed things

Must... resist... urge... for snarky comment.

Don't worry, the best part is that the reason they ultimately didn't pursue OJ as The Terminator, is because he was considered to nice and likable by the public (based on previous film roles, and public appearances). They didn't think folks would accept him seriously as a cold blooded killer robot.

I think lance helped pitch the film bye dressing up and going to the producer's office and demanding to be seen "right now" with no appointment and bursting in on them "terminator" style... I could have sworn there is an interview of him telling this story. (y)

Daniel Radcliffe can play a million different roles and it will never matter. He will always be Harry Potter to me.

Tobey MaGuire as Spider-Man. He worked as a great Peter Parker, and was a great snarky Spidey. Tom Holland has actually done a very good job in the role, as well. Far better than Andrew Garfield skating down the hallway with his Ryan Seacrest haircut.

Alan Rickman as Severus Snape.

Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill. One of the greatest recreations of a historical figure I've ever seen.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back