Best casting decisions ever made in movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Richard Baker, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I've gotta agree with that. I have never been a Tom Cruise fan (even before he went nuts) and when it was announced he would be LeStat I thought it was a horrible decision. But I will have to admit he owned that role. I could never think of anyone as LeStat except him. That guy in the second one was AWFUL!!!

2. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison. I really thought he should have been nominated for an Oscar for that one.

HEMADEW likes this.
  3. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

Val Kilmer as Madmartagen in Willow. Love the movie, mostly because of him.

HEMADEW, Snikt, George and 3 others like this.
  4. Scarecrow Joe

Scarecrow Joe Sr Member

Lets keep talking about Val Kilmer.....his role as Doc Holiday stole the show in Tombstone.

"Im your huckleberry"

HEMADEW and Snikt like this.
  5. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

I liked Val Kilmer in 'Real Genius' - he had the best lines in the film.

Mitch: You know, um, something strange happened to me this morning...
    Chris Knight: Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?
    Mitch: No...
    Chris Knight: Why am I the only one who has that dream?

Mitch: What are you doing?
    Chris Knight: Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

HEMADEW, edge10 and Riceball like this.
  6. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

Gary Oldman (like Meryl Streep) has the uncanny ability to so become a character that you cannot see them as themselves- I never recognize he is playing the part even if I know before hand.

He also adds little unscripted flourishes to make each unique- he gave Zorg a southern accent in 'The Fifth Element' on his own just to make the character a bit more interesting...

HEMADEW, Riceball and gedmac66 like this.
  7. gedmac66

gedmac66 Sr Member

Not movies , but Lee Majors as the Six Million Dollar Man and Linda Carter as Wonder Woman

Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense ...
    Gregory Peck is Atticus Finch .

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    bsj1701 and GirlyGothicGeek like this.
  8. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight in 'Knightrider'
    IIRC they had planned on a totally different style of interaction between him and KITT but he improv'd the 'buddy' thing and it worked so well they altered the scripts to accommodate it.

9. gedmac66

gedmac66 Sr Member

Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf
    Christopher Lee as Saruman
    Andy Serkis as Gollum/Sméagol and Viggo Mortensen as Strider/Aragorn ...,

The entire cast for the LOTR films was pretty much spot on , but those above were exceptional imho ! ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    CT1138, George, Larry T and 1 other person like this.
  10. Scarecrow Joe

Scarecrow Joe Sr Member

I have another one....Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins.

Also Robin Williams as Genie in Aladdin.

11. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

Robin Williams was another who owned each role he took on, even if the movie itself was rubbish. Movies like Good Morning, Vietnam and Good Will Hunting, he was perfect. One Hour Photo, he was good, but I didn't like the movie.

Slightly off topic, but I had the pleasure of meeting him twice. He was such a great guy and the world is less of a place without him.

12. George

George Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

^+1
    He played a brilliant role in August Rush as a 'villain'.Scared the you-know-what out of me seeing him portray this character,but it was done so professionally.He was funny both on and off screen.
    Rest his soul

13. Snikt

Snikt Sr Member

Peter Weller as Robocop

Henkka, Riceball and mattycsi like this.
  14. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

While it was a pretty odd movie, Robin Williams nailed Popeye- he wasn't scrawny, but he had the voice and mannerisms down perfect.

Riceball and George like this.
  15. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

This is perfect casting:

j-k-simmons-set-to-return-as-j-jonah-jameson-in-sony-marvel-studios-spider-man-reboot.jpg

Firefly_cast_bts.jpg

The-Best-Movie-Ever-Kurt-Russell.jpg

16. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

Yes. J. K. Simmons is JJJ. No else else could ever be JJJ.

George likes this.
  17. Rogue

Rogue Active Member

"Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones"

That was "great" casting.

What was truly genius casting - and to my mind, the best casting ever - was Sean Connery as his father.

18. Potroclo

Potroclo Member

Bruce Willis as Korben Dallas, thank god it wasn't Mel Gibson. Whole 5th element cast is rather good I think

Riceball likes this.
  19. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Ben Afleck as Batman. I said it and I stand by it.

The Brahma Bull and George like this.
  20. mattycsi

mattycsi Sr Member

And I stand by you. Loved Affleck as Batman.

The Brahma Bull likes this.
  21. The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull Active Member

True. Loved him as the Dark Knight.

22. PotionMistress

PotionMistress Sr Member

I agree with dascoyne on the Firefly crew casting. Each one of them were spot-on and together they had a magic that is so incredibly rare!

23. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

I agree, every time I watch that show and esp. during the scenes in where they're just relaxing and enjoying each others company, I always get the feeling that they weren't acting in those scenes and that they were genuninely having a good time, just enjoying being together.

24. shadowwolf

shadowwolf New Member

Robert Urich as Spenser and Avery Brooks as Hawk in Spenser for Hire.I can`t picture any one else in these roles.

25. NakedMoleRat

NakedMoleRat Sr Member

Robin Williams in Hook as a grownup Peter Pan.

CT1138 and George like this.
  26. Lost in Trek

Lost in Trek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The entire cast of Superman (1978). I don't care what they are saying about Margot Kidder in that "other" thread. She was a GREAT Lois Lane.

And even though it's not out yet, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers.

George likes this.
  27. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Likewise, Dustin Hoffman was THE quintessential Captain Hook of my childhood.

HEMADEW likes this.
  28. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

3f46128b83e88fe24edc74746a6ca745.jpg

1abfd913-65fe-42a7-bf63-151a67dbc343.jpg

tumblr_ll1bkbMlc01qigaa4o2_r1_1280.jpg

11390555_495947780553067_2683638047505083452_n.png?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.png

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  29. Potroclo

Potroclo Member

Yes! Australian blue heeler, best doggo ever 7-mad-max-2-trivia.jpg

George likes this.
  30. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

To be fair, anyone with that build could've played Lord Humungus.

What I love about the Mad Max movies is that the actor who played Toecutter from Mad Max is also Immortan Joe in Fury Road. That was the best casting decision among a slew of great casting decisions.

31. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

I don't understand that logic. Road Warrior: A guy whose face was covered the entire time could have been played by anyone. Fury Road: Another guy whose face is covered the entire film, yet because the guy was in a former film, it was great casting?

32. Kovnyn

Kovnyn Sr Member

Maybe not great casting, but essentially an Easter egg. Can't think of another movie that's done something similar.
    Sure, they could have cast anyone for the role, but the fact that they recast the first villian of the series made it that much better, for me at least.

George likes this.
  33. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

Benedict Cumberbatch as The Grinch
    Saw this film last Saturday- usually we wait on animated films to be on Disc but it was a special family Christmas outing.
    I grew up with the original animated version and thought Jim Carrey did a pretty good job with the role, but this new film blows that away. Carrey had the voice down but everything was spoken pretty much at the same level and inflection. Cumberbatch not only nailed the voice (which is very different from his own), but expressed a full range of emotion and nuance- he acted within that character.

34. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

Tom Skerritt as Dallas in the film 'Alien'
    That movie has wonderful casting but in my opinion Tom Skerritt plays his part perfectly. He is not an heroic captain out to save the day, he is a working guy just doing a job and in over his head. His scenes with Ripley imply they have a history together but they have put that behind them. His performance is subtle and well tuned- his interactions with the rest of the crew shows familiarity with them and their idiosyncrasies and he manages them well.

dascoyne, HEMADEW, AJK001 and 2 others like this.
  35. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

I agree. They needed a grown adult who could act like a kid. Williams was perfect. Its really a good fun movie.

36. Dessa

Dessa Well-Known Member

Speaking of scenes where they weren't acting... "The Message" (episode 12, but wasn't aired on FOX) was the last episode they filmed, and the final shot, at Tracy's funeral, was the final scene filmed, right after they'd learned the show had been canceled. Those emotions were real, they were treating it as the show's funeral as well.

gedmac66 likes this.
  37. bsj1701

bsj1701 Active Member

There are so many, but for me these 2 stand out the most. Tom Hanks as "Forrest Gump" and Christopher Reeve as "Superman." Although I have watched and liked several Superman portrayals since Reeve, none have come close to capturing how perfect he was as both "Superman" and "Clark Kent."

gedmac66, Richard Baker and Strikerkc like this.
  38. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

100%

Much of Alien’s gravity owes a lot to the nuance in his performance. One of many perfect scenes comes to mind is probably something most folks wouldn’t think twice about - when Ripley confronts him about ordering Ash to bypass the quarantine. I love how he delivers, “Look, I just wanna get the hell outta here.” I savor the way the moment was framed, shot and performed.

Alien would have been a lesser film without Tom Skerritt.

HEMADEW, Axlotl and robn1 like this.
  39. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Sr Member

One of the best moments in that scene is when she closes the door in front of him and he kinda sighs, turns around with a look like "are we going to do this now?"- you can tell those two people used to be a couple and split, settling to just working with each other to get the job done.
    People always fix on the Alien design and graphic death scenes, for me the best part of the movie is the dynamics between the different characters, something that Ridley Scott fails to recreate in his new prequel films.

Axlotl, gedmac66, robn1 and 1 other person like this.
  40. simiouno

simiouno Jr Member

WAYNE was best ROOSTER, BRIDGES, dull second, OATS, oddball third place ..

41. simiouno

simiouno Jr Member

Bogie as Dobbs in sierra Madre ..Unsurpassed ! !