Beginning with easy replica

Jodd

I have decided to try my luck at producing several replicas, but I would like to know what would be the most easiest prop to start with. Can anyone provide a tutorial, web site, or pictures? I am looking forward to hearing from everyone very soon.

Graflex and Denix Mauser conversions are typically the go-to answer to this question.

Just stick some stuff on and, boom - you're done.

I have decided to try my luck at producing several replicas, but I would like to know what would be the most easiest prop to start with. Can anyone provide a tutorial, web site, or pictures? I am looking forward to hearing from everyone very soon.

I'm just curious why you're just looking for the easiest.

Ask yourself what props YOU have always wanted, and try your hand at them. There's no prop-making primer, you learn (and often make it up) as you go. That's half the fun!

Even if the results aren't always the best, it's something YOU want which will drive you on to do it again but better. Without that motivation of "NEEDING" the object you saw on screen, you'll get bored very quickly.

Good luck.

-Nick

I'm a big fan of Doctor Who myself, so I've decided to try my hand at sculpting an item from the show, time permitting.
I'm not letting my lack of experience stop me. :)

Like Nick said, find something you enjoy. Then find a prop you'd like to have from it, and make it happen.
Don't worry about production and sales right off the bat.

I just finished working on a Crow puppet from MST3K and it was the first time I ever made anything that was considered a replica. It's not entirely accurate and he's missing his arms (which are, by far, the hardest pieces to get) but I had a lot of fun working on him and everytime I look at him, he always makes me smile.

It's all just a bunch of fun.

"I have decided to try my luck at producing several replicas, but I would like to know what would be the most easiest prop to start with."

As a few others have said, you really have to want to make it. What are you in to? Whats your favorite movie? Pick something from that and see what you come up with. If you are looking for an easy experience don't worry about making 'several' objects, pick one you think is cool and work really hard on it. Do something you can be proud of.

"Can anyone provide a tutorial, web site, or pictures?"

I hate to be one of those people who says 'Google it', but in this day and age all that stuff is right at your fingertips, you just have to take the initiative and start looking. Decide what you want to make and search away. Sometimes you will be surprised with what you find :)

the first prop i ever built was ecto goggles from ghostbusters. the second, was a proton pack. i went from fairly simple, to "what am i getting into?" which has been my prop mantra ever since. you should do something from the ground up, where there is no easy. the feeling of accomplishment you'll have when its over will be like a tidal wave.

I'm just curious why you're just looking for the easiest.

Ask yourself what props YOU have always wanted, and try your hand at them. There's no prop-making primer, you learn (and often make it up) as you go. That's half the fun!

I prefer to start at the beginning and learn from being efficient rather than spending money on parts that is very wasteful.

I prefer to start at the beginning and learn from being efficient rather than spending money on parts that very wasteful.

But that's the thing, there is no "beginning," only where you choose to start. And the other thing: no matter how you start you will end up wasting time (often to save money) or wasting money. (often to save time) What we do isn't an exact science it is a passion for the items we see on screen and what they represent to us.

If you have an idea of what interests you or what you'd like to make, most of us could give you tips about how to go about it, or point you to previous, similar builds, but to simply recommend a prop out of the literally billions of props that have ever existed, simply because it is "easy," is an impossible task.

Can I ask why you want to get into making props if you don't want to make things that interest you? It's just such a foreign concept to me.

-Nick

I prefer to start at the beginning and learn from being efficient rather than spending money on parts that is very wasteful.

if i dont do any of the following :
break something i needed for a project
drive fruitlessly all over town for something i need for a project
hurt myself on a project
spend all day sanding/bondoing/wiring/etc and have to redo it

then it isnt a project. these are things i expect to encounter when im working on something, and deal with it on a weekly basis.

you cant expect to ask "what should i do for my first prop" and expect it to be the most beautiful easiest peice of work you ever did. if you want that, they sell model kits at micheals, go to town. when you're ready to make a prop, you learn efficiency as you go, and also learn the ropes.

you'll also get bondo and various other unclean things under your fingernails. if thats a problem, model kits are at micheals.

i just recently purchased an electrical clamp i needed for my army of darkness chainsaw, it was 2 inches to big, and i cant return it. thats 20 dollars i need very much thrown away.

i just recently purchased an electrical clamp i needed for my army of darkness chainsaw, it was 2 inches to big, and i cant return it. thats 20 dollars i need very much thrown away.

Those kind of things go into the box labeled "good stuff to save" You never know, when in the future you might need that clamp for something else..

For easy props to make, I've got two words for you: paper props. I know, it's nothing grand like some of the other suggestions, but it's a good and cheap starting point.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back