BD-7Z Droid Build - Scratch Build - BD-1 (Photo Heavy)

Radford

After recently building my first costume, a Tusken Raider, I was motivated to try something else. I kept thinking about a BD droid and thought I'd have a go at doing a scratch build. This is my first attempt at something like this and I made it up as I went more than I would like to admit. I had a lot of fun with this build.

I haven't written a build blog before. But I have read heaps of them and they have been so beneficial for both my costume build and inspiration. This is not a step by step tutorial on what I did. This is just a general outline. With what I've learned, if I was to build another I would do it differently.

As I spent a couple of weeks thinking about the basic shapes I started collecting bits and pieces from thrift stores and second hand stores. This was what I started with. I did not use everything and I had to get a lot of other stuff.

IMG_7203.JPG

I used the plastic container to as a basic head shape. From the rubber floor mat I cut the eye shape.

For the left eye I cut down a piece of round pvc pipe.

The right eye was a cut down plumbing fitting, a fishing bobbin that I cut in half and then removed the dome. And a bottle cap was placed on top of that.

IMG_7455.JPG

IMG_7453.JPG

I dismantled the Antman mask. It had a feature where you can change the view through one of the eyes to a blue or a Kaleidoscope lens. After sanding it to shape with the dremel, I added the Kaleidoscope lens to the right eye, hoping it would add a cool effect? I used the blue lens for the left eye.

IMG_7459.JPG
IMG_7466.JPG

I had a faulty camera lens that I pulled apart for the left eye.

IMG_7473.JPG
IMG_7476.JPG

I cut the folding lid off the plastic container and sanded it to size. I wanted to make a wooden base for the head. I started by making two mock up's out of cardboard first. One made the head a bit higher, but I decided that it was too high so went with the lower option.

IMG_7482.JPG
IMG_7485.JPG

Now I had the cardboard template I went ahead and cut the parts out of 3mm MDF.

IMG_7490.JPG
IMG_7492.JPG

I was originally hoping to use the shape of the container for the top of the head as it has nice rounded edges but I decided this wasn't going to work for several reasons and surrounded it with more 3mm MDF. I needed to add some foam to straighten the side pieces.
I did all of the woodwork in my laundry. I did most of the cutting with a hand saw and used a belt/disc sander combo a lot to try and fix my mistakes. I can promise you there is not a straight cut on this whole build.

IMG_7697.JPG
IMG_7698.JPG
IMG_7700.JPG
IMG_7767.JPG

I cut out a second foam piece for the front face. I painted them in several coats of pva glue to seal them.

IMG_7772.JPG
IMG_7774.JPG

I painted the foam and used some general purpose filler to fill dents in the foam. I know your not really suppose to use the filler on foam but I'm hoping as this piece doesn't need to move that it will be ok.

IMG_8037.JPG

I cut another piece out of the 3mm MDF for the detail on the top of the head.

IMG_8033.JPG

I constructed the rear panel for the head and used a fly swat for the window. For the lights I just used some RGB LEDs on a 5V circuit. I wrapped the LEDs around a piece of the MDF.

IMG_8034.JPG
IMG_8035.JPG
IMG_8055.JPG
IMG_8057.JPG

I had a couple of options of the ears. One was the ear pieces from the Antman mask and the other was wheels from a toy car. I went with the wheels and sanded them down to the right size. I used an antenna for the aerials.

IMG_8111.JPG
IMG_8112.JPG

IMG_8113.JPG
IMG_8114.JPG

It was around this time I saw an Adam Savage video where he was showing how they used fibre optics in the lighting of R2D2's head. I knew I had an old fibre optic cable that I had got with a stereo and never used. The cable was a perfect size to fit the wheel nut spots on the ears. So I drilled them out and glued in short pieces of the cable. As I had wrapped the LED lights around the rear head panel, so I had light on the inside of the head. I just directed the cable towards the light. The end result isn't amazing, but it adds a little extra something.

IMG_8249.JPG

For the base of the aerials, I cut the ends from a couple of ball point pens and glued them on.

IMG_8250.JPG
IMG_8251.JPG

I found a video on youtube showing how you could attach a motion sensor to a mp3 soundboard and thought it might work for my droid. I thought I could place the sensor in his chest and the speaker in his head. When I received the soundboard it worked perfectly. I followed the advice in the video and upgraded the speaker with an old logitech PC speaker. It dramatically improved the sound quality. I found some BD droid beeps online and loaded it up.

IMG_8110.JPG

IMG_8115.JPG
IMG_8117.JPG
IMG_8234.JPG

It was at this stage that I started thinking about the legs. I decided to make them out of thicker MDF and add the detail using various found objects. I started by cutting them out of cardboard to check for size.

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_8044.JPG

At this point I had no idea what I would do for feet. But I was happy with the size of the legs.

I cut them out of two pieces of MDF to get the right width and then cut and sanded to shape. I actually did the process twice. As I had near completed legs but decided they were too thick and made them over.

I picked up a few items for the details. I cut a toy hammer in pieces. (I used parts of their handle as dowel joints later.) I cut the hose fitting in half.

IMG_8506.JPG
IMG_8505.JPG
IMG_8510.JPG

I cut down an aluminium can and added it.

IMG_9002.JPG
IMG_9230.JPG
IMG_9232.JPG

For the lower legs, I made the details from MDF.

IMG_8511.JPG

I was really excited about doing the inside of the legs. This is the first time I have kitbashed. I had been collecting some cheap model planes and tanks from thrift stores and had a lot of fun doing this part.

IMG_8995.JPG

For the section between the legs and the body I removed some rubber tyres from a toy car and painted them.

IMG_9385.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8251.JPG
    IMG_8251.JPG
    323.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8250.JPG
    IMG_8250.JPG
    352.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8238.JPG
    IMG_8238.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7700.JPG
    IMG_7700.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8037.JPG
    IMG_8037.JPG
    440.3 KB · Views: 19

Radford

For the feet I bought a couple of different kinds of door stops and manipulated them with the dremel.

IMG_9728.JPG
IMG_9732.JPG

Now on to the body. I thought I could cut something out of foam. I have not worked with EVA foam before and the floor mats I cut for the face were harder to do than I had hoped. I knew my cutting wasn't going to be very good. But by this stage the character of the droid had started coming out and I knew I wanted him to be a beaten up, oily and trashed looking unit. So that kind of gave me a little room to not have to get it perfect.

IMG_9733.JPG
IMG_9738.JPG

I made the body in two pieces and joined them with magnets.

I could now start to get a better idea of how he would come together.

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

Now, time to paint him up and get him all bright and shiny. I neglected to take many photos at this stage....... sorry.

IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG

I added some extra detail using a fridge magnet. I was really happy with how this turned out. The magnet is nice and thin and the dark side has a murky reflection.

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

I removed the rubber grip from the camera lens that I dismantled for the eye and cut it to shape to add some detail to the back of the body.

IMG_0896.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG

Now he was all bright and crisp, I weathered the **** out of him. I wanted him dirty!

IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1156.JPG

At this point, I thought I was done. But he had become a fully formed character. And he demanded I build him a cape! So I modified a Lego minifig pattern from brown hessian.

IMG_1159.JPG

And after all of that... I would like to introduce you to BD-7Z (pronounced BD- 7 Zee).

IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    335.2 KB · Views: 20

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.