Baylan Skoll / Shin Hati Dark Jedi Costumes - Ahsoka (Series) Star Wars

Guess I just mean that I want it to be durable, rather than that I do any real choreography.
You might be best trying to adapt a 3D print to fit a LGT core and an aluminium tube for reinforcement. The thing will end up fatter than the prop, but looking at them, they are probably way too slender for most installs anyway.

Guess I just mean that I want it to be durable, rather than that I do any real choreography.
I kind of had the same thought, not looking to dual or have hard hits but wanted to do something that would look good and as close to the design as I can practically build and maintain but can be swung around with moderate hits. I am considering modifying it to make one that can take a hard hit once I am happy with the design. This one is printed in "tough PLA" and should be fairly durable. I added a blade plug when using as a costume piece, but have a 40" custom made pixel blade, that so far is not putting a lot of stress on the emitter section when attached, but as I complete the electronics will test more and reinforce as needed. I do like the idea mentioned about putting in an aluminum sleeve to strengthen. I will not complete the sanding and painting until I have all electronics installed and fully tested in case I do need to reprint some parts. I 3d modeled the hilt to be as small as I could get it working with the internals I had on hand. This is my first lightsaber build so learning a lot as I go.

PXL_20230904_131943729.jpgPXL_20230904_132016003.jpgPXL_20230904_132022544.jpgPXL_20230904_133434763~2.jpg

Is anyone here familiar enough with electronics/etc to give me an exact shopping list of what I'd need to have a duelable Hati saber? I've found a few empty hilt prints available on Etsy so far, but the saber/LED/which version/chassis is beyond me.
I just used my Savi saber from Disney and did some 3D printing for the extra parts so that it looked more like Baylan's saber. The Savi sabers have about 6 parts to them, I just redid the two front parts and the handle, so only 3 parts and use the other Savi parts, not perfect, but it did the job.
368557706_1329951254616367_6302822345873975236_n.jpg

I've been working on the 3D armor prints to custom them to me and make them work a bit better. I found the shoulders seem a bit small, so I up the print to 120%. The ring I added a bit of texture and enlarge it also by 120% to fit easier over the glove. The stone I also added a bit of texture and made it stick out more since after seeing it in the show, it does seem huge or sticks out a bit. The Arm armor I redid the buttons since Baylan has 6 buttons not just 5, with 4 small in the middle and 2 longer ones on the side of those. I also made them a bit shorter and a bit wider, now I need to paint and add the magnets to close them. I've been going through same filament reprinting parts, I did the arms about 3 times already but I think I'm good with the latest and made the holes so I could add lights if I want to.
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Great info on this board! And best character in Ahsoka so far.

I've started my build. "First" one. I also have a Cobb Vanth build I've been working on. 3d printing parts in resin. Researching the electronic parts for gauntlets and saber. Going to delve into sewing this as well. I'm curious about the boots and the pants as those can probably be found somewhere.

Great info on this board! And best character in Ahsoka so far.

I've started my build. "First" one. I also have a Cobb Vanth build I've been working on. 3d printing parts in resin. Researching the electronic parts for gauntlets and saber. Going to delve into sewing this as well. I'm curious about the boots and the pants as those can probably be found somewhere.
The Pants I don't worry about; I use some black pants and they, being cover by the skirt and the tall boots was no issue. The boots are cover with a gaiter type covering, which is something I'm wanting to get more detail about. That will be my next thing to make.

Hark! Demobaza boots for Shin Hati have arrived.

First impression is better than I expected, actually -- I had to order an equivalent EU size that should be too big for me, but these fit just fine. The zipper up the ankles really helps them from rubbing about, though I'd definitely want to wear socks because that same zipper really digs in. Texture and color are also improved from the site photos; they're far less rubbery than they appear in those product images. Right now, I'm pleased to have the shorts boots, like I imagined, to free up layers on my leg. We'll see if that holds after other references/trying to hide the straps across with the boot covers.

The raised heel is perfectly comfortable. Kind of makes you feel powerful! I've earned a whole fake 3 inches in height.

I think I found the clasps on the back of Shin's tunic. Silver is sold out but gold is still available. Hoping someone can help identify the manufacturer or find the silver ones elsewhere.

ShinHatiTunicBackClasps.jpg
ShinHatiTunicBackClasps02.jpg

422459.jpeg
422459-d.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe waxed canvas? It emulates leather on camera. Depending on how heavy the wax layer is, it can give a pull up effect where it looks cracked or lighter color where the material flexes.
That was my thought. At times it reminds me of an old oilskin outback coat I had in the 90s.

I've been studying Baylan Skoll's costume since he first appeared in the trailers. As a long time Ray Stevenson fan (loved him since Rome), I'm working on a Baylan Skoll costume as a tribute to him. Some details I've noticed:

Many of Baylan's costume details aren't black. They actually appear to be very deep green. Including his pauldrons and bracers. Or at least they have a green augmentation. Both in the Ahsoka fan event images and the BTS tribute photos of Ray Stevenson, his chest armor is deep green. I'd thought that in the fan event photo, the costume might have been lit subtly green. But I don't think so comparing it to the BTS photo, which is in daylight. When comparing the Baylan costume to Ahsoka's in the fan event photo, it appears to be distinctly green. And there is green verdigris on the pauldrons.
This is the link to the full resolution Ahsoka Fan event video for reference -
1694206614160.png
1694206638121.png
1694206720190.png

The chest harness also appears to be made of at least two different fabrics or leathers. It seems pretty clear in the BTS photo. I -think- it's a faux leather. The same that is used in the trim of the hood (which is black, not green). His cloak, undertunic and the rest of his kit all appears to be black, (turned grey by the harsh light in the fan event images).

Full size BTS images of Ray Stevenson - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FwwcWEkWwAAkBos?format=jpg&name=large

Baylan's grieves are chevroned like his chest armor and I can't really tell, but may also be deep green to match his chest. They are closed with what looks like a double d-ring and strap arrangement that starts on the opposite side of the grieve. It looks like there is a hidden stirrup strap. It appears he's wearing a calf height boot beneath the grieves based on the bulge below the top strap. The boots are squared toe with a plain, stitched on leather sole and a relatively low heel. They look like a western or work boot, but I've been trying to find something similar, but so far haven't been able to identify them.

1694207122600.png
1694207254939.png
1694207328992.png
1694207479499.png

There are good photos of Baylan's "belt buckle", but so far no really good, detailed photos have shown up of his ring. But the stone in both buckle and ring also appear to be green - not black. They don't appear to be obsidian. In the Twitter advert image, the whole picture is tuned toward black, it makes his entire costume look black. But both the stone in the buckle and ring appear green.

1694209205932.png

full size poster image - https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/...ot+2023-08-07+at+11.15.23+AM.jpg?format=2500w

All the green with Baylan is there for a reason. What that is, is unclear. But if we look at him as an analogue of an Arthurian knight, Gawain becomes the obvious association. Gawain and the Green Knight, etc.

These are just some observations I've made that will hopefully help other builders to create epic Baylon costumes. I think that would be a fitting tribute to a great actor who was taken too soon.

1694207959526.png
1694208291865.png
1694208151712.png

Attachments

• 1694207875771.png
    1694207875771.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
I think I found the clasps on the back of Shin's tunic. Silver is sold out but gold is still available. Hoping someone can help identify the manufacturer or find the silver ones elsewhere. Screencaps hidden as spoiler images.

Mood has informed me these were designer leftovers and so will not be sourced or restocked.

His boots look like a play off the prequel Jedi boots toe box and sole design, I would not call them square toe personally. If you looked at them from the top down I think they would be more round. Old Florsheim ankle boots may be a good starting point to find something off the shelf.

here is an example of something you could resole maybe

Ep 4 gives us the best view of Baylan's clasps so far. I think the image from the trailer may be a stunt suit or just too low-rez to get the details. Like Shin's clasps, they appear to be metal clasps that are attached on top of a triangular piece of leather.
1694389816556.png

Ep 4 gives us the best view of Baylan's clasps so far. I think the image from the trailer may be a stunt suit or just too low-rez to get the details. Like Shin's clasps, they appear to be metal clasps that are attached on top of a triangular piece of leather.
View attachment 1738358

Possibly this one? They're available from a lot of places (Etsy, Ebay, Amazon, various online shops, etc) and comes in several finishes and sizes. One listing: Strong Elvish Cloak Clasp - Etsy

il_1588xN.4802537402_71aq.jpeg

s-l1200.jpeg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back