Limited Run Battlestar Galactica Blood and Chrome (prequel) microchip/necklace pendant

zenix

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've converted this thread to a sale thread, and these are now ready to order! I have 5 in stock and it'll take me a week to make more. See the video for how it works.

When placed on an NFC enabled device, these will automatically load http://www.sn.im/schematics which is a shortended url which currently forwards to this animated gif:
schematic.gif

Since I'm using snipurl for the url shortener, I can point that sn.im url to a different URL in the future. the one above isn't 100% accurate, since when you watch the show, you can see there's a different pattern that shows up on her 'phone' thing, but the above .gif is what gets loaded on the computer monitors while she does that. I'm not sure I'd be able to easily replicate a .gif to match the one seen on her phone since I'm a 3d artist and not a graphic artist.

Anyway, I'm selling them at $100 each, which includes US shipping and the functioning pendant with embedded RFID tag, and a stainless steel ball chain. To order, please post here and send $100 paypal to payments@custom3dstuff.com, and add $8 for international orders, per order.

Previous text:
I painstakingly made one of these for myself last year. I've found a way to be able to produce more of them. It looks just like it was seen on the screen and...

Here's the build thread of when I did it last year: http://www.therpf.com/f9/battlestar-galactica-blood-chrome-necklace-pendant-172966/

Here's the screen used one:

486974_573169216033082_587105717_n.png

Here's the one I made, being worn by Fran, a cosplayer who I met at Bay Area Maker Faire:
battlestar.jpg

I plan on producing them similarly but not exactly the same way as I did shown in the build thread, but the result will look the same. It's hard to judge the final price, but say I offered them at $100, who would be interested?

Last edited by a moderator:
A great piece very nice job on the details. I am in for sure it be an awesome addition to my ever growing BSG collection. You can count me in for three of the microchip necklace. Thank you again.

I'm having a small batch run of these produced by a professional circuit board manufacturing company. The backings are also on order from shapeways and will be here in about two weeks. The circuit pieces will be here in one week. Once I have photos of those, I'll convert this to a sale thread and start accepting payments. The RFID tags are here, and the control circuit (NFC shield) to program them too.
picture004.jpg

The four L shapes you see in the corners of the original circuit design I've updated based on a clearer image. Each of those four L's are actually three circles in the shape of an L.
etch.jpg

Based on the ball chain seen in the pictures, I was able to more accurately get the size of the entire chip. It's about 8% smaller than the first one I made. The circuit board is about 33mm from tip to tip.

I remodeled the backing to account for the NFC tag, and adjust to the new size.
Capture.jpg

I can hard-code a URL onto the tag, so when read by a reader in a smartphone, the phone will load the webpage. The plan is to put a .gif at that webpage so it looks like it did in the show.

I got the first pic back from the factory and though the photo is low def, I can tell the details are great! They're shipping them out to me and I'll have 'em early next week. The backings are already 3d printed and on their way, so I'll get them tomorrow.

photo+%25283%2529.JPG

this is available, and now shipping.I've updated the chip inside to use to more widely accepted standard version, so it'll work on all NFC enabled phones now, instead of just most. I'm sending them out tomorrow to those who have paid.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back