Batman Year One DVD

LOGANCLAW22

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Watched Batman Year One DVD last night. It was outstanding! Red hood has been my favorite of all of the Batman animated DVD's but Year one was awesome. Great story and LT/Commisioner Gordon was a Badass. Missed Kevin Conroy's voice and I think that if this movie had included it it would have been a 10 out of 10 for me. I'd give it an 8/10 and highly recommend it.

Paul

I was left a bit disappointed. I've long championed Batman: Year One as the best Batman graphic novel, and arguably the best Superhero graphic novel of all time (or at least that I've read) - and I'm not even a big Batman fan.

Overall, they captured the story decently... but, it didn't seem to 'breathe' that well. Seemed way too condensed.

The art/animation style seemed almost half-assed. Some of the backgrounds were horrible and Batman himself didn't seem fluid enough.

It was still better than Batman Begins.

Last edited:
My only complaint was the length. I wanted it to keep going!
I love that they do these movies based on famous comics! Bring on Kingdom Come and Dark Knight Returns!!

I'll check it out soon, mandatory for Batfans.
It should be epic given the source material, but
a very reliable person for me on such things was disappointed
and I'm reducing expectations.

It was still better than Batman Begins.

I agree. I said the exact same thing while I was watching it. I was thinking to myself, it's sad that this is better than a big budget movie. There were some things I nitpicked about, but overall I enjoyed it. DC seems to do well with these animated adaptations and features, I hope they continue.

After waiting so many years for this to be filmed, I was disappointed that DC once again made the movie TOO SHORT! Would it kill them to make a 90 minute-long animated film? :confused

The run time was unacceptably short at only 64 minutes or so. They cut WAY too much of the story out. I can't even tell you how long it's been since I read the graphic novel... 20 years, maybe? And even I know that too much was cut out. For one thing, they eliminated EVERYTHING about Bruce Wayne's training he went through to become Batman. They completely eliminated the character of Henry Ducard! Inexcusable! :thumbsdown

But we got an animated short about Catwoman. Yay. While that was cool, I would have rather had them use those extra minutes on the main feature, and add in the important stuff about how he trained in preparation for his one-man war on crime.

In the end... Batman Begins is STILL the better movie! :p

Now I'm off to find a copy of the graphic novel...

There was no training or Henry Ducard in the book! There was a bit of keeping up with things back in Gotham, splintering a tree with a kick, that sort of thing - but we never saw him learn it all. I love the book, and I want to see the flick. I hope it's a decent translation of the story, if not the art. I know they picked up the general style, but Mazzucelli's artwork is just fantastic. Hard to match that with a budget cartoon.

There was no training or Henry Ducard in the book! There was a bit of keeping up with things back in Gotham, splintering a tree with a kick, that sort of thing - but we never saw him learn it all. I love the book, and I want to see the flick. I hope it's a decent translation of the story, if not the art. I know they picked up the general style, but Mazzucelli's artwork is just fantastic. Hard to match that with a budget cartoon.
Really? Then where the heck did that stuff come from? :confused

I could have sworn that was in Year One. Now I definitely need to read the graphic novel again!

The stuff with Henry Ducard, and training came from the first story arc of Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight starting in issue #1.

Its good, but there is still more in he comic.

The animated version contains no cigarette smoking, and drops a lot of the narration. Some of my favorite lines were completely absent. For some reason Bruce fights catwoman on his first night out.

Entertaining but simplified for kids.

It was ok, my biggest gripe is it had no score of any note.
Dramatic events would have been greatly enhanced and more emotionally charged
with a decent score, so many moments fell flat.
It was too short, more character development for Catwoman and Wayne were needed. Gordon was the star of this and that isn't a bad thing entirely.
Batman's voice wasn't quite there, not sure what they heard in this actor to put him in the role. It's been years since I read Year One so I was ready to see things fresh again,
I'd say the film comes off more like a motion comic.

Lots of sixties era muscle cars in Gotham. LOL

The Catwoman short was quite enjoyable.

The Man Who Falls has his early training.

It did seem a bit 'bland', but it's for kids y'know.

I like the Catwoman costume. Very basic. It showed her violent side as well.

One of my favorite graphic novels, and the clips I've seen look ok, but I'm always so hesitant to see movie versions of books I dig.

i was nervous about it when i heard about it last year, and even with the trailer, it still didnt look to be that great.. but it really blew me away... this is better than any of the live action movies combined.. i even got out my coppy of year one and it syncs up almost perfectly. i ended up following along pannel to pannel and the dialog is almost word for word.. i dont think they edited out much, maybey a pannel here or there, but nothing major. until now i had always considered mask of the phantism the best animated movie, but this blows it away.. the only problem i had was the voice of batman, but if you can get past that then its perfect. and im not just a random kid saying this, ive been a huge fan of batman since i was 2 or 3.. in fact i used to tell people that i actualy WAS batman.... xD

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back