Batman cowl from batman arkham knight with mechanism.

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Moviepropmaker6, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Moviepropmaker6

Moviepropmaker6 Active Member

Hey guys.After seeing the new batman cowl from batman arkham knight i set out to make it.
    I will be making an ultracal lifecast,sculpting in wed clay,molded in pinkysil platinum cure silicone,and. Gravity poured in epoxycast epoxy resin,then painted in flat black spray paint and gloss black spray paint.for the mechanism i am going to be using stepper motor actuators with tracks and then everything attached onto a black lycra morph mask.

The mask will be cast in pieces and motorised to come together like a puzzle in the game.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    disasterology likes this.
  2. Moviepropmaker6

Do u guys think my motorization plan will work?

3. shpidorman

shpidorman New Member

I think as long as the motors don't take up too much room you can do it :) You might want to try some sort of lightweight metal wiring. I'm sure it will take some adjustments along the way.

Moviepropmaker6 likes this.
  4. Moviepropmaker6

Thanks man,i think the motors won't be a problem,i picked the absolute smallest of them all at my local hardware store.

Attached Files:

5. Moviepropmaker6

Unfortunately,i will not be posting any progress or pics or even start the mask until 10 weeks pass,because school gets in the way.please do not give up on this thread,thinking i will never post anything.absolutely promise lots and lots of progress in 10 weeks,

regards,

Moviepropmaker6

6. Moviepropmaker6

Do you guys know a way to make the jaw piece glossy while sculpted in clay like in the 7th picture?

7. frentraken

frentraken New Member

I was thinking of making linear actuators with muscle wire and springs. Springs to shut it, and the muscle wire to open it. Just need to find a 3d model that I can start modifying with the anchor points, and then 3d print the pieces.

Moviepropmaker6 likes this.
  8. Moviepropmaker6

Woah,that actually sounds like a really good mechanism plan.more technical than mine.Do you have a thread on it?

9. Moviepropmaker6

10. Moviepropmaker6

The file i gave you is for a small bust so you need to enlarge it quite a bit.

11. Moviepropmaker6

12. frentraken

frentraken New Member

Not started anything yet no. Similar situation to you no real time at the moment, and been looking for a decent model of the cowl with all the sections. My modeling skills are lack luster at best so hoping to find a completed file that I can just start tweaking.

13. Moviepropmaker6

I'll notify you of a batman arkham knight cowl on this thread if i come across any

14. shpidorman

shpidorman New Member

If you don't have a plan to place the motors yet, I suggest putting them at the top of the neck piece, or beside your ears. The second might get loud but they both offer a bit of stability and concealment. Plus you could angle the wire through a loop on the front of the ear (your ears, not the ones on top) piece so that it pulls the forehead down just like in the game.

15. Moviepropmaker6

your second plan the one with the ears was the one i had planned to do

- - - Updated - - -

I thank you and frentaken so much.thanks for giving me new ideas

16. Moviepropmaker6

i dont really want to do the neck piece because in the game, the neck piece is part of the suit the actual.cowl/mask is only a full head,no neck and no chin mask

Attached Files:

17. shpidorman

shpidorman New Member

Totally fair :) I wish you tons of luck. Crafting hard shell masks is hard when they need to cover the back. I'm currently facing delimmas with this myself!

18. Moviepropmaker6

thanks alot for everything,i promise pictures and progress soon

19. Moviepropmaker6

I have changed my mind about the motorization.i will not be doing my original plan because the shutting of the pieces is automatic but the opening has to be manually done by hand.thats why i will be using a pinion gear and a rack gear.the pinion and rack automatically shut the pieces and automatically open the pieces

reborn117 likes this.
  20. Sieg

Sieg Member

Have any of you guys seen how it separates? I noticed some pieces move when he takes it off when first going into the cell in the game in the JL 3000 skin, but I think it's the same for the regular suit for the game. I can try to get some video of it or something, but I got jumpy with the share button and lost the replay when I saw it the first time hahaha.

21. Moviepropmaker6

google batman arkham knight hush side mission ,it hasreally nice footage of the seperation

22. Moviepropmaker6

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hey

guys ,so Iwent ahead and got some stuff that will be delivered from ebay.so yeah i ordered 5 14mm thick dc motors.(the thicker the more the mask has to bulge off my head)and i also got a black morph mask to hold all the pieces of the mask on,and i went ahead and ordered a bunch of miscellaneous spur gears racks and pulleys.

Fastestfanalive likes this.
  23. Moviepropmaker6

For some reason i keep on changing my mind about the mechanism.but this plan is my final one.
    i'd like to thank frentaken for helping me with this idea.i will be using stepper motor actuators.this plan is by far the easisest and most efficient.

as u can see in the pic below the stepper motor actuator has a track which when something is place on it once it is turning it will make the object go one side or the other
    image.jpg

24. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

This is going to be a really cool build

25. Moviepropmaker6

Thanks so much bro

26. Moviepropmaker6

Do any of u guys no if i can power several stepper motor driver boards with one battery? As in connecting all the positive wires to the positive terminal and all the negative wires to the negative terminalof only one battery.do i have to have a separate battery to power each board.

or let alone that,can i use a battery with an arduino or driver board or does it have to be an ac to dc power supply?

27. Moviepropmaker6

Hi again, just wanted to show you guys a few new things and materials i got: WED clay and plaster cloth or bandage.

image.jpg image.jpg

28. Moviepropmaker6

Just got my stepper motor actuators in the mail,hoping to start this project in 4 weeks

image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  29. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

If you get the data sheet for your stepper motors, you can find out what your full load current draw is on them. this will dictate how many batteries you need when you have decided on how many motors are required etc. post the detail here and Im sure someone can help.

30. Moviepropmaker6

Thanks for answering,the number of motors i am using is 7 and i dont exactly get what you mean by full load current draw

31. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

If you can access the data sheet for the motor, post a picture of it, or if its online, post it here. Basically you are looking for the amount of electricity that the motor draws when it is continuously running - then you will need the data sheet for the battery that you want to use, and figure out how many motors one battery can handle.

32. Moviepropmaker6

Thanks i will post a pic of the site. And see if i can find something,by the way i sent you a message but you dont need to care about that

33. Moviepropmaker6

Only things i could find

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

34. Fawbish

Fawbish Sr Member

Images havent worked there. Is there a website link?

35. Forge

Forge Member

Hi, I have only limited experience with steppers but just something to watch out for. Some controllers work by grounding the stepper coils, like in a darlington pair, as in all the coils are energised and rotation happens by de-energising coils in sequence. Naturally this is not what you want as it will drain the battery and heat up the motor even when it is not running.You will hear a hum off the motor because it is essentially stalled between coils, in some systems this can help with accuracy as it acts like a brake and helps prevent overrun or missed steps. Best of luck with the build.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  36. Moviepropmaker6

Thanks alot,i'll see if my stepper controller uses the energizing coils thing you are talking about

37. Moviepropmaker6

Hey,just wanted to ask a quick question: so im going to be molding the back and front of my head with plaster cloth,for the back do u guys know if a mirror at the front and back of my head would let me see the back of my head so i place the plaster strips more accurately?

38. Bigbat23

Bigbat23 Well-Known Member

Whoa! You plan to do it yourself!? BIG mistake! You definitely need someone else there with you. I've had my wife do both of mine.

39. Moviepropmaker6

thanks for telling me but if you have time search up ' alex the movie geek' on youtube and then go to his channel ,and you should find one of his videos on how to make a latex batman cowl.he molds the front and back of his head with plaster strips and has no problem doing it by himself.and besides i've molded the front of my face with plaster strips 3 times before.and i've molded the back of my head with plaster strips 1 time before.my only problem with that was trying to see where i havent put enough plaster strips.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  40. Bigbat23

Bigbat23 Well-Known Member

I have seen that video before. When I did mine, I did past my shoulders. I was sculpting a full cowl. Plus it's just safer having someone else there. But if you feel you can do it yourself, by all means, proceed. Good luck

41. Moviepropmaker6

I wish i could do past my shoulders ,because i love silicone mask making.and for silicone masks it is good to have it below the shoulders.but when i made the other head molds it was only to the neck.which isn't very hard to do by yourself

42. Moviepropmaker6

Hey guys,this morning i was taking apart an old electronic children's spiderman mask and i found a really cool plastic forehead/top of head piece.and then i got an idea: to use this piece as a base for my batman forehead piece,the only thing i have to do now is sand off the pieces on top

the red thing is what im talking about not the latex azog mask underneath,please press on the pictures to see them right side up,i dont know why the picture uploader made them upside down

image.jpg image.jpg

43. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

It sort of reminds me of the tech cowl from Batman v Superman

44. Moviepropmaker6

Hi again,I finally have some progress.

These few days i made a mold of my head with plaster strips and cast my head in ultracal.i will post some sculpting pics tommorow

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 531307 View attachment 531306

45. Moviepropmaker6

I guess the photos didnt work anyway here are the same and new ones

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  46. Moviepropmaker6

I dont know why the pictures still aren't working.one last try,here is a picture of all the separate sculpted pieces.the piece with the two horns cracked in half and as you can see two of the back pieces did too,that's why i sculpted them with
    polymorph friendly plastic.
    WORK - WIN_20150925_101023.JPG :(all the other pictures don't work, tomorrow i'll try to post pictures of the silicone molding part.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  47. E60flip345

E60flip345 Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  48. E60flip345

Cowl.png Here it is if you are curious

49. Moviepropmaker6

for free?it looks like a really good file

50. E60flip345

Yep, free, if that link i sent you doesn't work either re pm me or join the facebook group,i suggest joining the group because they have like 1000 + files, all free.

ecuador likes this.