Batman Begins Batsuit Closet

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by gregday, Aug 17, 2012.

1. gregday

gregday Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

From the scene in Batman Begins when Bruce rushes down to the cave to go after Rachel at Arkham.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's also this photo, a promotional shot released during the production of Begins that served as my original inspiration:

[​IMG]

And finally, after about 4 years of already working on this, I came in contact with the set designer and production designer for the film, and got my hand on a couple of photos from the set of the actual armoire itself in full detailed color. This much was never seen on film, so there was no need for me to go as far as I did (no one will ever recognize the detail, but I would know...)

[​IMG]

The cowl and gauntlets are real deal, cast by Infrno. He also cast the armor and is responsible for the final look and undersuit mounting. The initial sculpt was Dullam's V3. Belt and Grapple Gun sculpted by Keith Billanti, completed and painted by Johan Leiter. Boots are from Herowares, which I believe David Pea was responsible for before his UD Replicas venture. Cape is inkmonkey's, the best around, period. Steel batarangs are from synasp.

All I can really take credit for is building the armoire and getting everything together.

The armoire is made from the absolute cheapest pine wood I could find and took me a very long time to stain to my liking. I've installed overhead lights that come on when the doors open too. I know I still don't have the bottom set of door handles, and I'm okay with that :) The ones I do have are linked up to wooden gear assemblies inside the doors. Turn the handles just like Bruce does, and the wooden posts unlock the doors so it can open. The hardware all steel or brass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nexus6 likes this.
  2. gregday

I forgot to mention, I started getting into props in 2005 after seeing Begins and thinking it would be cool to have a real metal batarang. Then things just went out of control from there :) After I got a cowl I wanted a good way to display it, and decided to go all the way and build the armoire. I'm not quite at liberty to say what I paid for each piece since I didn't make those myself. But I probably spent close to $1600 on various pieces and experiments getting the armoire to the point it's at today. I think I started on it in 2006.

Specifically I am proud of the overall appearance and astonishment on the face of someone who opens the doors for the first time. I spent a very long time getting subtle details about lighting, shadows, angles, color blends, all pitch perfect so that when you see it, you really feel transported to another world. My favorite thing is when I see a grown man open the doors, and just burst into uncontrollable joy because they know they are seeing Batman's own suit. It's childlike wonder and it's irreplaceable. Materially, I really like those batarangs. They are heavy and hard and could really mess you up. Can't take credit for making them though :)

3. Rdmaul

Rdmaul Well-Known Member

This is Incredible, no other words needed

4. Ziga

Ziga Active Member

Pure awesomeness.

5. Solochaser

Solochaser Well-Known Member

what!? This total epic awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member

This thread is winning (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Whose BB suit build is that? Or is that your own? It looks really clean, may even be cleaner than the screen used one!

I've seen that kind of utility belt setup both here and on eBay, who built that and is it wearable?

7. Spoons

Spoons Well-Known Member

Fantastic!

8. gregday

In the post I explained where the suit came from. Most of the credit should go to Infrno, who cleaned up the Dullam V3 and made it look laser cut. he also nicely tinted the urethane to make it look like foam, while keeping the bat emblem slightly glossy. That part isn't screen accurate, but it does look great.

The belt was built by Johann Leiter, but the original sculpt is Keith Billanti. The awesome paint job is all Leiter. The equipment is in a Pelican 1720 rifle case.

Everything is 100% wearable. Also, notice I never acquired the suit legs. The goal from day 1 was the armoire display.

HyruleInfantry likes this.
  9. hellboy120

hellboy120 Member

Super awesome! The belt and weapons looks great too!

10. madmantrez

madmantrez New Member

That's amazing!

11. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]
    AWESOME! DO WANT!

12. theavengers2012

theavengers2012 Member

awesome replica

13. VaultUK

VaultUK Well-Known Member

Looks great,

14. Sundowner

I can't get over how cool this is. I need a new project to tackle and this may be it!

15. Gingerhulk

Gingerhulk New Member

You're my hero!!

16. jollyskeleton

jollyskeleton Active Member

oh man, this is so awesome, the word "awesome" doesn't even cut it!

17. The-Clayster

The-Clayster Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous in a wonderful way. Great collection, man!

18. provista29

provista29 New Member

Wish I could be able to do the same for my collection

19. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

I think...you just won the Internet(y)thumbsup

20. Sundowner

Ok I'm doing it. Greg I may bend your ear soon.

21. merkymerx

merkymerx Active Member

The Begins suit is my absolute favorite among all the incarnations. I'm so happy I stumbled upon this. I've always wanted this particular display ever since I saw it in the movie. The work you've done is absolutely stunning. This is the only way I'd choose to store and display a BB outfit (if I owned one haha)

Amazing work and thank you for sharing! :)

22. reezer

reezer Member

That's awesome work.

23. planet

planet Well-Known Member

Its what everyone dreams to have . That is by far the nicest cowl I have EVER seen.

24. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are you sure you didn't break into Wayne Manor and steal all of this amazing gear? Or break onto the film set and steal it?

Incredible Batgear, and a killer display replica of the wardrobe closet. I wish I had the muscles to fill out a Batsuit, or at least the room to tackle large prop projects like that wardrobe. So freaking awesome!

25. gregday

Thanks everyone. I was definitely going for the "stolen from Wayne Manor" look and feel. I love how the armoire itself doesn't stand out too much. At most it just looks like an old, beat-up, Eastern import. It doesn't draw that much attention just sitting in the corner of a room.

I'll try to get some pictures of the inner parts later that show how the suit and cowl mounts are made, and the door-activated lighting and gear lock system.

26. Sundowner

Yes please!

27. cjor

cjor New Member

this is absolutely amazing. I am incredibly jealous.

28. gregday

Not really part of the Nolan series, but I couldn't help picking up one of the very last SDSTUDIOS all-metal Batguns. This thing is so boss.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I haven't forgotten about more detailed closet pictures. It just takes a little preparation since I'll need to remove the suit and stuff to show how it's made :)

Sundowner likes this.
  29. Sundowner

That is pretty darn cool. Looking like a lot of moving pieces.

30. gregday

Yes! The launcher separates from the reel, the dart is fully insertable/removable, the handle folds back, the trigger is spring-loaded, and the cable spins freely inside the reel window. The thing weighs a couple of pounds so when you pick it up it really feels like a real, working, handgun of some type. Now I have to find a case or display for it that complements it as well as the closet complements the suit.

31. Sundowner

I never realized that the handle folded down. I just figured some of them had handle and some didnt :facepalm

32. batmanbeyond96

batmanbeyond96 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gregday, Your Work Is Spectacular:thumbsup. But I Was Wondering Where You Got The Briefcase, Foam Templates, Plaque, And Those Three Blueprints That Are Sitting In The Case In The Second Picture? I Would Be A Big Help & I Would Really Appreciate Your Assistance

33. gregday

The equipment case is a Pelican 1720 rifle case. The plaque came on the case that my Bronze Armory Begins belt shipped in years ago. That belt and it's case were pretty crap, but I kept the little plaque that Allan made. I would guess any trophy shop or engraver could make one up.

The foam is the foam that came in the case. One of the reasons I chose the 1720 is that it comes with flat foam instead of egg crate texture. As for the template cutouts for the equipment, an electric carving knife (sold in the hunting section of your local outdoors/hunting store) does a great job of slicing up intricate shapes. Just trace an outline and keep a slow, steady hand.

The schematic drawings I think came from someone here. Just print em out and laminate them. The belt and grapple ones are pretty accurate. The memory cloth one is fan concept.

http://seraphim.ecsis.net/~gregday/schematics/Utility Belt Info Card.jpg

http://seraphim.ecsis.net/~gregday/schematics/Grapple Gun Info Card.jpg

http://seraphim.ecsis.net/~gregday/schematics/Memory Cloth Info Card.jpg

34. Sundowner

Pretty cool paper props

35. arrow105

arrow105 New Member

WOW!!!!!!, there really are no words to decribe how cool this. Amazing!!!!:thumbsup

36. Blown Z06

Blown Z06 New Member

That is an amazing collection you have!

37. Magison

Magison New Member

Whoa...

38. Wereleo

Wereleo New Member

That is simply amazing! It would be awesome to have the closet at home with the Begins suit and gadgets in it. It must truly feel like being Batman! :)

39. xparlootx

xparlootx New Member

amazing detail on the grapple gun hard case

40. priestrorschach

priestrorschach Member

love it. if i ever had the money. i would do one where it comes out of the floor...

41. mynameschris

mynameschris Active Member

If I ever had the money I too, well actually I would have both, but it would cost enough to just buy both a Begins and Dark Knight suit, never mind accessories and building the different storage cases!

42. InfiniTTTy

InfiniTTTy New Member

Absolutely incredible! You're an inspiration! I'm a big batman fan and have quite a collection, though not a lot of props. Your post might change that!

43. Mr. K

Mr. K Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's nice to see new pictures of your setup!

For many years this build has been a great source of inspiration for my own collection, and is by far one of the most impressive costume displays i've ever seen.

Now... TDK aluminum/glass display anyone?

44. mynameschris

mynameschris Active Member

I need one of those in my life (or as I said both) ... preferably one which comes out of the floor for that "yeh, I'm Batman" moment when friends arent expecting it - I need to get a suit first though!

45. DanielS

DanielS Well-Known Member

One of the coolest things I've seen in a while!
    Very cool indeed!

46. Yorke

Yorke New Member

This was pretty much my reaction from just looking at your photos. Simply amazing. Well done for all the hard, but amazing work!

47. kpspideynuts

kpspideynuts Member

the bat suit looks incredible fantastic work i love it thanks for sharing

48. leviathan8609

leviathan8609 Member

Sick! I love it!

49. SGTDK88

SGTDK88 New Member

oh my good lord.. it looks EXCELLENT!!! greeeeeeeen with envy! haha..

btw, do you mind me asking where u got the belt, rangs n gun from?

cheers "bruce"..haha! :)

50. Devohter

Devohter Member

Solid collection!