Batman Baddie - The Red Hood Sculpt

Alright, so after a move and settling in, and enjoying the summer this project was obviously put on the back burner. I have started to tweek it a bit. I moved the lips up and I'm reshaping it a bit. New pics to follow soon enough. Sorry for the lack of info. Hah, hope people are still interested. :)

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the rake tool in his hand. I have a smooth one but can't find the rake kind. I got this pic from Darth Mavado's Red Hood thread over here but I didn't want to revive an old thread just to ask a question.

On another note, pics are incoming soon. Promise! Haven't forgotten.

Thanks all.

It's called a Kemper serrated aluminum rib scraper.
I see in the newest pic the first version of Jason Todd's Red Hood mask, did you drop the Outlaws version?

Thanks for the info. No, didn't drop it. That's actually a pic of RPF member Darth Mavado's sculpt. The link is in my previous post but it hasn't been active for a while.

So here's an update, with pics! :)

I went out yesterday before Judge Spartan told me about the scraper and found a Halloween pumpkin scraper and bought that for now. I also got a wire brush and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (strongest I could find/is this good to smooth?).

Now for the current state of the sculpt... The more I looked at my previous pics the more like an alien the whole thing looked to me. So I took Judge Spartan's recommendation and moved the lips up and thinned them out a bit. I also have been working on the inside area of the eyes and added the ridges that the New52 mask has.

The sculpt looks huge in the pics because the head I'm using is small and I added quite a bit of clay to estimate the size of a regular adult head.

Please let me know what you guys think! Like always, brutal honesty is the best way I can fix things. Please let me know!

Now from what I've read the next step to smooth it out and take out lumps is to scrape most of the area in a cris-cross pattern and then smooth it with the alcohol and a sponge. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank all!

First off, I love the eye details- VERY COOL!!
Secondly, The 91% alcohol is the right stuff, just don't over do it.
Third, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-RA...651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4605e2491b , check out these rakes, these are sculpting rakes and the set has from more aggressive to less aggressive for finalizing the sculpt. When all is said and done, wet your fingers with cold water and rub the clay lightly and that will help "buff" the clay smooth.
Best of luck, BTW the lips look like they're in the proper place and look good..

Last edited:
First off, I love the eye details- VERY COOL!!
Secondly, The 91% alcohol is the right stuff, just don't over do it.
Third, Set of 4 Rakes Sculpting Tools Clay Modeling Wax Carving Polymer Clay RS 1 | eBay , check out these rakes, these are sculpting rakes and the set has from more aggressive to less aggressive for finalizing the sculpt. When all is said and done, wet your fingers with cold water and rub the clay lightly and that will help "buff" the clay smooth.
Best of luck, BTW the lips look like they're in the proper place and look good..

Thanks for all the info and all the help Judge Spartan. I ordered a set of the rakes you recommended. We'll see where this goes. Glad I don't have a deadline or anything. lol. I'm a stickler for perfection and I feel this still has so many problems. I wish I knew someone near me that worked in clay I could learn from. Oh, well... guess I'll just have to keep practicing. :rolleyes

Thanks for all the info and all the help Judge Spartan. I ordered a set of the rakes you recommended. We'll see where this goes. Glad I don't have a deadline or anything. lol. I'm a stickler for perfection and I feel this still has so many problems. I wish I knew someone near me that worked in clay I could learn from. Oh, well... guess I'll just have to keep practicing. :rolleyes

Where are you located?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back