Batman Baddie - The Red Hood Sculpt

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by enygma214, Mar 29, 2012.

1. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

Hey guys! I'm really excited to show what I've been working on. It is a Red Hood sculpt from the new 52 series. For those who don't know this is Jason Todd the second Boy Wonder, Robin, who got his head smashed in with a crowbar by the Joker! :behave Great stories, awesome character! This is my first sculpt in many years so I'll be looking for any feedback you guys might have. I've been lurking on the rpf for a long time, way before I even joined and I have to say that I have seen some of the most incredible work anywhere. If this goes well I have some other characters in mind that I want to do after. So here's hoping this one turns out good.

I want to send a big "Thank You" to those who have inspired me to give this a shot with the amazing work I've seen them do. Check them Out! :)
    FrogmanStudio's Hawkman Helmet
    westies 14's "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle!
    MrGzilla's Creature from the Black Lagoon Mask
    Yarko's Loki Helmet

Now onto a bit about my sculpt. I am using Monster Makers clay and sculpting on top of a CFX lg size armature. I find the clay easy to use and not sticky, so easy to just rub off your fingers. The sculpt itself is only two days of work with maybe 8-10hrs of work total so there is a ton more that has to be done. The eyes, nose, lips and chin still need tons of work. But I have started to get the overall shape. I am a stickler for perfection so please hit me with anything you guys see that needs work or looks off.

Now the pics! Enjoy & be sure to leave me feedback! :cool

Getting the overall shape.
    View attachment 88876 View attachment 88877 View attachment 88878

Defining some features and thinning out the cheek areas.
    View attachment 88879 View attachment 88880 View attachment 88881 View attachment 88882 View attachment 88884

Some reference shots of the character and what I'm going for.
    View attachment 88888 View attachment 88889 View attachment 88890

2. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

I've got these comics and this is my favorite version of the Red Hood. Keep up the great work...

3. Sid

Sid New Member

Where did you get your bust form?

4. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

It is called a Joe Human display bust from Composite Effects...

5. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

@Judge Spartan - Thanks for the comment. I'll try to do it justice for a fellow fan. I collect the comics also and it's my favorite version as well. Hopefully there will be some crossovers with Batman.

6. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

@Sid - Like Judge Spartan said it's a Joe Human display LG and you can purchase it from these sites.

http://www.compositeeffects.com $54.95
    https://www.monstermakers.com $54.95

I purchased mine from Monster Makers because I also order their Monster Makers clay @ $23.75 for a 5lb box. Ordered 4 and 1 was enough for what I've currently sculpted with a bit left over.

7. Sid

Sid New Member

Thanks!

8. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

nice man. I was wondering if anyone was going to try and do one from the new comics.

so the big question... are you adding the mouth or not?

My only concern with adding the mouth is that it might look like a power ranger mask

9. BlackKaos

BlackKaos Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck! I've always liked the Red Hood/Jason Todd character, especially the new 52 comic version. Good back story. Like the base sculpt so far. Can't wait to see the finished suit.

10. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

No prob Sid!

11. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

Hey Lord Magneto! Yes! I am definitely adding the lips. I think it will take me a while to get them in a way that I like them. The lips usually have like a blank expression and I think that's harder than making them happy or mad.

As for it looking like a PR mask I can see your concern (I didn't even think of that) but I hope that what I'm doing with the eyes will make people respond with a "*, that's a nice Red Hood" and not a "is that the Red Power Ranger?". lol

Here's hoping it turns out as good as I want it to be. Update coming soon!

12. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

Thanks BlackKaos! I'll try not to let you down. Glad to have some Red Hood fans in the forums.

13. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

Re: Batman Baddie - The Red Hood Sculpt (1st UPDATE!)

Hey Guys!

So here's my first update.

So after some work I realized that I was gonna have trouble modeling the eye area, specifically the white area so I figured I could use a pair of old safety glasses.
    View attachment 89153

I cut the glasses in half and used my Dremel to round it out a bit. I then drew a template of the white area and marked out the extras. I then proceeded to kindly rip half his face off to test the size and see how it looked. Come to find out the template I drew was gonna be too big so I drew another smaller set that came out pretty well. You can see the difference in size of the template in the last pic.
    View attachment 89154 View attachment 89155 View attachment 89156 View attachment 89157

Covering the lenses. And trying to keep the area I marked out with the template clean of clay.
    View attachment 89158

As it stands today. Eyes and nose redone. Added some lips (please tell me what you guys think). So I feel all in all it's taking shape. But please comment and tell me what you think should be fixed, adjusted or completely redone. :)
    View attachment 89159 View attachment 89160 View attachment 89161 View attachment 89162

14. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Looking good I'm not a fan of the mask with the mouth and nose but keep up the good work

15. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Everything looks great... The lips have a desent shape but needs to be moved up..

16. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

I guess not everyone can be fan, right Prince NEO? lol. Maybe I'll do a classic one later on. :p

17. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

Hmmm. I'll take a look at it. Thanks, Judge Spartan.

18. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

19. Prince NEO

Prince NEO Sr Member

Yup but still keep it up I'm subscribed and looking forward to what you come up with when you make the classic I might have to hound you for a cast :D

20. DarklyDreaming

DarklyDreaming Member

Not a fan of the nose and lips on the Red Hood, but if you ever do the classic Jason Todd red hood, LMK

21. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

Alright, so after a move and settling in, and enjoying the summer this project was obviously put on the back burner. I have started to tweek it a bit. I moved the lips up and I'm reshaping it a bit. New pics to follow soon enough. Sorry for the lack of info. Hah, hope people are still interested. :)

22. Gearsofhalo

Gearsofhalo Active Member

i know i am! keep on goin!!!

23. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Glad to see you're back at it. I'm still interested:)

24. Thewomanwarhead

Thewomanwarhead Active Member

I shall await the new pics- interesting sculpt

25. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the rake tool in his hand. I have a smooth one but can't find the rake kind. I got this pic from Darth Mavado's Red Hood thread over here but I didn't want to revive an old thread just to ask a question.

On another note, pics are incoming soon. Promise! Haven't forgotten.

Thanks all.

26. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

It's called a Kemper serrated aluminum rib scraper.

27. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

Thanks for the info. No, didn't drop it. That's actually a pic of RPF member Darth Mavado's sculpt. The link is in my previous post but it hasn't been active for a while.

28. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

So here's an update, with pics! :)

I went out yesterday before Judge Spartan told me about the scraper and found a Halloween pumpkin scraper and bought that for now. I also got a wire brush and 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (strongest I could find/is this good to smooth?).

Now for the current state of the sculpt... The more I looked at my previous pics the more like an alien the whole thing looked to me. So I took Judge Spartan's recommendation and moved the lips up and thinned them out a bit. I also have been working on the inside area of the eyes and added the ridges that the New52 mask has.

The sculpt looks huge in the pics because the head I'm using is small and I added quite a bit of clay to estimate the size of a regular adult head.

Please let me know what you guys think! Like always, brutal honesty is the best way I can fix things. Please let me know!

Now from what I've read the next step to smooth it out and take out lumps is to scrape most of the area in a cris-cross pattern and then smooth it with the alcohol and a sponge. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank all!

29. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

First off, I love the eye details- VERY COOL!!
    Secondly, The 91% alcohol is the right stuff, just don't over do it.
    Third, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-RA...651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4605e2491b , check out these rakes, these are sculpting rakes and the set has from more aggressive to less aggressive for finalizing the sculpt. When all is said and done, wet your fingers with cold water and rub the clay lightly and that will help "buff" the clay smooth.
    Best of luck, BTW the lips look like they're in the proper place and look good..

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  30. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

Thanks for all the info and all the help Judge Spartan. I ordered a set of the rakes you recommended. We'll see where this goes. Glad I don't have a deadline or anything. lol. I'm a stickler for perfection and I feel this still has so many problems. I wish I knew someone near me that worked in clay I could learn from. Oh, well... guess I'll just have to keep practicing. :rolleyes

31. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

Where are you located?

32. enygma214

enygma214 New Member

I'm in central Massachusetts.