Batman Baddie - The Red Hood Sculpt

enygma214

Hey guys! I'm really excited to show what I've been working on. It is a Red Hood sculpt from the new 52 series. For those who don't know this is Jason Todd the second Boy Wonder, Robin, who got his head smashed in with a crowbar by the Joker! :behave Great stories, awesome character! This is my first sculpt in many years so I'll be looking for any feedback you guys might have. I've been lurking on the rpf for a long time, way before I even joined and I have to say that I have seen some of the most incredible work anywhere. If this goes well I have some other characters in mind that I want to do after. So here's hoping this one turns out good.

I want to send a big "Thank You" to those who have inspired me to give this a shot with the amazing work I've seen them do. Check them Out! :)
FrogmanStudio's Hawkman Helmet
westies 14's "Real" Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle!
MrGzilla's Creature from the Black Lagoon Mask
Yarko's Loki Helmet

Now onto a bit about my sculpt. I am using Monster Makers clay and sculpting on top of a CFX lg size armature. I find the clay easy to use and not sticky, so easy to just rub off your fingers. The sculpt itself is only two days of work with maybe 8-10hrs of work total so there is a ton more that has to be done. The eyes, nose, lips and chin still need tons of work. But I have started to get the overall shape. I am a stickler for perfection so please hit me with anything you guys see that needs work or looks off.

Now the pics! Enjoy & be sure to leave me feedback! :cool

Getting the overall shape.
View attachment 88876 View attachment 88877 View attachment 88878

Defining some features and thinning out the cheek areas.
View attachment 88879 View attachment 88880 View attachment 88881 View attachment 88882 View attachment 88884

Some reference shots of the character and what I'm going for.
View attachment 88888 View attachment 88889 View attachment 88890

I've got these comics and this is my favorite version of the Red Hood. Keep up the great work...

@Judge Spartan - Thanks for the comment. I'll try to do it justice for a fellow fan. I collect the comics also and it's my favorite version as well. Hopefully there will be some crossovers with Batman.

nice man. I was wondering if anyone was going to try and do one from the new comics.

so the big question... are you adding the mouth or not?

My only concern with adding the mouth is that it might look like a power ranger mask

Good luck! I've always liked the Red Hood/Jason Todd character, especially the new 52 comic version. Good back story. Like the base sculpt so far. Can't wait to see the finished suit.

nice man. I was wondering if anyone was going to try and do one from the new comics.

so the big question... are you adding the mouth or not?

My only concern with adding the mouth is that it might look like a power ranger mask

Hey Lord Magneto! Yes! I am definitely adding the lips. I think it will take me a while to get them in a way that I like them. The lips usually have like a blank expression and I think that's harder than making them happy or mad.

As for it looking like a PR mask I can see your concern (I didn't even think of that) but I hope that what I'm doing with the eyes will make people respond with a "Damn, that's a nice Red Hood" and not a "is that the Red Power Ranger?". lol

Here's hoping it turns out as good as I want it to be. Update coming soon!

Good luck! I've always liked the Red Hood/Jason Todd character, especially the new 52 comic version. Good back story. Like the base sculpt so far. Can't wait to see the finished suit.

Thanks BlackKaos! I'll try not to let you down. Glad to have some Red Hood fans in the forums.

Re: Batman Baddie - The Red Hood Sculpt (1st UPDATE!)

Hey Guys!

So here's my first update.

So after some work I realized that I was gonna have trouble modeling the eye area, specifically the white area so I figured I could use a pair of old safety glasses.
View attachment 89153

I cut the glasses in half and used my Dremel to round it out a bit. I then drew a template of the white area and marked out the extras. I then proceeded to kindly rip half his face off to test the size and see how it looked. Come to find out the template I drew was gonna be too big so I drew another smaller set that came out pretty well. You can see the difference in size of the template in the last pic.
View attachment 89154 View attachment 89155 View attachment 89156 View attachment 89157

Covering the lenses. And trying to keep the area I marked out with the template clean of clay.
View attachment 89158

As it stands today. Eyes and nose redone. Added some lips (please tell me what you guys think). So I feel all in all it's taking shape. But please comment and tell me what you think should be fixed, adjusted or completely redone. :)
View attachment 89159 View attachment 89160 View attachment 89161 View attachment 89162

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back