BATMAN 89 foam build

ackling17

Hi i am trying to build an 89 suit using foam, so far i have made a duct tape dummy of myself, scaled and printed out a photo of the latex chest piece. i have seen some videos on youtube about heat forming muscles into foam so i thought it may work. does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about the thickness i should use or templates out there?

Batman templates:
Search - The Models Resource

Open up in pepakura designer 4,however you would want to scale each limb separately as no body is identical,especially compared to video game 3D models.If you have it,use 3D software to separate each armor piece and save them as .obj files.Then open and scale in pepakura.

With regard to the muscles...I tried scoring the outlines of the ab section at the back of the foam and then heat-form it,but I personally couldn't get it done.There are some youtube videos about this technique,but it also depends on how flexible your foam is and how well it can 'take the heat'.My foam templates tend to shrink when I use too much heat,so I stick to using templates for muscles and cut valley/mountain angles at the back of the foam.This still creates a lot of tension on the foam armor,so they are no luxury.Other than that I wouldn't know.
Good luck and looking forward to your build thread !

Last edited:
I have thought about the same project, but I haven't worked up the nerve to try it. Post your progress, I'll be interested to see how it comes along.

Yea since the 89 suit doesn't really have armor plating I will have to do it freehand to try to make it look like an actual suit. I am pretty sure i can do the chest in 2 pieces connected but if not it will turn into a returns suit real fast lol. Waiting for foam in mail right now. Would connecting the shoulders to the chest be a good idea?

You could,but then they will not be full shoulders; more like pauldrons.Up to you what you prefer.
Instead you could divide a regular shoulder into segments and make them 'collapse' like medieval armor.
Chest can be one piece with vertical opening running from armpit to hip on both sides,reclosable with velcro.Also: an opening for the head to go through (looking sideways).Just a thought

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back