Basic Electronics

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, laugh all you want, I never have put any sort of electronics together - but had the hope of adding LED's or sound boards to props.

Does anyone have or can anyone write up a tutorial for basic electronics, adding switches, etc.

Thought I'd ask here at the same time I do my own research online, on the chance someone here might be more helpful than..ehow haha

Thanks in advance

There's really nothing to laugh about. Most people haven't played around with electronics, even in the prop community (at least in my experience, YMMV). And working with circuits isn't easy once you're past the basics.

For a basic LED circuit, check this link out: Simple LED Circuit | TechDose.com

It covers a very simple, one resistor, one LED closed loop circuit. Adding sound boards will range from moderate to difficult depending on if you are using a pre-built board or making your own.

What exactly did you have in mind that you're thinking of doing (the more specifics the better)?

Drewid is right, there's nothing to laugh about, everybody need to start...
Just let us know what you have in mind, may be we could help you.

Every installation could be specific but if you respect simple rules, there's nothing impossible or really hard. :)

Radio Shack has a book called "Getting started in Electronics", which is very useful for figuring out how each componet works in a circuit. Also start out with some electronic's kits. They usually come with a circuit board you just solder the componet's to, and they can be very inexpensive. You can find such kits on various sites, but I would try electronics goldmine. It makes for a good start!

Adding lights and sounds to a model or prop is a great way to get more enjoyment out of something. I love adding lights to models and props. What do you have in mind to add lights and sound to?

:) thanks guys, I was thinking about adding lights (and/or sound depending) to my hardware sabers, seeing as they end up being hollow anyways

I will take a look at everything, really helpful, thank you!

Once you get into it, adding light to a prop is fairly easy. Sound can be much harder.
Beep noises can be achieved with a simple piezo speaker. If you want to play sound files then it gets really tricky. I've had mixed success with attaching a microprocessor to a cheap mp3 player.

When I was new to electronics I found it helpful to work through a couple of simple projects on Instructables .
This is a nice beginners tutorial introducing everything - Basic Electronics
This can help make sense of circuit diagrams before you get stuck into soldering.
And great proof that you don't have to understand a circuit to build it, try makeing a Joule Thief

Radio Shack has a book called "Getting started in Electronics", which is very useful for figuring out how each componet works in a circuit. Also start out with some electronic's kits. They usually come with a circuit board you just solder the componet's to, and they can be very inexpensive. You can find such kits on various sites, but I would try electronics goldmine. It makes for a good start!

This one is great, they also have several simple sircuit books, and the drawings are great.

If you are really interested beyond just for costuming check out the heath kit 200 in 1 electronics lab kits....great basic electronics training.

I don't think they have sold that in years, when they started getting out of electronics parts and started selling audio components and TVs. They are trying to capitalize on the "Maker" movement so maybe some stores have it now.

The Radio Shack Electronics Learning Lab is a nice option
for familiarizing yourself with basic electronics:

7 getting started videos
sportly3's Channel - YouTube

propmaster2000

Depending on exactly what you're doing, pre-made kits are available for all sorts of things. For instance, last time I needed a blinking LED I just bought this and took the board out of its case:

Bright-Red Blinking LED Module - RadioShack.com

The size is deceptive because the case is holding batteries. The LED unit was pretty small. Saved me lots of time and effort.

There are also TONS of ready-to-be programmed sound boards out there. Sites like Hyperdyne Labs might have exactly what you want.

I know some people who simply rip those record-your-own greeting card electronics out and use them in their props.

There are breadboards you can buy, or childrens electronics kits from places such as Heathkit (ahh, childhood memories).. that can help get one accustomed to working with simple electronics theory. Once you get the basics down, then you can move into custom boards fairly quickly IMO.

I know some people who simply rip those record-your-own greeting card electronics out and use them in their props.

There are breadboards you can buy, or childrens electronics kits from places such as Heathkit (ahh, childhood memories).. that can help get one accustomed to working with simple electronics theory. Once you get the basics down, then you can move into custom boards fairly quickly IMO.

The best way to start out!
You always need to breadboard circuits before attempting to solder to Veroboard. Unless, it's a simple circuit.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back