Bandai Star Wars Beauty Shots (Falcons and Walkers and X-Wings oh My!)

JNordgren42

Sr Member
I pulled out my DSLR and lights and made a quick jury rigged backdrop and grabbed some good shots of my growing model collection. I really love how the 1/72 X-Wing shots came out. I'll probably move them into Photoshop at some point to add some effects.

1/72 X-Wing. I managed to almost completely eliminate the backdrop and stand on this one.
_DSC3145.jpg

The business end:
_DSC3149.jpg

A nice jaunty angle:
_DSC3151.jpg

Baby got back:
_DSC3158.jpg

I can't remove the stand without taking this one into Photoshop, but I like the angle.
_DSC3155.jpg

1/144 and 1/72 together, I think they pair up really well.
_DSC3147.jpg

1/144 Falcon:
_DSC3161.jpg

You're all clear kid!
_DSC3164.jpg

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid.
_DSC3176.jpg

1/144 Falcon and X-Wing. What a pair!
_DSC3182.jpg

1/144 X-Wing.
_DSC3183.jpg

_DSC3192.jpg

1/144 Blue Squadron T-70. This is part of the clear TLJ box set that brought me back into modeling. Brush painted with acrylics.
_DSC3205.jpg

Poe's hot-rodded Black One.
_DSC3208.jpg

1/350 Falcon. Also brush painted with acrylics. The grey is much to cool and dark, but it's not bad for the first model I built in at least 10 years.
_DSC3194.jpg

And to round them out, the AT-M6 that was the final model in the clear box set.
_DSC3202.jpg

Fantastic! Im going to have to buy a dslr now haha.
Love how the 2 X-wings just look like they're farther apart.... not different scales.
Cheers,
Josh

Fantastic! Im going to have to buy a dslr now haha.
Love how the 2 X-wings just look like they're farther apart.... not different scales.
Cheers,
Josh
Thanks! Perspective is an interesting phenomenon, the 1/144 is actually closer to the camera. :)

Great work!
Thanks!

Great work!! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks!

Kindred spirit here! I love taking photos of my Bandai models. I actually do cut them out in PS and add backgrounds, laser effects, etc... You can check them out on my IG if you want: @Star_Wars_Battlegrounds
/hijack over.

SB
Wow! Your effects and compositing are amazing!

I love this kind of stuff, plus the models look excellent. Out of curiosity, what settings were you using for the camera and setup?
Nikon D300 with Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D on a heavy aluminum Bogen tripod. ISO 200, 1/8s @ f/11. Natural sunlight from a window on the left and fill from a 3000w LED shop light to above right and slightly behind the camera. The backdrop is just a dark blue window curtain draped over my monitor. I took the blacks down a ton in Lightroom and made other adjustments in post. I'm thinking about getting some Black 3.0 paint for a backdrop and seeing how that works. Or just getting some green screen material...

Nikon D300 with Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D on a heavy aluminum Bogen tripod. ISO 200, 1/8s @ f/11. Natural sunlight from a window on the left and fill from a 3000w LED shop light to above right and slightly behind the camera. The backdrop is just a dark blue window curtain draped over my monitor. I took the blacks down a ton in Lightroom and made other adjustments in post. I'm thinking about getting some Black 3.0 paint for a backdrop and seeing how that works. Or just getting some green screen material...
Thanks for the detailed info! I had been trying to gather techniques and info for what others were doing

Thanks for the detailed info! I had been trying to gather techniques and info for what others were doing

No problem! I forgot to mention I use a remote release to eliminate any camera shake from pressing the shutter button. Also, I should have set manual white balance, but I forgot this time. So the color does wander a little, even though the scene and lighting are the same, there are enough differences in the compositions to play games with the camera's processor.

No problem! I forgot to mention I use a remote release to eliminate any camera shake from pressing the shutter button. Also, I should have set manual white balance, but I forgot this time. So the color does wander a little, even though the scene and lighting are the same, there are enough differences in the compositions to play games with the camera's processor.

Ah yes, I use a timer on my camera, although a remote release would be nicer

I do prefer getting as much of the shot in camera as possible since I don't readily have access to Photoshop

I also have to try using a white balance card to assist when adjusting balance later

Ah yes, I use a timer on my camera, although a remote release would be nicer

I do prefer getting as much of the shot in camera as possible since I don't readily have access to Photoshop

I also have to try using a white balance card to assist when adjusting balance later
A white balance card is a definite must. I need to order a new one, I lost mine on a trip to Oregon last summer.

There are some good open source alternatives to PS, The GIMP is supposedly very excellent. I just go with the genuine article for this though, the Adobe Photography Plan is one of their most reasonably priced offerings. It's $9.99/month for both Photoshop and Lightroom and since I'm pretty heavy into photography, it's a no brainer for me. It gets ridiculously expensive to start adding any of their other apps though. I love Illustrator, but I use Inkscape instead because the expense isn't worth it to me for that particular aspect.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back