Bandai Slave 1 Build (first paint chipping attempt)

skahtul

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I finally got around to build my Bandai Slave 1 kit. I basically built this kit to prepare for building the Finemolds version pictured below. I purchased the Finemolds a while back as I thought when I finally build my 1/72 PG Falcon, this would look good next to it on the wall as they are the same scale.

I have never done any paint chipping with paint like this. The only other time I attempted it was when I did the 1/144 Falcon and for that one, I chipped the decals by scratching and sanding them a bit.

Now I know this is not super accurate and it's maybe a bit over weathered (what can I say, it's the part I like the most...) but any input on your favorite ways to paint chip would be welcome for sure!

The process I used was to mix up XF-2, XF-19 and a few drops of XF-71 & XF-59. Then I just tore up a few of those cheap foam brushes.

For the weathering, I used a mixture of oil paints and pigments. This is the second model I have used the pigments on and it's one of my new favorite ways to add some texture to the weathering process.

Post1.jpg

Post2.jpg

Post3.jpg

Post4.jpg

Post5.jpg

One trick I learned (it was either on Youtube or here) was to let your oil paints sit on cardboard or something else that will absorb the oil for at least a full day. In the past, I had to wait at least a week before they were really dry and ready for an overcoat.

This way the paint seemed to dry much faster. I still waited a while but I was able to do more weathering on it just a few days after and not affect the oil paint.

Post6.jpg

Letting the oil paints dry for a bit before removing all the high spots:

Post7.jpg

Post8.jpg

My next project!

Post9.jpg

Great job David,...it turned out really authentic

Are you going to paint the Jango Slave 1 as Jango’s.....I have that kit in stash too....it’s hard to get good reference photos of it for painting

John

Great job David,...it turned out really authentic

Are you going to paint the Jango Slave 1 as Jango’s.....I have that kit in stash too....it’s hard to get good reference photos of it for painting

John

I have not decided. I have a spot on my wall where I am going to mount my PG Falcon. Initially I had wanted to come up with a way to mount the Falcon, Slave 1 and several TIEs in a 'scene' (wall mounted diorama) but I could not thing of one that had actually existed in the movie.

I think the color scheme on Jango's ship is pretty cool, I may go that route.

^^ Eric ;) ^^

That is excellent work and it looks like you nailed the colors! The chipping effect turned out nicely and the weathering with oils really tied it all together

...but any input on your favorite ways to paint chip would be welcome for sure!

On the Larger version, if you want to get as close as you can to the studio model, the one thing I might suggest for the red "skirt" is to use a pinkish color for the chipping mainly following the panels lines and bottom edge, then add your base color chipping on top of it mostly along the center of the panels lines and the bottom edge. Basically a layered look of red to pinkish, to base

I used a combination of Micro Mask liquid masking fluid and the sponge technique on mine. I basically roughed out the area where the paint had totally worn off y dabbing on the fluid

41356645272_58a299d38a_o.jpg

then after painting and removing the masking, it came out like this

41356664492_0682ea1629_o.jpg

Then in a similar fashion to what you did, I used a ripped sponge to add some pink color around the edges of the red, then went back over the pink with the same technique, but using the base color

41356672432_d4032c9a92_o.jpg

You'll probably do a better job than I did, but that gives of the idea of the layered effect

Also, for the olive green plating on top, I would go for very little chipping if any.

Please don't take that as a knock on your skills ( again it looks fantastic), I think the look they were going for was a newly replaced plating and the studio model seems to have very little chipping there rather than a uniformly chipped all over look

Last edited:
Thanks! I really like the look that you achieved. I think that is for sure much closer to the actual model. I like the idea of the liquid mask, I did not think of that. I had thought about using some of the chipping effect products or even the hairspray method, but I was a bit concerned about how the paint might react in the long run (which may be unfounded).

Thanks again for posting, this gives me some really good ideas for the larger kit.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back