Bandai 1/72 X-Wing: Blue Leader, Rogue One ver.

Talaris

I've at long last completed this model, at least to a point where I'm happy to call it a day. My aim was to try and keep the colour scheme as close to the film Rogue One as possible, using film screens I collected and a detailed wallpaper I found of the fighter.

I realise a few mistakes were made along the way that would take too long to rectify, most notably the blue markings on the engines are too far forward. Still, please have a look and give me your suggestions. I aim to make a lot more X-Wings (I've got another 1/72, 1/48 and 1/29 in my stash), so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Firstly, here is a comparison between my model and the film shot:

Blue Leader R1.jpg

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

I couldn't believe that when Bandai released a Rogue One boxed X-Wing, that they chose Red Leader. Here was a chance to release an X-Wing with an official paint scheme other than Red Squadron, and they ignored it.

I would have much preferred a Blue Leader kit.

Sindariel Actually that’s not entirely true, comparing the stills I noticed the yellow markings differ in colour between Blue and Red squadrons, meaning that I couldn’t use any of the yellow decals provided (except on the engines). Also, the stripes on the fuselage have breaks in different locations, in addition to being 2 different shades of blue (with orange and grey areas too).

I can only assume Bandai thought Red Squadron would have a wider appeal, as with only minor adjustments you could configure them for A New Hope paint schemes.

The markings look pretty much the same to me. It's just a matter of lighting in different scenes, imo:

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story_snapshot_01.38.45.255.jpg

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story_snapshot_01.37.53.192.jpg

Even the weathering is the same, if you take a close look. The CGI guys were pretty lazy. :lol:

Sindariel you’re right that the yellow on the wing looks close to Blue Leader , in which case the decals provided by Bandai are inaccurate for Red Squadron also!

StevenBills Your model looks great too! Your weathering is superior, I think it’s something I need to improve on.

ecl Thank you for your kind words!

Excellent work. I picked up the Rogue One kit and completed the 1/144 fighter but haven't started the 1/72 version yet and you have me seriously giving this consideration.
Sorry if I overlooked it, but if you don't mind sharing do you recall what blue you settled on?
Again, beautiful job. This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't be overly concerned with minor discrepancies between your build and the screen version. I used to let every smallest detail on a build drive me crazy but finally came to the conclusion that 99% of people that will see my builds displayed will be looking at the quality of the finished model but will never notice tiny details.

That's awesome! I literally just finished my Blue Leader last week! :lol: Took a few painting liberties with mine tho...

View attachment 1041463
Nicely done! That kit was my first experience with Bandai.....and what a treat it was. Annnnnnd, I did one from blue squadron too lol

View attachment 1041570

Excellent work on these as well, guys.
Out of curiosity did you use the yellow decals or paint those areas?
I am seriously considering going this route on my Rogue One 1/72 since I've already built the 1/144 Red Rogue and more than a few "Red" X-Wings from the classic trilogy.

I don't know why this is bouncing around in my head (I suppose the sudden, obvious realization that not every X wing need be red or screen accurate) but I'm bouncing around the ideas of green, grey, black or possibly tan "desert strike" or a WW2 based version (maybe based on a P52).

Jimmer That's good advice, thanks for replying. To be honest, for the blue stripes and yellow bits I used custom decals. Two reasons for this were firstly, I had already completed assembling the model, so painting some areas would be problematic, and secondly, I hate masking for paint! I'm not nearly as experienced as most here, this is my first completed project on RPF, and I knew there is more room for error using decals than masking with paint. It did take a long time to apply all of them though, I think there was like 120 in total.

Thanks Talaris,
Again, loved your build.
I am going to have to start looking into custom decals, I've seen some great ones (including those you used).
Also, my painting skills are nowhere near the skill level of most of the builders here.
I've been building kits for couple of years now, but I also maintain several other hobbies so I certainly haven't built my skills to a level I'm content with yet (much better than when I started at least..lol) so custom decals would certainly benefit me.
Thanks again buddy.

This is a great build! Thanks for posting it.

I loved Blue leader in Rogue One. He was a real swashbuckler and reminiscent of WW2 fighter aces. Great to see General Antoc Merrick and his ship brought to life. I have an old X-Wing model lying around, I think this might be the approach I take when I build it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Out of curiosity did you use the yellow decals or paint those areas?
I painted all the blue and yellow markings on mine. Having built a few of these by now, I build it up to the point where you assemble the fuselage halves and stop there for painting.

SB

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back