Bandai 1/72 Red Squadron

Got the astromech for Red 3 painted. What a pain at this size

I really wish Bandai had given some decals for it. They had the foresight to give the alt nose cone and engine nozzle and back hatch orientation

alas...

IMG_4731 (3).JPG
IMG_4743 (2).JPG

Wonderful work. And re-inspiring me to do my "guts out" yellow parts ship sitting in a forlorn corner in the Yavin IV base. All the stripped off panels going to those Red Squad ships to keep 'em flying. :)

Awesom work on your Red Squadron
Back when I did Red5, my original plan was to do the same, but never came up to it. Might start looking again for some decent priced kits yet

Wonderful work. And re-inspiring me to do my "guts out" yellow parts ship sitting in a forlorn corner in the Yavin IV base. All the stripped off panels going to those Red Squad ships to keep 'em flying. :)
That is a cool idea. You should do it!

Awesom work on your Red Squadron
Back when I did Red5, my original plan was to do the same, but never came up to it. Might start looking again for some decent priced kits yet
I've been picking up the Rogue One set kits from the local Hobby Lobby's around here using the 40% coupons. They are starting to get scarce though. I do have 2 more kits for Red 2 and 12 but still need one for Red 10 and possibly Blue Leader.

I was also considering using the Red 3 pyro paint scheme to do a Red 9 or one of the other ones we never saw represented

So now I have to reorganize or figure out a better display than haphazard one I have now. I started to put up some additional shelving but someday I would like one of those glass cabinet types with some nice lighting

IMG_4754.JPG

IMG_4753 (2).JPG

Last edited:
A display idea, given all the backdrop and figures... Maybe have the entire finished squad doing a flyover in "missing man" formation to honor those lost fighting the Empire?

Hey, Analyzer... I just had a thought, and no idea whether you'd want to go for it. In Star Wars, they had only so many setpieces, so things kinda got a little jumbled squadron-wise. Blue Group helmets on pilots hopping into Gold Group-marked Y-Wings, since they only had the one three-dimensional ship built, etc. The shot of the Rebel ships fleeing the site before the Death Star goes up has a Y-Wing seen from straight-on and below. It seems to have yellow markings around the canopy, but it's not clear. In ROTJ, a Y-Wing takes out a TIE and Wedge calls out, "Good shot, Red Two!". Later, when Lando calls for all Red and Gold craft to head into the superstructure, we get a mixed bag of A-Wings, X-Wings, and one Y-Wing -- presumably Red 2. I find myself wondering if the single-type squadrons were never really a thing. Gold had more Y-Wings in ANH because they were older and Gold were the vets.

I had a thought that the yellow X-Wing I'm building might be a grounded Gold Group fighter being stripped for parts to keep the Red Group ships going... But also that maybe the "Red Jammer" Y-Wing could be the survivor at the end. I like the thought of them forming up with Wedge to protect him, and then Luke and Han meet up with them, too. Any other surviving Rebel ships would have already been headed outbound and were behind the camera. ;) The only Red Group ship that I never see anything of (prior to Rogue One) is Red 8, to complete the squadron. It may or may not be there. 1-6, 10, and 12 we see for sure, per dialogue and script, and are definitely X-Wings (even though we don't hear 12 call in). 7, 9, and 11 we hear over the radio, but never, as far as I know, see. And yes I'm ignoring ancillary material and Rogue One for this purpose. Seeing what can be gleaned from just the OT movies.

I kinda like the idea of it being Red 9, as they got the "It's a hit!" line in response to Red Leader's shot on target. That was late enough in the battle, I don't know how many might have been left besides Luke, Biggs, and Wedge. 4, 6, 10, and 12 were definitely gone by then, and 1 followed shortly. Of the ones we know were present at the beginning, and leaving out Luke's flight and Red 9's outburst, 7 and 11 are the only status-indeterminates by that point. I'm inclined to think they were gone, too, given the base told Red Leader to "keep half [his] group out of range" for the next run. Three from nine is not half. Three from seven is as close as we can get with odd numbers.

All that to long-windedly say, I'd love to see you do an interpretation of the Red Jammer as Red 9 for this squadron project, and don't fret the only-possibly-extant Red 8, unless you want to include the pilot from Rogue One. Also, this way you'll only have to come up with X-Wing markings and damage for 7, 11, and 12. :lol:

Hey, Analyzer... I just had a thought, and no idea whether you'd want to go for it. In Star Wars, they had only so many setpieces, so things kinda got a little jumbled squadron-wise. Blue Group helmets on pilots hopping into Gold Group-marked Y-Wings, since they only had the one three-dimensional ship built, etc. The shot of the Rebel ships fleeing the site before the Death Star goes up has a Y-Wing seen from straight-on and below. It seems to have yellow markings around the canopy, but it's not clear. In ROTJ, a Y-Wing takes out a TIE and Wedge calls out, "Good shot, Red Two!". Later, when Lando calls for all Red and Gold craft to head into the superstructure, we get a mixed bag of A-Wings, X-Wings, and one Y-Wing -- presumably Red 2. I find myself wondering if the single-type squadrons were never really a thing. Gold had more Y-Wings in ANH because they were older and Gold were the vets.

I had a thought that the yellow X-Wing I'm building might be a grounded Gold Group fighter being stripped for parts to keep the Red Group ships going... But also that maybe the "Red Jammer" Y-Wing could be the survivor at the end. I like the thought of them forming up with Wedge to protect him, and then Luke and Han meet up with them, too. Any other surviving Rebel ships would have already been headed outbound and were behind the camera. ;) The only Red Group ship that I never see anything of (prior to Rogue One) is Red 8, to complete the squadron. It may or may not be there. 1-6, 10, and 12 we see for sure, per dialogue and script, and are definitely X-Wings (even though we don't hear 12 call in). 7, 9, and 11 we hear over the radio, but never, as far as I know, see. And yes I'm ignoring ancillary material and Rogue One for this purpose. Seeing what can be gleaned from just the OT movies.

I kinda like the idea of it being Red 9, as they got the "It's a hit!" line in response to Red Leader's shot on target. That was late enough in the battle, I don't know how many might have been left besides Luke, Biggs, and Wedge. 4, 6, 10, and 12 were definitely gone by then, and 1 followed shortly. Of the ones we know were present at the beginning, and leaving out Luke's flight and Red 9's outburst, 7 and 11 are the only status-indeterminates by that point. I'm inclined to think they were gone, too, given the base told Red Leader to "keep half [his] group out of range" for the next run. Three from nine is not half. Three from seven is as close as we can get with odd numbers.

All that to long-windedly say, I'd love to see you do an interpretation of the Red Jammer as Red 9 for this squadron project, and don't fret the only-possibly-extant Red 8, unless you want to include the pilot from Rogue One. Also, this way you'll only have to come up with X-Wing markings and damage for 7, 11, and 12. :lol:

Interesting. Red Squadron certainly did not have to be all X-Wings and it is something to consider. I have wanted to paint Red Jammer

I had proposed using the Red 3 Pyro scheme for Red 9 simply because it would still have have 3 stripes of sorts below a row of 6

| | | | | |
| | |

Last edited:
Interesting. Red Squadron certainly did not have to be all X-Wings and it is something to consider. I have wanted to paint Red Jammer

I had proposed using the Red 3 Pyro scheme for Red 9 simply because it would still have have 3 stripes of sorts below a row of 6

| | | | | |
| | |
GOOOODDDD, you're making me think. It hurts. >_< You make a good point, and it also sparked something else. You know the staggered-box formation B-17s flew in WWII? What if, rather than flights of three, the squadron is broken into flights of four. A lead, two wingmen, and high cover? As attrition happens, the flights reform with whoever's left as there's a lull. Half Red Leader's ships if there were eight would be four. One making the run, two wingmen, and -- outside the trench -- one in high cover. They could only spot, not assist, because of the shielding -- why they had to ender the trench all the way at the far end from the port and not just fly straight at it from above.

So if Red Leader's flight by that point was 10, 12, and 9... and Luke's was 2, 3, and, say, 7... Do your pyro model as 9 -- taken out off-camera by one of Vader's wingmen when he tries to assist Red Leader after he leaves the trench pursued by Vader.

What do you think about Red Jammer as Red 7? Promoted to Red 2 after the battle, as Wedge was promoted to Red Leader and Luke became Group Commander. I forgot to mention above, Red 3 in ROTJ was an A-Wing. "Grizz Frix" is erroneously identified as Red 5 for that battle, but Luke is still Red 5 -- just not participating in the space-based portion of the fight. I'm probably going to do on paper what you thought up for your Red 9 -- making Grizz Red 11.

Thank you for pushing me to think more when I thought I was done. :)

GOOOODDDD, you're making me think. It hurts. >_< You make a good point, and it also sparked something else. You know the staggered-box formation B-17s flew in WWII? What if, rather than flights of three, the squadron is broken into flights of four. A lead, two wingmen, and high cover? As attrition happens, the flights reform with whoever's left as there's a lull. Half Red Leader's ships if there were eight would be four. One making the run, two wingmen, and -- outside the trench -- one in high cover. They could only spot, not assist, because of the shielding -- why they had to ender the trench all the way at the far end from the port and not just fly straight at it from above.

So if Red Leader's flight by that point was 10, 12, and 9... and Luke's was 2, 3, and, say, 7... Do your pyro model as 9 -- taken out off-camera by one of Vader's wingmen when he tries to assist Red Leader after he leaves the trench pursued by Vader.

What do you think about Red Jammer as Red 7? Promoted to Red 2 after the battle, as Wedge was promoted to Red Leader and Luke became Group Commander. I forgot to mention above, Red 3 in ROTJ was an A-Wing. "Grizz Frix" is erroneously identified as Red 5 for that battle, but Luke is still Red 5 -- just not participating in the space-based portion of the fight. I'm probably going to do on paper what you thought up for your Red 9 -- making Grizz Red 11.

Thank you for pushing me to think more when I thought I was done. :)
I like the idea of Red Jammer as Red 7

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back