Bandai 1/72 Red Squadron

Analyzer

Master Member
The goal is to have all of Red Squadron that they at least had filming models for.

Lots of documentations for some of them and precious little for others like Red 6, Red 10 and Red 12 so some of this is winging it as far as painting

I am also not going to get too involved in all the various nuances of the physical differences like panels lines and raised chip pieces etc... beyond some simple fixes of the more major differences like swapping engine cans from left to right on Red 3, the short engine nozzle, difference nose cones and the orientation of the tank hatch part on the backs.

Bandai had to forethought to at least make those three build options.

I've got them in three of them ready sub-assemblies to make it easier for painting. Started with a black or grey primer followed by AS-20 (although in hindsight I wish I had airbrushed it for better control)

Then roughly painted the various color markings which will get toned down during weathering and mist coating. Right now the saturation on them is kind of over done and I am hoping to fade them in more and shift some of them a bit with some grime as well

Swapping the engine cans for Red 3 was not a perfect fix, but at least most of the details look more correct. For example, the long strip is on the left can and the right can details looks more like the filming model's details

It also involved cutting off the snap supports and carefully making sure you use the right turbine parts for the right can (there actually is a difference in how they fit)

It was a difficult choice between going with the Red 3 Pyro paint scheme or the hero one but in the end I chose the hero one

IMG_4641 (2).JPG

Red 4's filming model has distinctly different engine can details, notable lacking the long raised strip among others. However, I just stuck with the stock Bandai kit
He will get an R4 unit that I have printed out since that is what is seen in the filming model

IMG_4639 (2).JPG

Red 6 there is a lot of liberty here in regards to markings as the few shots I have seen ever really show one side of it. Even then, they are low res grainy shots
Red 6 will get an R5 unit since that is what was shown in the live action shots behind Porkins

If anyone has any ref pics I'd love to see them

IMG_4640 (2).JPG

IMG_4634 (2).JPG

As for the pilots. I did my best getting the helmet details at least roughly representative, but it was so hard designs like that so tiny. I would love to know if anyone came across any decals sets for these

From top to bottom
Red 4 (John D)
Red 3 (Biggs)
Red 6 (Porkins)
IMG_3780 (2).JPG

IMG_3791 (3).JPG

Last edited:
I have two more kits in the stash for kits for Red 2 and either Red 10 or Red 12. I am thinking Red 12 first since there seems to be a but more reference material for it

I'd love to see what other are doing for X-Wings beyond Red 5

Nice work. Here's a few of the images I've collected or compiled over the years of Red 6.

Attachments

• Red 6 bluescreen 003.jpg
    Red 6 bluescreen 003.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 346
  • red 6 post detonation 2.JPG
    red 6 post detonation 2.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 339
  • Red 6 Collage.jpg
    Red 6 Collage.jpg
    979.2 KB · Views: 330
This may help:

thanks!

Although from what I understand, the Red 6 pyro shot never made it onto final film. I can't confirm that for sure myself, but I believe the story goes that it did not produce a good enough effect to use and they later used one of the those "stick" models for it

Nice work. Here's a few of the images I've collected or compiled over the years of Red 6.

Wow, I have seen versions of those pics, but yours seem to be much better resolution and cropped a bit different. I had never noticed the Red "Cylon Raider" symbol on the underside of the wing before. The more I see of this X-Wing I wonder if they ever finished painting the right (starboard) side. There are lots of markings on the left wings, but not so much on the right. This was a pyro after all and they were blowing it up so it not too far fetched they may have only fully painted to completion the side that would be seen on camera for the planned explosion leaving the other side with fewer details in areas not seen

In looking into Red 6, I did come across this very interesting article VFXarcheology: Part 6 — The Un-solved Star Wars Caper

very nice!

I have been using yours as ref as well

Last edited:
I've collected everything I can, reference-wise, over the years and I crop them myself sometimes to minimize extraneous details so that the ship itself shows up bigger on my screen. I also manipulate the photos and try to boost contrast/saturation, etc. to see if I can make out details not obvious. This works well for figuring out some of the colours. Red 6 is one of the most colourful X wings they made with lots of dark red and olive green panels on the main fuselage.

I don't have much on the upper SB side of the fuselage, nor the bottoms of the wings, but I expect they would've been pretty complete. Every other first gen pyro X wing was finished to a high standard on all sides.

Here are a few more shot you may not have - the first one shows a little more of the upper SB wing, including a dark red panel not visible in other shots.

Cheers,

K.

Attachments

• video cap 5c.jpg
    video cap 5c.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Red 6 Bluescreen 006.jpg
    Red 6 Bluescreen 006.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Red 6 bluescreen 009.JPG
    Red 6 bluescreen 009.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 253
  • red 6 bluescreen 010.JPG
    red 6 bluescreen 010.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 231
  • red 6 bluescreen 011.JPG
    red 6 bluescreen 011.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 234
  • red 6 bluescreen 012.JPG
    red 6 bluescreen 012.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 233
  • red 6 bluescreen 013.JPG
    red 6 bluescreen 013.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 263
I've collected everything I can, reference-wise, over the years and I crop them myself sometimes to minimize extraneous details so that the ship itself shows up bigger on my screen. I also manipulate the photos and try to boost contrast/saturation, etc. to see if I can make out details not obvious. This works well for figuring out some of the colours. Red 6 is one of the most colourful X wings they made with lots of dark red and olive green panels on the main fuselage.

I don't have much on the upper SB side of the fuselage, nor the bottoms of the wings, but I expect they would've been pretty complete. Every other first gen pyro X wing was finished to a high standard on all sides.

Here are a few more shot you may not have - the first one shows a little more of the upper SB wing, including a dark red panel not visible in other shots.

Cheers,

K.

Thanks!

That first one there has unlocked another mystery. I had not seen it before. I had some decent shots of the left wings, but not much for the right beyond showing the red gun. I have seen some people paint that odd shaped marking on the top of the right wing but I was not sure if that was canon or people were just copying others, but this confirms it is there

thanks!

Although from what I understand, the Red 6 pyro shot never made it onto final film. I can't confirm that for sure myself, but I believe the story goes that it did not produce a good enough effect to use and they later used one of the those "stick" models for it

Wow, I have seen versions of those pics, but yours seem to be much better resolution and cropped a bit different. I had never noticed the Red "Cylon Raider" symbol on the underside of the wing before. The more I see of this X-Wing I wonder if they ever finished painting the right (starboard) side. There are lots of markings on the left wings, but not so much on the right. This was a pyro after all and they were blowing it up so it not too far fetched they may have only fully painted to completion the side that would be seen on camera for the planned explosion leaving the other side with fewer details in areas not seen

In looking into Red 6, I did come across this very interesting article VFXarcheology: Part 6 — The Un-solved Star Wars Caper

I have been using yours as ref as well
If you need any more shots of mine, just let me know!

The goal is to have all of Red Squadron that they at least had filming models for.

That is a fine goal sir, and sounds like a ton of fun! Those are some sweet paint jobs so far. As usual, your attention to detail and accuracy is top-notch! Looking forward to seeing the entire set.

thanks!

Got a group shot

IMG_4718 (3).JPG

Still not 100% happy with the results, but at this scale it is hard to get the right look. I will probably revisit some areas on these

I think part of what bothers me is the roughness of the hull. Some of that in part is due to Bandai's use of multiple sections causing gaps and wide/exagerrated panels lines and raised details. It looks better from some angles but close up looks "lumpy". I really wish I had taken more time to sand some of it down and fill in the gaps better

IMG_4705 (2).JPG

IMG_4704 (2).JPG

IMG_4710 (2).JPG

IMG_4709 (2).JPG

IMG_4714 (2).JPG
IMG_4712 (2).JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back