Bandai 1:72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon

Analyzer,
Nice of you to provide such continued correspondence to weathering questions to JV1138. I am taking notes on the process for my Falcon, but will likely farm out that skill to an expert. Good work by the lad who seems to be listening carefully to experience clearly earned.

Analyzer,
Nice of you to provide such continued correspondence to weathering questions to JV1138. I am taking notes on the process for my Falcon, but will likely farm out that skill to an expert. Good work by the lad who seems to be listening carefully to experience clearly earned.
Agreed. Great job on this PG Bandai Falcon, JV1138 and thank you for posting your progress. We can all learn from your experience.

Thank you to Analyzer for all the helpful tips from which many of us can learn. I appreciate you sharing your expertise as always.

Ugh, I just ran into a MAJOR issue on my model while applying the dull coat. I tried sanding the surface, then added a dull coat, but the surface ended up looking COMPLETELY different from the rest of the model. How do I move forward from this? I could REALLY use some advice, because it seems like I have completely RUINED my model!

20220823_181229.jpg

Any advice? More sanding? Thinner? Any help would be appreciated.

A little better, but still rough around the edges. I decided to use thinner to remove the dull coat and applied a new coat on top.

20220824_183521.jpg

Attachments

• 20220824_173400.jpg
    20220824_173400.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
It looks like you did a nice repair job on it!

For future reference you can try masking off the entire panel shape before sanding. spraying, weathering so that what you do only effects that one panel

in that case if it winds up having a different texture/color it actually might look intentional similar to all the odd color grey/tan panels

It is something you often see in Star Wars models and even other sci fi stuff

After that little fiasco with the dull coat and the panels, I was able to get a head start on the weathering on a small section of the model. I might still continue to sand down any irregularities on the port side of the model. I actually used a black colored pencil for the streaks. Similar to pastels, the colored pencil starts out rough on the surface, and can be smoothened down with a brush or cotton swab. Not too shabby, however.

20220826_005131.jpg

More weathering. Here's how the model looks so far. The streaks look better in person, the photos don't do them justice.

20220828_175153.jpg

20220828_170525.jpg

Any comments or critiques on the weathering? Is there any way I can improve my technique? Let me know.

Last edited:
It can be tough to get good pics of a model as much of the subtle stuff gets lost

I don't mean any of this in a negative way so please don't read too much into it
For me personally, I think the best streaking area is that section near the radar dish. It seems blended in nicely and has a good variation in streak size/tone. The area near the engine behind it might be just a tad too dark. But then again, it may just be how it looks in the pictures

It can be tough to get good pics of a model as much of the subtle stuff gets lost

I don't mean any of this in a negative way so please don't read too much into it
For me personally, I think the best streaking area is that section near the radar dish. It seems blended in nicely and has a good variation in streak size/tone. The area near the engine behind it might be just a tad too dark. But then again, it may just be how it looks in the pictures
Yeah, the streaks in the rear area are MUCH more subtle and blended when you see it in person. I might tone them down a bit though.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend any reference photos of the 5 foot studio model? I'm having trouble finding any reference photos of the cockpit tube of the model. If anyone can post any GOOD links, that would be appreciated.

Can anyone recommend any reference photos of the 5 foot studio model? I'm having trouble finding any reference photos of the cockpit tube of the model. If anyone can post any GOOD links, that would be appreciated.

Here is a great site for general Falcon stuff

These pics are from one of those sites above as well as some other various sources that I have forgotten

P6130223_JPG.jpg

3cbbe840908583.57918119c5a15.jpg

01020443_JPG.jpg
615003_424500564268217_1575473247_o.jpg

12220266_JPG.jpg

12220267_JPG.jpg

_MG_4153 2.jpg
bk_Falconcockpit.jpg

Current progress on the weathering. I've added the blast marks all over the dorsal side, as well as painted the hull damage on the front and port side of the ship. I've also added some weathering on the front of the mandibles as well. What do you think?

20220909_001946.jpg

20220909_002031.jpg

The overall model so far.
20220909_003609.jpg

20220909_002558.jpg

Let me know if I should improve anything, or add something, etc.

I think you are on the right track and are getting some good effects

Are you doing all those marks with colored pencils?

If so, you might consider using some black and brown charcoal/pastels
While the pencils are certainly nice for the streaking, I find the pastels a bit easier to get sooty effects around the wells, or in recessed areas or just kind of adding an overall griminess to a large area

You just scrape them a bit to grind up some powder.
You can dust it on dry or add a little bit of water as well to help lay it down

I think you are on the right track and are getting some good effects

Are you doing all those marks with colored pencils?

If so, you might consider using some black and brown charcoal/pastels
While the pencils are certainly nice for the streaking, I find the pastels a bit easier to get sooty effects around the wells, or in recessed areas or just kind of adding an overall griminess to a large area

You just scrape them a bit to grind up some powder.
You can dust it on dry or add a little bit of water as well to help lay it down
I used a black colored pencil for the streaks and blast marks. And I used a black wash for the front of the mandibles and the hull damage. Which part of the Falcon would require pastels? I might consider using pastels, which might be similar to colored pencils anyway. I appreciate the advice though.

I used a black colored pencil for the streaks and blast marks. And I used a black wash for the front of the mandibles and the hull damage. Which part of the Falcon would require pastels? I might consider using pastels, which might be similar to colored pencils anyway. I appreciate the advice though.

Similar in some ways, but also different

I have not tried it with pencils, but with pastels you can wet them down to get in cracks and crevices, and the when dry, wipe what you do not want away from the raised areas. almost like a wash

I also find it easy to kind of "dust" areas with the powder to get them dirty looking like in these wells and along the saucer edge and in between panels etc...

IMG_7125 (3).png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back