Bandai 1-144 Millennium Falcon ANH version

You're better off thinking closer to white as a base to start from than grey. Not sure there really is a consensus from reading the many RPF threads on it. The weathering and aging will bring the white down quite a bit. I believe I've seen people around here guess it was Floquil Reefer White http://www.microscale.com/Floquil Color Chart.pdf - same as on X-wings, Star Destroyers etc. Essentially pure white with a small amount of warm grey mixed in to bring it down a touch, then a ton of weathering.
Personally I think Vallejo Insignia White is pretty damn close, if a little bit too warm, but only by a touch. I'm looking at building my third MF, not having done one since the 90s and got the bug again after seeing the 32incher at the Star Wars Identities. I was amazed to see no sign of washes used at all, a lot of cheeky masking to fake extra panelling, a lot of spattering and dry brushing mostly. The recesses in the panels were clean and bright, the exposed convex areas grubby - which is counter to most efforts I've seen online by other hobbiests here and on Youtube.

Yeah, i was going to start with a primer (couldbt decide in black or grey, but astroboy suggests black so Ill give it a go), then light grey coat, then painging the darker grey panels then the colored markings followed by rust and the dark grey scorching.

However , i was mainly curious about the color of the main light grey body.
Whats the consenus on this?
does the actual model have a sepia tint to the grey or is it just grey.

Some photos show it grey and other show a slight yellowing.
MG_3069-nickshearmanphotos.com_-1-1800x1045.jpgFB_IMG_1475575813456.jpg

Here is my finished product. The As-20 (or even flat white) won't look correct right off the bat. But when you apply controlled oils, rust, streaking, and spatter, you will get layers that add up to the warm grey that you like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
View attachment 708662View attachment 708663

Here is my finished product. The As-20 (or even flat white) won't look correct right off the bat. But when you apply controlled oils, rust, streaking, and spatter, you will get layers that add up to the warm grey that you like.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Damn, nice work!

One mire question about the shapeways dish.
I got the dish that cones with the turret.
From the pics i cant see a way to attach the dish to the turret. Is there something Im missing?

Its no biggie if theres no attachment.
i was thinking if using a micro drill to make holes in the turret arms and then run a styrene rod through the dish and arms so the dish could move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, nice work!

One mire question about the shapeways dish.
I got the dish that cones with the turret.
From the pics i cant see a way to attach the dish to the turret. Is there something Im missing?

Its no biggie if theres no attachment.
i was thinking if using a micro drill to make holes in the turret arms and then run a styrene rod through the dish and arms so the dish could move.

Thanks!

If I recall, I simply use CA to attach the dish to the bracket. I don't remember if there was any divots or not on the dish.

The great thing about 808 bits is that he upgrades if it needs. When I first got my dish kit I mentioned on the forum that I thought his base was a bit undersized. He contacted me, changed it, and sent me a new one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CA?

Superglue....contact adhesive

J

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

If I recall, I simply use CA to attach the dish to the bracket. I don't remember if there was any divots or not on the dish.

The great thing about 808 bits is that he upgrades if it needs. When I first got my dish kit I mentioned on the forum that I thought his base was a bit undersized. He contacted me, changed it, and sent me a new one.

Yes my turret was undersized,...but I fixed it with thin styrene

J

Superglue....contact adhesive

J

- - - Updated - - -

Yes my turret was undersized,...but I fixed it with thin styrene

J
What did you do with the base? I cut the old one out completely. But I sanded the shapeways one on a angle so it would straight up

What did you do with the base? I cut the old one out completely. But I sanded the shapeways one on a angle so it would straight up

I used a wheel from my spares box,....shaving down one side of the wheel to create a basin for the base to rest in

J

All the equipment is on the way.
Airbrush and compressor.
I decided to go with the Vellejo black primer and Vallejo air grey/white for the base.
I figure I could add a drop of tan but ill tests it out first.

Got the falcon today, and did some of the gashed and blast marks with the dremmel.

One more question- i was planning on doing the oil drips and streaks with the airbrush but after seeing how fine i would have to focus the airbrush stream i dont think ill be able to get lines that thin.

What do you guys suggest?
Dry brush Pastels, or acrylic watered down brushing?

Thanks guys!

Im debating whether to modify the falcon abd remove the landing gear boxes on the underside.
Nore accurate to the five footer but i dont think in there yet in terms of skills.
Looks like i would need some kind of convex plastruct styrene.

I want to add one thing I did that I believe helped my model. Because it's tiny compared to the studio model, I went a shade lighter on the panels.

I also only did about half of the streaking. I didn't want it to feel too heavy handed

Sad fools. I guess Photobucket turned out to have an unsustainable financial model. They've been making their pages more and more ad laden and thus horribly unpleasant to view. And then this ill-advised move to charge without warning and by blocking the images first, which comes across to users as blackmail and ransom, and will simply result in a user exodus!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back