Backer rod and latex issues

metalalchemist

Hi again... I beg for patience to all members as I am really new at this (would have introduced myself earlier but intro. link seems to be not working).
Anyway, I am building my dreads from backer rod and covering them with latex. Now, I know latex sticks to itself even when cured and I have read that some people powder it with talc or corn starch. I tried this, but it turns the dread totally white-ish; if I wash it, it goes black again, but sticky too.
Any suggestions of a common product I could use to solve the issue?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi again... I beg for patience to all members as I am really new at this (would have introduced myself earlier but intro. link seems to be not working).
Anyway, I am building my dreads from backer rod and covering them with latex. Now, I know latex sticks to itself even when cured and I have read that some people powder it with talc or corn starch. I tried this, but it turns the dread totally white-ish; if I wash it, it goes black again, but sticky too.
Any suggestions of a common product I could use to solve the issue?
Thanks for your help in advance.

can't u use some sort of spray? i think its worth a try.
im not sure what its called, but its a finishing spray you put on paintings, drawings etc.
i have even used hairspray to set things i've painted, and it worked.

anyway, good luck on that!

I painted my backer rod dreads in black acrylic paint and then sprayed them in hair spray. It was great - for about 10 mins when they started to rub on the canon, backpack or together then the paint scratched and scuffed off. Not good.

Still looking for another alternative.

most hobby shops like michaels sell a type of sealant that looks like thick milk but it dries clear , u can get matte or glossy, i even used when i custom made arock background for my fish tank ... this is spray but they also have brushable one,,,,,

PD_1469_2.jpg

Cool will look into that - cheers

Quick question - where can i get a personalized sig? looked everywhere can't remember where to go

Cool will look into that - cheers

Quick question - where can i get a personalized sig? looked everywhere can't remember where to go
actually there was a member here who made sigs for a lot of guys including me, dont remember who he was ,hopefully someone does remember..did you try search?>?

Thanks for the replies guys, will look into that and see how it goes.
BTW, yesterday I tried using talc but with a brush and small quantities. I does not look as gray as previous intents and kind of looks a bit weathered.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back