Back to the Future Hoverboard

MitasTouch

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I watched that episode of indymogul where they make a hoverboard and thought "I could do way better than that" And I did. Here it is. The whole board cost less than $50.

DSC00045.jpg

I got two big sheets of foam board and cut out 4 boards to glue together. The board measure 28x8. And the board is about an inch thick.

DSC00046.jpg

This are templates for the bottom that I printed out from the pepakura hoverboard.

DSC00051.jpg

I got the graphics printed at a Kinkos.

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

The bottom details are made from cardboard. I used the templates I mentioned earlier.

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

The pink that I sprayed before was too dark, so I got some acrylic paint and went around the trim.

DSC00111.jpg

I even got some reflective tape to go around the outside of the board.

I still need to make the footpad and a few details on the bottom, but I can still say that this is better than indymogul's. And I used fabric from a Michaels craft store to do the velcro parts. I couldn't find any velcro of the color I needed.

awesome work, heres my work progress from the uk:

im currently doing the same, but mine im making from 10mm foamex - to keep the weight down, i also used the pep files, made some foamex templates and i have built the relevent bottom board parts - i intend to cast those parts as i need to make enough for the 5 boards im doing

my foamex boards jigsawed:
IMAG0799.jpg

here are my 5 boards in the 10mm with the painted edges and decals applied:
IMGP0085.jpg

IMGP0091.jpg

IMGP0092.jpg

and the foamex sections i used from the pep files
IMAG0839.jpg

after milliput and primer i have these:
IMAG0885.jpg

IMAG0889.jpg

im blessed where i work as i have full access to a digital solvent printer thats over a metre wide. and as there printed onto 7 year life vinyl with an overlaminate the results are perfect. its just a big one peice sticker that is produced

im currently doing the same, but mine im making from 10mm foamex - to keep the weight down, i also used the pep files, made some foamex templates and i have built the relevent bottom board parts - i intend to cast those parts as i need to make enough for the 5 boards im doing

Could you make a new thread about your boards? I'd like to see your further work on them.

my foamex boards jigsawed:
IMAG0799.jpg

here are my 5 boards in the 10mm with the painted edges and decals applied:
IMGP0085.jpg

IMGP0091.jpg

IMGP0092.jpg

and the foamex sections i used from the pep files
IMAG0839.jpg

after milliput and primer i have these:
IMAG0885.jpg

IMAG0889.jpg

Very good job :thumbsup! where did get all the decals from?

I made a board and hated how it looked, was too thick, the strap sucked and the colors were off

Ripped it up and started fresh, just finished the new one

371869766937282.jpg

371869885710736.jpg

It's got all the Velcro bits like it should, a decent strap and the size is pretty good, still not totally content with the boards color so will probably make a 3rd board and try to perfect on it....... Still needs lenticular side tape and the magnets on the bottom

I had to make it cos the seller of bttf123 Hoverboards on eBay refuses to ship me a board to Australia lol

Plus I'm obviously preparing for when I get my jacket :)

That's really good. It amazes me that people can make more accurate boards in their homes with only pictures and dimensions than mattel can with the actual boards given to them. And I think the back of your board is a little too round. Also is that real lenticular? If it is where did you get it?

Yeah the curved back is another thing I'm unhappy with lol

It's not lenticular at all, just Roland's designs printed onto premium photo paper

I'm really struggling to find the correct pink for the board

Yeah the curved back is another thing I'm unhappy with lol

It's not lenticular at all, just Roland's designs printed onto premium photo paper

I'm really struggling to find the correct pink for the board

For mine I just went to my local craft store and bought some hot pink paint.You can usually get little tubes for really cheap.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back