Back to the Future Guitars

I haven't really had time to work on it, but here it is as of now. The pickguard is just set in place and not screwed down. I need to find someone with a drill to make holes for the stoptail studs.
10983866_10204394117041059_3285316342449091565_n.jpg

Last edited:
Also I noticed that your pickguard has a screw securing the bracket when there shouldn't be. And the input jack should be gold. That could be another thing to bring up to your seller. And if hes is redoing the whole body he could put the volume and tuning knobs in the right places. These replicas always seem to have them placed wrong.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/11/13/article-2060918-0EC77E3200000578-898_634x526.jpg

Cheers, I'll be sure to mention it to him. Your guitar is looking good by the way.

Edit: OK I sent this to the guy, hopefully he can replicate the exact placement.

knob placement.jpg

Last edited:
These Gibson replicas look awesome guys! Love all the research.

How do they play though?

Booshman doesn't currently have his as it is still being worked on. As for mine, it could sound better, but it's decent. A little too much fret buzz though. If I ever sell this guitar and start a new one I will definitely get the volume and tone knobs put in the right place and have the cream binding show more when you look at the guitar straight on.

Last edited:
These Gibson replicas look awesome guys! Love all the research.

How do they play though?

I have a Les Paul copy from the same guy, that plays well. I need to get it serviced as over the last year or so the frets have become a bit tarnished and it could do with an all around once over. I adjusted the truss rod a bit after I got it, wax potted the pickups, and changed the nut, wiring and pots, I'm quite happy with it as it is. I think if the pickups were changed and I got proper luthier to give it a going over, it would be a great guitar. I plan to get them both sorted out by a professional once I have the new one in hand.

Hi guys, stumbled on this thread and forum when looking for Marty's guitar. Thanks for all the great info. Am in contact with the seller. Are there anything else I need to ask for to make sure the guitar is as screen accurate as possible?
Reading the post I've asked for:
Gold pikcups instead of silver
No 1st fret inlay
Are the buttons in the wrong place?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi guys, stumbled on this thread and forum when looking for Marty's guitar. Thanks for all the great info. Am in contact with the seller. Are there anything else I need to ask for to make sure the guitar is as screen accurate as possible?
Reading the post I've asked for:
Gold pikcups instead of silver
No 1st fret inlay
Are the buttons in the wrong place?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes they are in the wrong places. Just look at pictures from the movie and compare them to the seller's guitar. Send pictures. They speak better than words in some cases because of the language barrier.

Yes they are in the wrong places. Just look at pictures from the movie and compare them to the seller's guitar. Send pictures. They speak better than words in some cases because of the language barrier.
Thanks Mitastouch, I think I see what you mean about the positioning, it should be lower as in previous posts.
knob placement.jpg
Do you know if the volume and tone controls are in the correct place, from the pictures of Marty's guitar I can see placement, but I can't quite make out whether the volume and tone controls are correct?
(Just also noticed the 12th fret inlay should also be fully solid and not broken like the others)

Thanks Mitastouch, I think I see what you mean about the positioning, it should be lower as in previous posts.
View attachment 470353
Do you know if the volume and tone controls are in the correct place, from the pictures of Marty's guitar I can see placement, but I can't quite make out whether the volume and tone controls are correct?
(Just also noticed the 12th fret inlay should also be fully solid and not broken like the others)

You can see from how they line up in the pic, that the furthest two to the left aren't that far off, neither is the varitone switch. The two on the right, as well as the input jack and scratch plate mount are a way off.

If you can hold out until I get an update from my seller, we can see how their second attempt comes out. If they get it as accurate as I hope they will, I can put you in contact with them. Gonna be easier to ask them to make another one, than to take a chance on a different vendor getting it right first try. I've talked at length with this guy and I think he is pretty clear about what I want now.

You can see from how they line up in the pic, that the furthest two to the left aren't that far off, neither is the varitone switch. The two on the right, as well as the input jack and scratch plate mount are a way off.

If you can hold out until I get an update from my seller, we can see how their second attempt comes out. If they get it as accurate as I hope they will, I can put you in contact with them. Gonna be easier to ask them to make another one, than to take a chance on a different vendor getting it right first try. I've talked at length with this guy and I think he is pretty clear about what I want now.
Thanks Booshman, that sounds a great idea. Please let me know how it turns out. Was planning to pull the trigger tonight and take a risk with my vendor as he said he would send pictures of the guitar before he shipped - but by then it may be too late to change things. I will wait for your results first and order the same if it all works out for you. Feel free to PM me if it easier. Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi booshman,

I'm very interested in that vendor's guitar, too:)
However, as I'm from Germany the customs could retain the knock-off in case they spot the Gibson logo, so I've to ask the seller whether he could leave it out and send it descretely to me .
Could you put me in contact with him if his second attemp is a nice outcome?
Best regards,
Chris

Hi booshman,

I'm very interested in that vendor's guitar, too:)
However, as I'm from Germany the customs could retain the knock-off in case they spot the Gibson logo, so I've to ask the seller whether he could leave it out and send it descretely to me .
Could you put me in contact with him if his second attemp is a nice outcome?
Best regards,
Chris

No worries, I'll post pics of mine when it's done, and if you are still interested I can put you in touch with the vendor.

Finally got my update tonight. The placement of the knobs is still off. I've been asured that the binding is cream and not white as it appears in th pics. The tuners are placeholder and will be switched before it is sent out. Looks better with the B7 this time, and the paint job is better too.

oUJrwD2.jpg

6yQ0sXu.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back