Back to the Future Guitars

Would anyone know where I can find a 5 ply 60 degree bevel pickguard that has the gap above the bottom pickguard?
SnapzProXScreenSnapz021.jpg

http://www.allparts.com/PG-0818-037-Black-Short-Pickguard-for-Gibson-ES-335_p_2724.html

Not sure if it will have the gap between it and the bridge pickup, but you could always just cut it.

I've actually talked to an ebay user that will custom make me a pickguard that will have the gap. I will have to send him all the measurements I can get from my stock pickguard so he can make cuts to fit my guitar because its just a cheap replica and it has dimensional inaccuracies from a real 345. I've only seen this gap on one pickguard on one picture other than the movie guitar. Making me assume that this pickguard was rarely used. Maybe the movie guitar used a pickguard that wasn't even meant for the guitar. Because all other pictures of the guitar show that the pickguard fits perfectly over the pickups.

Also through more research I now think that the switch tip wasn't cream colored. I think it was amber. A lot of Gibson 345s around that time had amber switches. At first I thought it was cream and that it just got discolored over the years. But pictures of amber colored tips look exactly like the movie switch. I also found this quote from a site with info on vintage Gibsons.
"Switch Tips: on guitars with two pickups and a 3-way selector switch, Gibson used an amber-colored bakelite switch tip during the 1950's."
http://www.atomeveeclipse.com/data/vintgibson.html

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, I have a thread with all the information you need to get a decent replica BTTF Gibson 345.

You're probably wanting something more like this...

chords.jpg

The angled style in the above post didn't start getting made until the late 70's. In the 50's, about 75% of all name brand electric guitars such as Gibson and Fender shipped with their own cables.

The angled style in the above post didn't start getting made until the late 70's. In the 50's, about 75% of all name brand electric guitars such as Gibson and Fender shipped with their own cables.

Well, the ES-345 used in the film wasen't actually made yet during the period the movie is set, so I wouldn't use dates as hard evidence.

They could have used a modern cable and I would go with what was seen on screen. From the pictures the connector looks metal.

My guitar as of now. I have the amber switch tip and stoptail bolts on order. I will take the guitar to a guitar shop to have the bolts intalled. Also to repair some wires, as the solder job was not very good.
10849076_10204066468570052_4192611211683931603_o.jpg

I'm a little unsure if the screen used knobs were actually gold or if the lighting just made them look that way. They could have been silver but no normal light pictures of the screen used guitar exist.

Got a guitar in the works right no. Gonna be donew ithin a month. Hopefully it's gonna be as accurate as I can get it out of the box, I gave a pretty extensive list to the maker, using info from this thread and checking ther bluray.

I think the cream binding is in the same style as this Memphis:

Ntk4eGu.jpg

The black detail is hard to see in pics online but you can make it out on the bluray. Unfortuntely I can't capture a shot due to the copy protection, but it's there.

I also noticed the neck is darker than the body. I took a quick phone pic of the TV Check this out:

zzIpl8B.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the included Bigsby is fake. The Bigsby letters on it were just a cheap gold sticker and they're peeling off.

I'm pretty sure the included Bigsby is fake. The Bigsby letters on it were just a cheap gold sticker and they're peeling off.

Are you updating your other thread and this one with the same info? It seems like every time both get bumped and I open them to read, it is the same post in them.
Why not just have the mods merge them into this thread as there is no new info in the other one. Makes no sense to keep track of info in both.

Are you updating your other thread and this one with the same info? It seems like every time both get bumped and I open them to read, it is the same post in them.
Why not just have the mods merge them into this thread as there is no new info in the other one. Makes no sense to keep track of info in both.

I would like to keep my thread separate as it only focuses on one guitar. This one is for all of them. I will keep to my thread from now on.

Last edited:
I would like to keep my thread separate as it only focuses on one guitar. This one is for all of them.

I get that, but your posts here have turned the last three pages of this thread into a duplicate of your other thread. So now this one seems to have just become your build thread about that same guitar.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back