Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

I don’t think the Mexican jackets were made in adult sizes. The one on eBay is listed as a size large but the length is only 23.5 inches. A typical size small jacket is around 25. So this would be like an XS for adults.

I don’t think the Mexican jackets were made in adult sizes. The one on eBay is listed as a size large but the length is only 23.5 inches. A typical size small jacket is around 25. So this would be like an XS for adults.
Yeah you are probably right there. Guess doesn't usually use S M and L sizing for their youth jackets but I guess they did in this case.

Yeah you are probably right there. Guess doesn't usually use S M and L sizing for their youth jackets but I guess they did in this case.
So I took my 2018 Headgoonie jacket out to check the length measurement and it’s actually shorter than the Mexican jacket by an inch. My HG jacket is listed as a size small, but they made it too small so I’d call it a US XS. So the Mexican jacket should fit like a small. I have the Mexican jacket arriving on Friday so I’ll definitely be putting it on to test the fit.

So I took my 2018 Headgoonie jacket out to check the length measurement and it’s actually shorter than the Mexican jacket by an inch. My HG jacket is listed as a size small, but they made it too small so I’d call it a US XS. So the Mexican jacket should fit like a small. I have the Mexican jacket arriving on Friday so I’ll definitely be putting it on to test the fit.
You ended up buying the jacket? It's ok if you don't want to share but how much did you end up paying for it?

You ended up buying the jacket? It's ok if you don't want to share but how much did you end up paying for it?
Yeah. I put in some best offers when he relisted it. I paid less than half of the original $5k starting bid. I started a thread about it. I’ll be inspecting it thoroughly when it arrives this Friday.

Did anyone else catch the eBay posting of the Guess jacket over the weekend? He was asking $5,000 for it & apparently someone must have made him an offer close to that as I was offering him up to $2,500 which he declined. He originally had it on a 3-day listing for 5K which didn't sell, then he immediately reposted it with a best offer option & the following day someone purchased it. Btw, if anyone else has one for sale reach out to me, I know it's a long shot but have to throw that out there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231005-023403~2.png
    Screenshot_20231005-023403~2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20231005-023406~2.png
    Screenshot_20231005-023406~2.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20231005-023418~2.png
    Screenshot_20231005-023418~2.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 57
Did anyone else catch the eBay posting of the Guess jacket over the weekend? He was asking $5,000 for it & apparently someone must have made him an offer close to that as I was offering him up to $2,500 which he declined. He originally had it on a 3-day listing for 5K which didn't sell, then he immediately reposted it with a best offer option & the following day someone purchased it. Btw, if anyone else has one for sale reach out to me, I know it's a long shot but have to throw that out there.
Yep, read all the posts above as of recently. I made a lot of research into these Mexican guess jackets (as opposed to the original 1984 jackets) on this and other threads related to this listing. You can have a look at my post history.

The post just above yours is by MitasTouch who bought the jacket. He has made a new thread about it.

I did actually want to ask if this later Mexican made jacket is the same one you had as a kid? Everything seems to all line up, and I'm pretty sure this is a real guess product now. Do you remember your tag saying made in Mexico?

Last edited:
Yep, read all the posts above as of recently. I made a lot of research into these Mexican guess jackets (as opposed to the original 1984 jackets) on this and other threads related to this listing. You can have a look at my post history.

The post just above yours is by MitasTouch who bought the jacket. He has made a new thread about it.

I did actually want to ask if this later Mexican made jacket is the same one you had as a kid? Everything seems to all line up, and I'm pretty sure this is a real guess product now. Do you remember your tag saying made in Mexico?I

I did actually want to ask if this later Mexican made jacket is the same one you had as a kid? Everything seems to all line up, and I'm pretty sure this is a real guess product now. Do you remember your tag saying made in Mexico?
Yeah I actually wanted to do an update on my original Guess jacket....I recently attended a family reunion & my aunt who purchased the jacket for me told me she remembered actually getting it at a Guess Outlet ( her words, not mine ) either in or very close to Tijuana in early 1986. Not sure what a Guess Outlet is doing in Mexico but this is exactly what she told me. She said my parents were tired of driving me around to different department stores trying to find the Back to the Future Guess jacket, which I remember being unsuccessful looking for as early as fall 1985 just a few months after watching the movie at the theater. I do remember my parents driving me around to different Macy's, Emporium-Capwell's ( now defunct ), Bloomingdales, etc in San Francisco & the Peninsula trying to find the jacket to no avail. During that time the only Guess jackets these mainstream stores were carrying were the same ones you typically find on eBay today with the rounded collar which I ended up purchasing in early 86 as it was the closest I could find to the movie jacket, at least until my aunt came to visit us from Southern California & said there's a Guess outlet not far from where she lives in Orange County that has a rack full of them. I almost didn't believe her until she described it being the reverse colors of the blue & gray denim guess jacket my dad had just bought me from Macy's but no pattern on the back & square pockets in the front. My dad having just bought me the blue & gray Guess jacket didn't want to buy me another, so she offered to buy it for me as an early birthday present. Less than 2 weeks later it arrived in the mail, the photo I uploaded from 1986 was likely the same day or week I received it. I can't remember if it said Mexico on the tag unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yeah I actually wanted to do an update on my original Guess jacket....I recently attended a family reunion & my aunt who purchased the jacket for me told me she remembered actually getting it at a Guess Outlet ( her words, not mine ) either in or very close to Tijuana in early 1986. Not sure what a Guess Outlet is doing in Mexico but this is exactly what she told me. She said my parents were tired of driving me around to different department stores trying to find the Back to the Future Guess jacket, which I remember being unsuccessful looking for as early as fall 1985 just a few months after watching the movie at the theater. I do remember my parents driving me around to different Macy's, Emporium-Capwell's ( now defunct ), Bloomingdales, etc in San Francisco & the Peninsula trying to find the jacket to no avail. During that time the only Guess jackets these mainstream stores were carrying were the same ones you typically find on eBay today with the rounded collar which I ended up purchasing in early 86 as it was the closest I could find to the movie jacket, at least until my aunt came to visit us from Southern California & said there's a Guess outlet not far from where she lives in Orange County that has a rack full of them. I almost didn't believe her until she described it being the reverse colors of the blue & gray denim guess jacket my dad had just bought me from Macy's but no pattern on the back & square pockets in the front. My dad having just bought me the blue & gray Guess jacket didn't want to buy me another, so she offered to buy it for me as an early birthday present. Less than 2 weeks later it arrived in the mail, the photo I uploaded from 1986 was likely the same day or week I received it.

I recently texted my mom the 1986 photo of me wearing the jacket that she actually took and asked if she knows anything at all where my jacket is. She thinks it could possibly be at my brother's house whom I have not spoken to in over 10 years. Just a personal family falling out. Though he would commonly come in my room around that time and take things while I was out, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's in possession of it or possibly sold it without telling me.
Thanks a lot for the update, that definitely confirms my suspicion that these later jackets were real Guess jackets sold exclusively in Mexican Guess outlets. I originally thought Guess didn't have any facilities there until the early 90s, but I guess that is not the case.

I think these Mexican jackets may have even been made due to the success of Back To The Future, which makes sense if they were sold early 1986. By the time of the movies release in 1985 the original 1984 jackets were probably no longer being sold (but they were also most likely only ever sold in California).

Thanks a lot for the update, that definitely confirms my suspicion that these later jackets were real Guess jackets sold exclusively in Mexican Guess outlets. I originally thought Guess didn't have any facilities there until the early 90s, but I guess that is not the case.

I think these Mexican jackets may have even been made due to the success of Back To The Future, which makes sense if they were sold early 1986. By the time of the movies release in 1985 the original 1984 jackets were probably no longer being sold (but they were also most likely only ever sold in California).
Yeah it seems they possibly did a 2nd run of the jacket using the same blueprints from the 1984 jacket only updating with the newer Guess logo buttons as all of the latter Guess jackets around late 85/86 all had the same style buttons. I did ask her if it was a knock-off store and she said it was definitely a Guess outlet from what she remembered.

Yeah it seems they possibly did a 2nd run of the jacket using the same blueprints from the 1984 jacket only updating with the newer Guess logo buttons as all of the latter Guess jackets around late 85/86 all had the same style buttons. I did ask her if it was a knock-off store and she said it was definitely a Guess outlet from what she remembered.
A few days ago I made a post showing every variation of the jacket I currently know of, including the Mexican jacket.

Just got an older Head Goonie jacket off eBay that arrived today. I was looking for one like this for a while. A few things are off ( non indented buttons, weak/oversized collar, faded blue denim vs grey, etc ) which everyone here already knows about with these older HG jackets, material is not as sturdy as the actual 1984 Guess jackets ( I have one of the original style 1984 Guess Vests, I'll attach pics below, that feels way more durable even being near 40yrs old ) but this HG replica is close enough. Outside of that it fits perfectly, a lot better than the Max Caddy & overall happy with it.

Attachments

• DSC_9741~3.JPG
    DSC_9741~3.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 62
  • DSC_9740~3.JPG
    DSC_9740~3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • DSC_9738~3.JPG
    DSC_9738~3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
  • 20231023_145401.JPG
    20231023_145401.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 20231023_145424~2.JPG
    20231023_145424~2.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 20231023_145343~2.JPG
    20231023_145343~2.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
Got to compare my jacket to a vest today.

Attachments

• 7CD4C3E1-BE01-4C00-8752-665FC3701922.jpeg
    7CD4C3E1-BE01-4C00-8752-665FC3701922.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 68
  • ED59EDB7-A0B0-468D-880D-14BC94DA1CFD.jpeg
    ED59EDB7-A0B0-468D-880D-14BC94DA1CFD.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 65
Here is the vest up close. Which in turn would be the same dye the jackets used. It definitely has some purple in it.

Attachments

• 964BA0B0-F137-4E5F-B718-E64E4BDE3A96.jpeg
    964BA0B0-F137-4E5F-B718-E64E4BDE3A96.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 47
Hi guys,
I want to show you my Marty's denim jacket replica.
I found it brand new on Grailed and I bought it.
Maybe it's not accurate as Headgoonie jacket (the front pockets seems a little bit larger and the color of denim is too dark), but the quality is great.
It has come with a pin too.
Made in Japan by orSlow × BEAMS

Attachments

• IMG_20240126_171024_527.jpg
    IMG_20240126_171024_527.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20240126_171039_858.jpg
    IMG_20240126_171039_858.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20240126_170730_722[1].jpg
    IMG_20240126_170730_722[1].jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 57
  • 420450022_1707446906413122_1499216422626591490_n.jpg
    420450022_1707446906413122_1499216422626591490_n.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 58

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back