Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

IMG_8215.jpeg

Is that for real?

This is much later made Mexican jacket with adult sizing, different guess logo, and slightly different denim look and colour. More can be found about this specific jacket here:

But basically, it's assumed to be a possible knock off because Guess didn’t have sewing facilities there until 1996-1997 and Georges left guess in 1993, 3 years before they had operations in Mexico.

Th
This is much later made Mexican jacket with adult sizing, different guess logo, and slightly different denim look and colour. More can be found about this specific jacket here:

But basically, it's assumed to be a possible knock off because Guess didn’t have sewing facilities there until 1996-1997 and Georges left guess in 1993, 3 years before they had operations in Mexico.
the Mexican jackets also looks to have slightly different shaped pockets ? Possibly

Th

the Mexican jackets also looks to have slightly different shaped pockets ? Possibly
Lack of waist band sectioning, different sized pockets, different buttons, there is a lot of differences. Still unsure if it's a legitimate guess product despite all the branding.

I doubt it will sell for $5,000usd, unless someone actually believes it's a 1984 jacket. Even then thats steep.

Last edited:
Lack of waist band sectioning, different sized pockets, different buttons, there is a lot of differences. Still unsure if it's a legitimate guess product despite all the branding.

I doubt it will sell for $5,000usd, unless someone actually believes it's a 1984 jacket. Even then thats steep.
Yeah honestly you could get a replica made for 5000 that you could get almost 100% accurate so buying that one for 5000 would be nuts. Still it’s a cool piece of clothing but not worth anywhere near that price. I would have thought 1000 would be the max one could reasonably expect to get for a jacket such as that even that might be a bit steep. If it was a genuine 80s guess jacket with the triangle logo I think that would be a different story though.

Yeah honestly you could get a replica made for 5000 that you could get almost 100% accurate so buying that one for 5000 would be nuts. Still it’s a cool piece of clothing but not worth anywhere near that price. I would have thought 1000 would be the max one could reasonably expect to get for a jacket such as that even that might be a bit steep. If it was a genuine 80s guess jacket with the triangle logo I think that would be a different story though.
1696569036105.png

I'm thinking maybe manufacturing of these Guess products in Mexico started either before 1996, or the Marciano name was kept a little longer over there. I have found examples of other Georges Marciano products with the Mexican tag.
1696568830738.png
1696568841659.png

They also have the same buttons as the Mexican 'Marty' jacket.
1696568864236.png
1696568870950.png

So currently I'm thinking it is a real Guess product, but I'm still uncertain of the year, but definitely sometime in the 90s.

So still very far off from the original 1984 jacket, and still not worth ANYWHERE near $5,000.

Last edited:
View attachment 1748159
I'm thinking maybe manufacturing of these Guess products in Mexico started either before 1996, or the Marciano name was kept a little longer over there. I have found examples of other Georges Marciano products with the Mexican tag.
View attachment 1748155View attachment 1748156
They also have the same buttons as the Mexican 'Marty' jacket.
View attachment 1748157View attachment 1748158
So currently I'm thinking it is a real Guess product, but I'm still uncertain of the year, but definitely sometime in the 90s.

So still very far off from the original 1984 jacket, and still not worth $5,000.
Did Marty’s jacket have the guess logo buttons in the movie tho ?

with the price of this Mexican jacket what do original 80s ones usually go for / have gone for ?
I sometimes see the Marciano jackets in the wrong colour like this one go for around $300-450usd, usually on a bid. They come up very rarely though and they go quick.
1696579617860.png

There was a 1984 Guess Marciano vest with the exact colours and details that sold for $450usd. It was bought by London Moore. (He gave me permission to share more photos of the vest). Everything (apart from the lack of sleeves) lines up with Marty's jacket. The two sectioned waistband, button dent, and guess triangle.
1696579758155.png
1696580063486.png
1696580973982.png
1696581031580.png
1696581164661.png

The seller who sold this vest is also apparently the person selling the Mexican made jacket, although I guarantee the $5,000 price wont stick around.
s-l1600 (15).jpg

I only think one 1984 accurate jacket has come up for sale, and it was bought by Lyon Estates a few years back. Not sure for how much, but most
likely a lot more than the incorrect coloured jackets and vests. Although this jacket is still not 100% accurate because of the extra waistband section, and GUESS wording liner (Original jackets had a motorbike image as the liner, see above).
1517460_10153362953164676_6603656043314690539_n.jpg
10420249_10153366356069676_1177122316888372749_n.jpg
My marty jacket watermarked.jpg

Last edited:
I sometimes see the Marciano jackets in the wrong colour like this one go for around $300-450usd, usually on a bid. They come up very rarely though and they go quick.
View attachment 1748181
There was a 1984 Guess Marciano vest with the exact colours and details that sold for $450usd. It was bought by London Moore. (He gave me permission to share more photos of the vest). Everything (apart from the lack of sleeves) lines up with Marty's jacket. The two sectioned waistband, button dent, and guess triangle.
View attachment 1748183View attachment 1748184View attachment 1748190View attachment 1748191View attachment 1748192
The seller who sold this vest is also apparently the person selling the Mexican made jacket, although I guarantee the $5,000 price wont stick around.
View attachment 1748189
I only think one 1984 accurate jacket has come up for sale, and it was bought by Lyon Estates a few years back. Not sure for how much, but most
likely a lot more than the incorrect coloured jackets and vests. Although this jacket is still not 100% accurate because of the extra waistband section, and GUESS wording liner (Original jackets had a motorbike image as the liner, see above).
View attachment 1748187View attachment 1748193View attachment 1748194
wow , when was the last time you saw a incorrect coloured Maricano jacket come up for sale ? , if you see another up for sale ( or a vest ) and aren't interested please let me know.

Also its crazy how they chose so many weird parts for his costume and his props , the jacket been the most confusing one. the skateboard is also just a weird one ( it been a Madrid deck with Valterra graphics) the jeans have the belt loops in odd spots compared to other guess jeans. the glasses are also really weird too

wow , when was the last time you saw a incorrect coloured Maricano jacket come up for sale ? , if you see another up for sale ( or a vest ) and aren't interested please let me know.

Also its crazy how they chose so many weird parts for his costume and his props , the jacket been the most confusing one. the skateboard is also just a weird one ( it been a Madrid deck with Valterra graphics) the jeans have the belt loops in odd spots compared to other guess jeans. the glasses are also really weird too
Eric Stoltz's costume was done more carefully, with a custom made jacket and shirt. When he was fired to be replaced by Michael J. Fox they had a short amount of time to source a new outfit.

Everything was bought locally in California and they probably just tried stuff on to see what would fit. As for the Nike's they were Michael's normal skating shoes that he wore on set and ended up being used for the movie. They also recast Jennifer when Michael became Marty so I'm pretty sure a lot of her outfit is also Guess.

Crazy how stuff that was easily found back then is impossible to find now. Regardless, Marty's outfit is amazing and is what made me interested in the first place. Blue jeans and white Nikes with a red swoosh has become part of my everyday outfit, and that Guess denim jacket is something I and many others can only dream of owning. Truth is I'm not really into 'cosplaying' Marty, I just like what he wears and want it myself, especially since I mainly dress 80s inspired.

Regardless, I still think I can pull it off. Me with an original Guess jacket.
memarty.png

Last edited:
Eric Stoltz's costume was done more carefully, with a custom made jacket and shirt. When he was fired to be replaced by Michael J. Fox they had a short amount of time to source a new outfit.

Everything was bought locally in California and they probably just tried stuff on to see what would fit. As for the Nike's they were Michael's normal skating shoes that he wore on set and ended up being used for the movie. They also recast Jennifer when Michael became Marty so I'm pretty sure a lot of her outfit is also Guess.
yeah thats probably why it's so rare , maybe it was a store exclusive jacket in California
Crazy how stuff that was easily found back then is impossible to find now. Regardless, Marty's outfit is amazing and is what made me interested in the first place. Blue jeans and white Nikes with a red swoosh has become part of my everyday outfit, and that Guess denim jacket is something I and many others can only dream of owning. Truth is I'm not really into 'cosplaying' Marty, I just like what he wears and want it myself, especially since I mainly dress 80s inspired.

and yeah nice I do that too. if it is old 80s stuff tho it can wear down pretty quick sadly

yeah thats probably why it's so rare , maybe it was a store exclusive jacket in California
It was, and it was also originally sold as a youth jacket so most people went for the adult sized Marciano jacket with the different pockets and larger colour choices.

Because it was a youth jacket, most people threw them away once they grew out of them. They were also expensive jackets so buying them for children was not very practical anyways.

I'm curious if there are any 1984 Californian Guess or store magazines that advertised the jacket, would be interesting to look at.

It was, and it was also originally sold as a youth jacket so most people went for the adult sized Marciano jacket with the different pockets and larger colour choices.

Because it was a youth jacket, most people threw them away once they grew out of them. They were also expensive jackets so buying them for children was not very practical anyways.

I'm curious if there are any 1984 Californian Guess or store magazines that advertised the jacket, would be interesting to look at.
ah right , what size would have it gone up to in adult sizes then ? , what's the largest size thats been found

ah right any idea what that translates too in S , M , L sizing ?
The biggest size, size 20, probably translates to an adult S.
and cool jacket , where they an 80s or 90s one ? also I've never seen that Michael J. Fox photo before
My jacket actually dates before the 1984 jacket used in BTTF, and I suspect was made in 1983 due an advert I found.

That Michael J. Fox photo is a behind the scenes photo with Steven Spielberg (who I edited out for my use).
2171_06477.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back