Baby Yoda Bag

Conqueror_Worm

I've started working on a replica of the baby Yoda/Grogu/biker scout bag from The Mandalorian, season 1 ep 8.
From another RPF thread, I learned that the bag and strap were made from a large British P37 bag, and a XL 4171 Rothco belt. The color of my bag is lighter than I was expecting, and it is definitely lighter than the belt. I may dye it.
p05BSX2u_o.png
DeKh9hn6_o.jpg

70b3sLbj_o.jpg
YvGhrIpa_o.jpg
yN2owzdD_o.jpg

Its hard to see the fasteners that were used, but they appear to have flat, smooth heads, with a chamfer around the edge. I decided to use chicago screws. The ones I bought have a 9.5mm dia head, and can grip 5mm of material.
8Ep7QXXb_o.png
RPXxB9nf_o.jpg

The belt buckle isn't used, so I started by removing the stitching and rivets that hold it on.
nVrFcFi7_o.jpg
svuEGUvC_o.jpg

I put the chicago screws through the holes left by the rivets to complete this end of the strap.
YPHQwuKy_o.png
PHuUBXC1_o.jpg

nm5d2O80_o.png
voJstuaG_o.jpg

The other end of the strap requires additional holes. I folded the end of the belt to match the screenshot, then stuck a marker through the appropriate grommet to mark the location of the new holes. I used a leather punch to cut the holes (not the best tool for the job, but it worked).
PhKUuVQl_o.jpg

Chicago screws are put through the grommets and the new holes, completing the strap.
6DN7cehM_o.png
P2EJM4QL_o.jpg

Last edited:
To connect the strap to the bag, I used a pair of 50mm (2") nickel plated oval metal loops.
8ElW4GkB_o.jpg

There are two short straps on the back of the bag that are used to attach the main strap. They must be folded over and secured with chicago screws.
oReBaL4a_o.jpg

Aligning the inside edge of the metal fitting, with the top of the stitching, creates a loop similar in size to the one seen on screen.
ds7c9hly_o.jpg

The holes for the chicago screws were made with a hot wire.
U3eY1uSs_o.jpg

The fully assembled strap:
iSMnMVGs_o.jpg
uytsGRsG_o.jpg

The bag definitely needs to be dyed a darker color.

I found a continuity error that is effecting this project. There is a pair of straps on the front of the bag that only appear in some scenes.
Bag with straps:
9nXSLkvV_o.png
smebYqGV_o.png

ZTpBxMjK_o.png

Bag without straps:
vyEUPgzi_o.png
K8auPV5x_o.png

2QD36bQI_o.png

It looks like the straps only appear on bags held or worn by IG-11 (IG also holds strapless bags). This makes me think that bags with straps are CGI, and that the CGI artists modeled the bag so that the straps, that are normally attached to the flap that covers the top of the bag, are instead attached to the front of the bag.
The buckles also look different when the bag has straps. The buckle on the real bag has a cut-out that gives it a C shape:
mZKm6nG0_o.png

The buckle with strap is a closed loop:
u2lLO0Yl_o.png

That said, I'm going to leave my bag the way it is. My bag will be displayed with the flap closed (unless I get a Grogu), so the straps will appear correct for either version.

Last edited:
For some reason I’m obsessed with this bag.. I have yet to do this project but want to really bad

You did an amazing tutorial!! Thank you for sharing all your gathered knowledge with pictures!

I wonder if the straps are only on the CGI bag?

A3B75317-5270-4325-A16C-3A5383E77FA3.jpeg
Thanks for posting your tutorial, great read. Just wondering it this a different bag? I’m assuming so as it has a front round greeble, that looks like a hard drive hub and some sort of plate, not sure if this version has the rank bar greeble on the flap with the switch lens,

View attachment 1512938Thanks for posting your tutorial, great read. Just wondering it this a different bag? I’m assuming so as it has a front round greeble, that looks like a hard drive hub and some sort of plate, not sure if this version has the rank bar greeble on the flap with the switch lens,
For some strange reason I like bags.. I don’t know what it is.. I’m a fan of messenger bags and back packs.. maybe because I’ve always had one with me since I started school?

I really liked when mando started carrying him around in the military bag

When I saw him riding shot gun on the speeder I thought it was the same bag but to me it seems shorter… or at least the one on ig88s chest is much taller

I too wondered if it were the same bag just modified

For some strange reason I like bags.. I don’t know what it is.. I’m a fan of messenger bags and back packs.. maybe because I’ve always had one with me since I started school?

I really liked when mando started carrying him around in the military bag

When I saw him riding shot gun on the speeder I thought it was the same bag but to me it seems shorter… or at least the one on ig88s chest is much taller

I too wondered if it were the same bag just modified
This was my thought as well.
It seems several of the props got upgrades by season 2.

I was gifted a small blue/grey p37 bag, I’ll pick up the large khaki version at some point, but thought I’d have a play with this one in the meantime and threw on a patch and small rank badge, (the larger switch lens looked too big) - I’ll just be using this as an every day bag as opposed display.

I also think the round plate greeble I posted above is a floor drain grate.

1DCBBC33-B34C-4113-B961-ADA0851D45DE.jpeg

It looks like the rank badge is centered on the strap, and extends to the corner chamfer:
LJ9welDx_o.png

This means the rank bar is around 90mm in length. If they followed standard imperial procedure, the red rectangles should be EAO 01-901.2 pushbutton lens caps. I'm also going to assume they attached the rank bar with the same Chicago screws used on the strap.
After a couple prototypes, I settled on these dimensions:
NgL0Vwlq_o.png

The backing plate is 3D printed, and has the necessary slots and holes for mounting. Pushbutton lenses are glued in place and the mounting legs are cut flush with the back of the plate:
RqqafTwu_o.jpg

The print is painted to look like aluminum, the Chicago screws are painted black, and the middle lens cap is painted gloss white.
jL0Rtf95_o.jpg

Mounting holes added to the bag:
hcAqtSKa_o.jpg

bmgLPRD6_o.jpg

Rank badge installed:
3I6iyIwD_o.png

k86mbH2F_o.png

I'm fairly happy with this, but there are a couple more things to sort out. I don't think they did the typical imperial rank bar. It looks like there is a black bezel around the button lens-
Ango77yG_o.png

Something like this:
Uh2kbbYS_o.jpg

I may try 3D printing a few, just to see how it looks, I haven't decided yet.

I’ve been going down the rabbit hole of baby Yoda (Grogu) bags…

Can we confirm there are THREE carry bags?

1. The bag first mentioned in this thread. Used by IG-11 and the Biker Scouts. This looks to be a WW2 P37 “Large” mag modified with a new strap.

2. The bag mentioned in post #5…with the added greeblie. This bag doesn’t look as deep as bag #1?

3. This bag looks a little less rigid and seems softer. It hangs a little sloppier. I’ve found no info on this bag, only pics. Anybody have any info on this bag?

Attachments

• D0B33420-C548-402D-9DF6-4710D2164774.jpeg
    D0B33420-C548-402D-9DF6-4710D2164774.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 96
  • 214EAF22-A7FB-4B02-9412-092CA1C7E47D.jpeg
    214EAF22-A7FB-4B02-9412-092CA1C7E47D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
The saddle bag in post 5 is also a P37.

The bag in your pix is different.
Probably custom made for the show.
Looks like it's made from a blanket.

I’ve been going down the rabbit hole of baby Yoda (Grogu) bags…

Can we confirm there are THREE carry bags?

1. The bag first mentioned in this thread. Used by IG-11 and the Biker Scouts. This looks to be a WW2 P37 “Large” mag modified with a new strap.

2. The bag mentioned in post #5…with the added greeblie. This bag doesn’t look as deep as bag #1?

3. This bag looks a little less rigid and seems softer. It hangs a little sloppier. I’ve found no info on this bag, only pics. Anybody have any info on this bag?

Having just rewatched that episode, your bag no. 3 is Grogu's hammock. You can see him sleeping in it a couple times during the episode.

Having just rewatched that episode, your bag no. 3 is Grogu's hammock. You can see him sleeping in it a couple times during the episode.

Grogu's hammock is definitely used...but this bag is used by Mando throughout season 2. Not sure about Season 1.

I just rewatched Season 2 yesterday as well and Mando uses Bag #3 several times in the series.

I actually found a guy on Etsy selling this particular bag. It looks pretty good and has several positive reviews by cosplayers. We'll see how it holds up to our RPF standards...LOL

I purchase one yesterday, I'll report back with my review!

This thread has inspired me. I've gone ahead and bought the bag and belt for this. Working on attaching the belt now. Just ordered the supplies for that. Not sure if I'll bother with the detail on the flap. I plan to display the bag open with the plush Grogu I have sticking out of it, so it won't be seen most of the time.

Thanks for posting your build, Conqueror_Worm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back