B/Y wing builds.

Finished the bulk of the painting and weathering although there is still a lot more detailing to do such as lazer burns, rusting,odd hand painted marks, decals etc. Every time I look at the reference I notice something more to be done.Incidentally for those that have asked (and to stop others) the best ref for the Orange spot version is to be found at Modellers Magic in the Star Wars section. Who ever took the photos did a superb job of getting the model from every angle.Also this resin kit is NOT the F&M studio scale model which is smaller and beautifully accurate, but the old Robert Burns version which is huge and somewhat less close to the original and no longer being made.
This paint scheme is very hard to replicate. The mixture of greys is difficult to get right, as in some cases they have been sprayed over each other on the original and its a pain to get the ratios right, because they are then over sprayed with a final white coating in places. Its also easy to go harder and heavier with the weathering so you'll need to be light with the airbrush.

2013_0630waxwings0001.jpg

2013_0630waxwings0004.jpg

2013_0630waxwings0013.jpg

2013_0630waxwings0014.jpg

2013_0630waxwings0017.jpg

2013_0630waxwings0011.jpg

2013_0630waxwings0012.jpg

2013_0630waxwings0015.jpg

Added these two shots to show how the B looks in natural light ie not so dark .

2013_0630waxwings0019.jpg

2013_0630waxwings0020.jpg

Last edited:
Thankfully my list is starting to shrink Troop. Red jammer Y wing and Barracuda up next. B wing now finished !!!! Well, almost, there's a couple of missing decals, the black triangles and the fighter squadron one but I have to say the rest of Jason's decals were of a very good quality and really finish it off. Overall, I'm not unhappy with the B now, alot of the marks and mess due to the alterations have disappeared under the paint now and actually add to the worn look. In many ways the single most difficult build I've ever done ,particularly the paint work because so many different techniques were used achieve the weathering. But the thing is huge and looks impressive up against the others in the cupboard.

2013_0824waxwings0001.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0009.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0026.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0017.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0002.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0005.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0013.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0012.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0022.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0006.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0016.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0015.jpg

2013_0824waxwings0023.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I've finally almost finished the Red Jammer. Putting the pipes in was the last bit of the build to do as its also the hardest. Its a real pain , I reccomend test fitting and painting them seperately before they go on the Jammer. I got the majority of the body painted before hand so there is just the grey and white over sprays to go on.

2014_0402waxwings0011.jpg

2014_0402waxwings0007.jpg

2014_0402waxwings0006.jpg

2014_0402waxwings0010.jpg

2014_0402waxwings0008.jpg

2014_0402waxwings0009.jpg

2014_0402waxwings0005.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Don, I'm not a fast builder,seems there are just too many other things to do as you get older, but I have enjoyed getting the Jammer almost to the finishing line. Some decals and small details to go on that I've forgotten THEN the overspraying. If I can clear this, a Space 1999 Swift and decide how to paint the Baracuda then I'm clear to start a new build finally (that will probably take years as well). Salzo Probe droid or Brundelfly pyro x wing I guess. Or a pair of macrobinoculars!!!

Thanks guys. The main thing that I've come to notice painting wise is just how hard the ILM look is to get right. There are effects that you can only get by multiple oversprays and then adding more detail, then overspraying again. getting it in the right order is really difficult. And its the fact the darn things originally got rebuilt , resprayed and refinished a couple of times, particularly in Red Jammers case that alters the look. Hence I've left the pipes to go on until after the bulk of the Jammer was painted , plus the fact that you'll knock them off time and again if you don't ,and I'll "re age" it again. Reconsidering doing the old X wing again to something more ILM like, like the hero Red 3 as opposed to the larger scale version it currently is as it needs some repairs anyway. Theres very few people here that can get the painting technique spot on and I've learn't a hell of a lot more from watching them over the years than when I first started using my own style. Freehanding is far easier than trying to replicate an exact duplicate. Due a spell of good weather again soon apparently , so I'll get the windows open again and fire up the airbrushes. I hate the stink of paint in the house!!!

PS That B wing was perhaps the worst and the best model I've yet built. Correcting it to get it a little more screen like was just something I never really want to do ever again. The more you solved, the more you then wanted to try a recorrect on it. I need to learn how to cast things, particularly donar parts, but it looks complex and messy, otherwise I could have finished ages ago instead of just pushing it aside in frustration for a while. If Franks SS model had been around at the time I wouldn't even have bothered trying to finish mine off at all. But if there s a lesson to be learnt here, you learn alot by your mistakes and the B wing was a great teacher in that respect. And it definitely taught me that if you have some Apoxy sculpt, super glue and sheets of plastic, theres not much you cannot eventually fix.

Last edited:
Wow you´ve really done an incredible job on both builds! :thumbsup I know (from experience... :D ) how much work the B-Wing kit needs, even more when built to the level of accuracy as you did. Even mine took years to be completed, and you´ve gone much further.
Love the Y as well, well I love any well-built and painted Y. :) I have an old Neisen Y sitting at home, waiting be be painted for 7-8 years now... As you said, the ILM paint jobs are crazy and I´m afraid of even starting. Still hope more SS Ys will get released, I started saving up for another one the same moment when Steve announced there´d be Gold Y-Wing kits.

Hi Daniel, I took ALOT of inspiration from your mods and TJs builds. Apparently a "recorrected" version of the kit by the original caster is being offered now with 3D grown parts but its alot more money. I can understand that trepidation, I've got a Salzo probe droid waiting, but its a toss up whether to have a go at this or try to build one exactly studio scale and with actual donar parts!!!!!!! I have the shells from Mars partly done, but it looks a daunting task. Anyway , I'm sure your Ys will turn out great in the end !!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back