B-Wing Studio Scale

:)

Attachments

• 3803813900_2d0s921908d1_b.jpg
    3803813900_2d0s921908d1_b.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 191
Hi! Glad to see this renewal of B-Wing interest. My drawings were based on images of the B-Wing model, without benefit of direct measurement. The advent of the Bandai kit, which was made with direct access to the archived models made my drawings superfluous since I can take measurements from the kit and multiply by 150% for 1/48 scale (my target.) I still like my 'alighting gear' design and will incorporate into my model...
Some findings that may help:
1. The 'fan' inside the aft cockpit pod section's hole comes from the Tamiya 1/32 F-14 (exhaust pipe turbine disk). This is evident because of the center circle with the notch, which mates to the 'flameholder' part. Don't confuse with the engine front compressor parts...
2. As already noted, the 1/48 A-10 provided the 'engine cans' (the raised detailing on the kit parts are exact match to B-Wing photos.)
3. The 1/32 Tamiya F-14 drop tanks are the pieces alongside the engine 'pod'.
4. The Tamiya F-14 also provided the 'four fins' on the main 'wing' section. From the Sidewinder missiles parts
5. And! The F-14 provided the pilot figure, which was the kit pilot with a head swap with the deck crewman, hence the goggles and ear protectors...
{Which means the filming miniature was "1/32" scale, not 1/24.}
6. The folding 'foil' wings are as noted were from the 1/32 Hasegawa F-18. However, it must be the first release with the white, blue and gold striped prototype scheme; this is apparent from the notched wing leading edge {aka the 'trailing edge' of the B-wing!). Also, almost certainly the thickened B-Wing foil leading edge was made using a 1/144 space shuttle kit cargo bay door. Whether it was the Airfix, Revell or an Entex kit is unknown not enough residual detail to make a determination. I suspect the Revell kit. (see #8)
7. The aft cockpit pod section is from a space shuttle EFT nose cone (the big 'orange' tank) with the tip cut off at an angle. Doesn't appear to be a vacuformed part given the thickness of the plastic. Work in progress images show the vac'ed pieces for the pod's *forward* cockpit section.
8. The cockpit pod center section is also from a space shuttle EFT. It is the portion with the raised 'stiffener' ridge details (aka the 'intertank' section.) This appears to be the Revell kit as the Airfix does not have the ridge detail. Also, the Revell kit has the entire EFT molded in two halves, so the same 'molding' draft is evident in the B-Wing...
9. The large sinuous pipes adjacent to the B-Wing engine 'block' are undoubtedly from the exhausts of the Tamiya 312T kit.
10. The 'vents' on top and bottom of the engine pod are from the 1/32 F-14 kit's Phoenix missile 'racks', cut off from the aft, rounded portions.
I hope this helps!
Regards, Robert

Hi! Glad to see this renewal of B-Wing interest. My drawings were based on images of the B-Wing model, without benefit of direct measurement. The advent of the Bandai kit, which was made with direct access to the archived models made my drawings superfluous since I can take measurements from the kit and multiply by 150% for 1/48 scale (my target.) I still like my 'alighting gear' design and will incorporate into my model...
1. The 'fan' inside the aft cockpit pod section's hole comes from the Tamiya 1/32 F-14 (exhaust pipe turbine disk). This is evident because of the center circle with the notch, which mates to the 'flameholder' part. Don't confuse with the engine front compressor parts...
2. As already noted, the 1/48 A-10 provided the 'engine cans' (the raised detailing on the kit parts are exact match to B-Wing photos.)
4. The Tamiya F-14 also provided the 'four fins' on the main 'wing' section. From the Sidewinder missiles parts
5. And! The F-14 provided the pilot figure, which was the kit pilot with a head swap with the deck crewman, hence the goggles and ear protectors...
6. The folding 'foil' wings are as noted were from the 1/32 Hasegawa F-18. However, it must be the first release with the white, blue and gold striped prototype scheme; this is apparent from the notched wing leading edge {aka the 'trailing edge' of the B-wing!). Also, almost certainly the thickened B-Wing foil leading edge was made using a 1/144 space shuttle kit cargo bay door. Whether it was the Airfix, Revell or an Entex kit is unknown not enough residual detail to make a determination. I suspect the Revell kit. (see #8)
7. The aft cockpit pod section is from a space shuttle EFT nose cone (the big 'orange' tank) with the tip cut off at an angle. Doesn't appear to be a vacuformed part given the thickness of the plastic. Work in progress images show the vac'ed pieces for the pod's *forward* cockpit section.
8. The cockpit pod center section is also from a space shuttle EFT. It is the portion with the raised 'stiffener' ridge details (aka the 'intertank' section.) This appears to be the Revell kit as the Airfix does not have the ridge detail. Also, the Revell kit has the entire EFT molded in two halves, so the same 'molding' draft is evident in the B-Wing...
9. The large sinuous pipes adjacent to the B-Wing engine 'block' are undoubtedly from the exhausts of the Tamiya 312T kit.
10. The 'vents' on top and bottom of the engine pod are from the 1/32 F-14 kit's Phoenix missile 'racks', cut off from the aft, rounded portions.
I hope this helps!
Regards, Robert
Thank you very much for your help
point 10 I do not understand, do you have a photo that helps?

I hope this helps!
Regards, Robert

Wow thanks a lot for the info.

Point 8 makes total sense.
I have bin looking at the airfix and it looked a bit of. Especially the small fins, I thought it was just sanded down.

Hi everyone, I am busy building my FM B wing resin kit and I just noticed that I am missing the two pieces of the wing cannons as in the picture could someone help me and tell me where I could I find these parts? THANKS

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 100
Hi everyone !
I really need your help to be able to complete my resin kit.
could someone provide me with the two resin parts of the wing cannons of the b wing as above
or is it possible to give me the reference about the different kits that were used to make them? thanks

Hi everyone !
I really need your help to be able to complete my resin kit.
could someone provide me with the two resin parts of the wing cannons of the b wing as above
or is it possible to give me the reference about the different kits that were used to make them? thanks

Can you clarify which two parts? That cannon in the pic looks to be from the end of the main fuselage? I have parts ID'd for the main cannon but have limited mapping of the wing cannons (suggest a start with the Hasegawa Leopold). LMK and I'll do what I can to help.

Can you clarify which two parts? That cannon in the pic looks to be from the end of the main fuselage? I have parts ID'd for the main cannon but have limited mapping of the wing cannons (suggest a start with the Hasegawa Leopold). LMK and I'll do what I can to help.
I need the part in green for the two cannons at the end of the wings as shown on the plan because they are missing from the kit. or the references of the kits used so that I can redo them. THANKS

Attachments

• IMG_20230325_111948.jpg
    IMG_20230325_111948.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20230325_111957.jpg
    IMG_20230325_111957.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 97
I need the part in green for the two cannons at the end of the wings as shown on the plan because they are missing from the kit. or the references of the kits used so that I can redo them. THANKS

Sorry, but the only part that I recognize is #A8 from the Hasegawa 1/72 Morser Karl. It's the piece with the two cylinders sitting on top. If I run across any other parts I'll post them here.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back