Atlas Shrugged Movie - Just saw it.

MattMunson

Master Member
Since the old thread was locked due to everyone having a meltdown over Rand's ideology, I thought I would start a new thread.

I watched the movie last night, and as a huge fan of the book, I thought it was decent. I can see how the uninitiated would find it pretty dry and boring. Without the background and context of the book in your head, a lot of what is going on seems confusing. As someone who has read the book, I think it's a very nice visualization of many key moments of the movie.

I think my only genuine nit about the movie is that most of the John Galt Line train CGI looks pretty "made-for-tv" quality, but the rest of the movie looks great. Very nice production design. Not too over the top, but definitely a tad other-wordly.

I thought setting it in near-future was also interesting, and they spent a moment explaining why rail travel was now relevant. I guess if you can swallow that pill, the rest falls into place.

I personally am looking forward to the next movie, to see where they go with it. Seeing how dismal the domestic take was is pretty disappointing though, and does not offer much enthusiasm for the entire trilogy. With the global popularity of the book, I'm kind of stunned at how badly the movie did. I didn't think it was THAT bad, though I guess the real trick is to appeal to a very broad audience.

Broad audience ayup. You can't rely solely on an existing fanbase - ask the average man in the street if he's ever even heard of the book; you'll get a lot of negatives.

(I guess literary ignorance isn't all bad.) :thumbsup :D

Sorry, sorry! Couldn't resist. I hope this thread doesn't go south as badly as the last one. I'm not a Rand fan, but I'd like to think I can discuss her work civilly.

I'm kind of stunned at how badly the movie did. I didn't think it was THAT bad, though I guess the real trick is to appeal to a very broad audience.

Really? You are? Given the attitude of so many, and especially considering the drivel Hollywood is constantly promoting, I think the fact that this movie was made at all is nothing short of a miracle.

I too really enjoyed the book, although some of the speeches got REALLY long and find myself drawn to Rand's ideology but also a little torn on it.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm really looking forward to it!

True story. Just ask the Browncoats.

That's not really apples and apples, though; Universal badly, badly mismarketed it, putting all its eggs in the word-of-mouth basket by showing the movie for free in advance to nearly any Browncoat who asked.

All that did was show the movie for free to the one subset of moviegoers who were inclined to pay for it in the first place.

That's not really apples and apples, though; Universal badly, badly mismarketed it, putting all its eggs in the word-of-mouth basket by showing the movie for free in advance to nearly any Browncoat who asked.

All that did was show the movie for free to the one subset of moviegoers who were inclined to pay for it in the first place.

That's true. I'm more just getting at the general sense of "The hardcore fans will see it" and that not being enough to propel the film to financial success.

But yeah, Universal mismarketed the thing, although I think marketing the film would've been difficult anyway.

But yeah, Universal mismarketed the thing, although I think marketing the film would've been difficult anyway.

SERENITY - the only thing calm about these space pirates is the name of their ship!

BANG SHOOT SWOOPING SPACE BATTLES SEXY GIRLS MORE SHOOTING END QUIP COMING SOON

First-year marketing students could have done a better job.

But the only reason I knew there was an Atlas Shrugged movie is because my homey Mick LaSalle wrote an entire review of it whose main point was you had to read the book to understand a minute of what was going on.

I can't say I've read anything by Ayn Rand. The only thing Ayn Rand-related that I've managed to sit through was the film adaptation of The Passion of Ayn Rand. I thought that was good, but it didn't make me interested enough in Ayn Rand to go out and buy one of her books to read (trust me, I've done it before. Most recently, I watched Henry and June and became interested in reading the published diary by Anais Nin).

But other than that, I can't really say much about Ayn Rand or if I want to see the film or even read the novel.

SERENITY - the only thing calm about these space pirates is the name of their ship!

BANG SHOOT SWOOPING SPACE BATTLES SEXY GIRLS MORE SHOOTING END QUIP COMING SOON

First-year marketing students could have done a better job.

But the only reason I knew there was an Atlas Shrugged movie is because my homey Mick LaSalle wrote an entire review of it whose main point was you had to read the book to understand a minute of what was going on.

Ha, true, but it wouldn't have been an entirely accurate representation of the film.

Which I guess means it'd be a DYNAMITE marketing campaign.

See also:

Starship Troopers (1997)

Bridge to Terabithia (2007)

Didn't work in that case, but if the movie really works on its own, you can give away as many tickets to the fans as you want and it won't make any difference.

I saw The Dark Knight twice before it opened on Warner's dollar. They made a few back.

Which itself was named after the Battle of Serenity Valley, a particularly bloody battle that ended in Mal's side losing the war against the Alliance. So, no. There's nothing calm about the ship's name.

I think you rather missed the point, again. Marketing has nothing whatsoever to do with product. It's all about Jedi-mind tricking the dollars from your wallet.

Ha, true, but it wouldn't have been an entirely accurate representation of the film.

Which I guess means it'd be a DYNAMITE marketing campaign.)

Solo grokked; you didn't read his reply?

You're following this thread, yes? Solo said it would be hard to market; I showed an easy way to do so.

"I schlepped to the bodega for some sushi." What language am I writing in? :lol

Which itself was named after the Battle of Serenity Valley, a particularly bloody battle that ended in Mal's side losing the war against the Alliance. So, no. There's nothing calm about the ship's name.

LarryPalm.jpg

We were talking in an advertising context. An in-narrative bit of information does not override the perceived calmness of the word. It's the contrast that makes the name significant, regardless of what "historical" event is reference. (Which -- guess what -- was invented to have a contrarily-named effect, too.)

We were talking in an advertising context. An in-narrative bit of information does not override the perceived calmness of the word.

Hmm. You're right. Now that I think about it, that tagline actually works considering that it's daring those who read it to think "If that's the case, why would these people name their ship Serenity?". They'll assume it's just for comedic effect since it's so opposite of the characters when it turns out to be something completely different.

:cool

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back