AT-AT WALKER 3D MODEL

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, so it's high time I had a go at modelling an accurate version of this beloved and slightly bizarre classic prop...one of my all time faves, but there doesn't seem to be a really good printable one out there. I like the look of the Merlin models kit but a bit pricey for me and I'd rather build my own if possible. There is a good amount of reference material online so it should be do-able if I can identify the kit bashed parts
I will undoubtedly build this at some future point and probably do it as big as possible...like maybe 1/6 or even 1/4 but for now this will be studio scale at 1/48

Started on the feet;

AT-AT.jpg
AT-AT 2.jpg
AT-AT 3.jpg

Last edited:
Will all the parts move like the actual model?
Yes, that's the plan...I will need to do a lot of test printing to make sure it all works and moves correctly and then think about maybe installing some mechanics for movement.
Here he goes again. Man you are a workaholic. You know they have pills for that, ; )
Ha...there's just so many fantastic things to make! Actually, If u have any info on kit parts, I would be eternally grateful if u could PM anything.

OK, finished the legs...they are not all the same but once you've done one they're similar enough;

AT-AT 6.jpg

AT-AT 7.jpg

AT-AT 4.jpg
AT-AT 5.jpg

One thing pointed out to me years ago, so now I notice this with ALL models built, is how the top part of the foot goes down into itself. I've seen a behind the scenes pic of all the parts laid out, and you can see the bottom part of the feet with springs on them. Can't find that pic now.
If seems that some of the ILM models did not do this, while others did.
I can tell in the movie where it does and doesn't.
Its very subtle, but really cool the amou t of work and thought put into these things.

Heres best pic I could find of the bigger leg model where it does this. On my phone, so just had to use my finger to drawn the parts out.
Not many people include this moving part, so I like to see it added in for best accuracy.
ratio3x2_1200.jpg

Yes, that's the plan...I will need to do a lot of test printing to make sure it all works and moves correctly and then think about maybe installing some mechanics for movement.

Ha...there's just so many fantastic things to make! Actually, If u have any info on kit parts, I would be eternally grateful if u could PM anything.

OK, finished the legs...they are not all the same but once you've done one they're similar enough;

View attachment 1636881
View attachment 1636883
View attachment 1636882View attachment 1636884
If I see anything I recognize I'll be sure to let you know. Looking good as usual.

I'm currently trying to make one too on Maya, but I'm having a nightmare trying to do it as a subdivision model. What software are you using? It is a really clean build!

OK got the mid body section done and tweaked the back end a bit...the main thing I'm noticing is that most of the 3D models that are around are too digital...all sharp edges and symmetry. If u study pics of the original props there are curves everywhere...they're much more organic looking and characterful

AT-AT 11.jpg
AT-AT 12.jpg
AT-AT 13.jpg

Here's that picture that JediMichael mentioned :)

AT-AT metal parts.jpg

The detailed back panel orientation seems to change from model to model ... there are even those where they are totally absent :

img_117971_small.jpg

nhglWjZ.jpg

That said the 1/144 scale Bandai AT-AT has that backpanel orientated just as north3 showed us in his W.I.P. thread and in the 3D works made by Leonard_Yee :

AT-AT Back.jpg

So it just depends on your AT-AT of reference ... which way those greeblies go ...up or down ... speaking of those ... here's two threadpost which mentions lot of kit parts :

... as well as other interesting info on the studio scale AT-AT's on the other pages too ;)

Loving your work GEEK1138 as always,

Chaïm

Thanks Chaim...very interesting stuff. I think I'm gonna stick with the orientation I have because most of the old pics I have support it but yeah, there are a few original props with a few variations to choose from

Also thanks JediMichael, I will need to do some test printing on the feet to have the spring compression feature installed

And also, Christrom...I have watched your excellent video on the mechatronic movement and will probably be pestering you in due course when I come to address that side of things

Here is another update on the modelling side; front box done for now
AT-AT 14.jpg

AT-AT 15.jpg

and everything so far
AT-AT 16.jpg
AT-AT 17.jpg

Great work as usual. My only question is do the feet need to angle/ flare out more at the bottom? From your pics it looks as though the walls of the feet are vertical. From the ref photos I have the feet flare out at the bottom as does the foot ankle/ compression section.

This has got to be the most complex model they made for all the Star Wars movies....if not even more.
I don't think my brain could comprehend trying to design something like this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back