Assassin's Creed Doctor Build - Halloween Edition - Coat finished! 10-21-11

Theist17

Hi all,

I was wandering around Target today, wondering what I was going to be for Halloween, when I ran across this little beauty:
"Leather" Masquerade Mask

Of course, I thought of our dear friend, The Doctor, from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. And then I remembered that Halloween isn't all that far away and that I have a super-limited costuming budget right now. No money for fancy vambraces and whatnot. But it's twelve bucks, so why can't I just be a doctor? Much simpler; a black coat, black pants and turtleneck, some foam armbands and a suitable hat (which may prove tricky to find on a small budget). I also need a balaclava. There is also a far less-complicated belt involved here.

EDIT: I'll just leave this here.

Let's make a list of what's needed here!

- Black gloves (Possibly free from a friend)
- Armbands

And, what the heck, why not a list of what I have done!

- Hat is finished
- Mask is finished
- Cowl is finished
- Coat is FINISHED!
- Own black pants
- Own black shoes
- Made two lists!

Last edited:
Re: Assassin's Creed Doctor Build - Halloween Edition

Fantastic news, everybody! I decided that I like the hat the way it is on the game model and that the flat hat can wait for another time, perhaps a convention or ren faire!

This will make it simpler to get the costume together before Halloween, and I can focus on getting my dad's birthday present!
(Lucky him, born on the 31st. Haha)

EDIT: HA! Just as I give up on the "perfect" hat, I figure out what it is! Through some mild research, I have discovered that what I'm looking for is a black felt gaucho hat!

Last edited:

Bump for list edit - Mask progress

Still no source for the black coat. Anybody got a good pattern for one? I may have to end up making it, and its getting to be crunch time.

I'm also considering just building the hat out of card stock and covering with a black rubberized spray I have lying around until I can get some stuff with my bank sorted out. Who deletes a debit card from the system for lack of use? Seriously jacked up.

Anyway, the costume is shaping up pretty well so far. The only big deal things I have left are the coat and balaclava. I could maybe cut up an old thrift store ski mask for that, but I'd rather not have to.

Last edited:

Sorry, no ideas for the coat or hat. Just wanted to chime in as a fellow AC fan. Would love to see some pics of what you've got so far.

Good to see some interest! I was beginning to think that I had come up with the least popular idea on the board. Haha

Turns out that the camera's at the office in a drawer, so I'll be grabbing that and some pictures of the mask (which is, unfortunately, all I really have work done on) tomorrow morning. I've smeared bondo all over this thing in an effort to get a carved wooden aesthetic going.

I did find a pattern for a gaucho hat today, with the help of a friend, and it looks like a three hour job, even though the pattern says twelve. I seriously doubt that it takes that long to size, cut, and hand stitch something this simple and small.

I may also be sewing the coat if I can't find something in the next week or so. Updates soon!

I am also a big AC fan and the doctor has to be my
Favorite character. I can't wait to see how this turns out! Keep us updated!

Please bear in mind that I'm not doing a Malfatto build. I'm just doing A doctor build. I don't have the time or money to do a Malfatto costume up right.

That said, have a picture or two!

Here's the mask with the lower jaw built out of card stock:

This is the Mask all bondo'd up and with a coat of paint from before the secondary bondo. It looked too smooth on the top portion, and I decided that, to cut down on time and increase authenticity a bit, I would make this look like carved and pitted wood.

And here's the hat I found at Spirit Halloween for ten bucks yesterday!

I've found a lightweight fabric that will work for the Halloween costume coat at four bucks a yard, and I might buy some liner I like at the same price. The pattern is very simple. One big center seam down the back, front panels, and one-piece sleeves. I won't even need pockets. :)

Last edited:
Re: Assassin's Creed Doctor Build - Halloween Edition - Now with pictures!

Got the mask all painted up and everything. The hat covers the brow when it's at the angle I want, so I didn't bother with bondo up there. What little I do have is helping the hat stay in place.

Enough jabbering, here's a picture!

I'm probably going to go back with a dark color, possibly a brown or green, and dry-brush in the curvature of the beak where the top and bottom halves meet.

Last edited:

Got the detail done on the mask, so I can cross that off my little list up there. This is a test fitting with my pea coat, so don't get all excited about it.

I also picked up my fabric for the coat shell today. I'm still debating whether or not to line it. We'll see, I guess.

EDIT: Oh gosh, what a fool I am. I didn't get any interfacing for the lapels. Maybe a relative will have some lying around that I can have.

Does anyone have any tips for making patterns? Otherwise I'm just gonna be eyeballing this. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna measure thrice before cutting once, but if there's a cheap or free way I can pattern this first, I'd like to do that.

Last edited:

Bump.

Front and back panels cut for the coat, purely by measurement and feel. So, don't be surprised if this turns out to be a waste of twenty bucks at the fabric store!

EDIT: Also cut out roughs of the sleeves. All that's left on this is cutting out the lapels, attaching fusible interfacing to give them some rigidity, cutting out and stitching up the other side of the lapels, cutting the contour of the arm holes, and stitching it all together! That's not a ton of work, right?

. . . right?

Last edited:

Front and back panels are now stitched together, as well as the center seam in the back. Still have to cut out the lapels, arm holes, and stitch up the sides. Pictures as soon as that's done!

Logged some time on the old warhorse today, and I managed to get everything sewn on except the collar. I still need to cut out the space for my neck (because I'm an idiot and didn't do that to begin with) I plan to do that by popping stitches until I feel like I've got enough room for good draping, and then closing the seam by hand.

Anyway, the coat's about finished. Hemming and whatnot is scheduled to go on tomorrow morning. Pictures as soon as I can!

The limp collar is cut up and all attached and such. I'm considering making the head cover instead of spending another six bucks on one of those invisible face masks. We'll see. I'm gonna find some interfacing, because I forgot to put it in before. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I recently came across one of those masks and thought of making the same costume.

I recently came across one of those masks and thought of making the same costume.

Honestly, this isn't hard at all compared to what I was expecting. The tailoring a coat bit is the most difficult part, and that's just because I'm making it hard on myself and not planning this out properly before doing it.

That said, I'm having to resize the left lapel so it doesn't look cartoonishly large. Dunno how I managed to mess that up, but it's a good thing I noticed before the interfacing went on!

The cowl is now finished, and closes with a pair of hook and eye closures, like you see on suit pants. It's pretty rough-looking, but I think that lends credibility to the costume. Or I'm just lazy and not a good craftsman; but you know.

For real this time, I'm gonna have some pictures soon.

Can't wait to see it. I always thought it was a cool (and pretty creepy) mask in the game.

Indeed,this would be a costume i would like for myself. I always liked the style of this suit...creepy ,mystical....

Nice progress ;) can't wait for more

Here's a new picture just to stay updated.

Here's the coat as it was a couple of days ago. The cuffs are hemmed now, and the lapels are fixed, but I've not gotten around to taking pictures of it all yet.

I'll grab a picture of the cowl with the mask and hat on tomorrow morning. I'd do it now, but it's not incredibly wise to be creeping about this house past midnight wearing a creepy mask.

Finally finished the coat today!

I'm going to make the arm bands tomorrow out of some EVA foam that I have lying around, and then the only thing in my way is the gloves!

PICTURE!

1021111600.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back