Ash vs. Evil Dead (TV Series)

So im the only one not on board with this at all. The writing and acting all seems forced with the super forced F'bombs thrown in for the kids. Ash himself seems to flip flop between cocky Ash and some guy pretending to cosplay Ash. Six episodes in and I still cant tell you anyones names (minus Ash of course) and the cop side story is just terrible. The fun they could have made in the trailer park should have lasted at least three episodes yet they dump it faster than the time spent in the work place to instantly hit the road with forced comradery and basic "location, terrible dialogue, fight, move on" formula.

What happened here? How did it all go so wrong? There must be an grumpy cat meme about all this by now.

Support ya on call it like you see it, god knows I have not liked returns to certain franchises with a passion,
but yeah, you might be the only one. ;) Which is ok but I know that outsider feeling all too well.
Perhaps it's the lack of that midnight movie cinema experience, the flow of the same director and team working the same film
and two hour experience.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/ash-vs-evil-dead/

98%
Average Rating: 8/10
Reviews Counted: 44
Fresh: 43
Rotten: 1
Top critics
100%
Average Rating: 7.5/10
Reviews Counted: 17
Fresh: 17
Rotten: 0

Critics Consensus: True to the movies that spawned it, Ash vs. Evil Dead is a gory, hilarious, and audacious resurrection of Sam Raimi's beloved horror franchise.

I'm thinking of holding off on watching more of it, and wait for a fanedit of Ep1-10 together in a classic "feature" style, no credits etc. No doubt it will happen pretty soon after the final episode of the season airs. I enjoyed the 27 minute run time at first, but now it's kind of wearing thin. The majority of every episode seems to be only one scene/one location, so maybe a fan edit feature would be the best format to enjoy this. Then again, some fan edits are dire :D. Will hold out for a Doc Sapirstein fan edit! :D

I miss the big screen and the fans of ED reacting. I have very strong memories of my first viewings and the right
crowd is a big part of it.
I wish they would have had some kind of theater experience for this offered.
I would have waited for that.

I'm liking it so far. A nice mix of comdey and gore. I also love the music they have been working in. Great to here deeper cuts from that era like Space Truckin over Smoke on The Water etc... It was great how they worked in Alice Cooper's Be My Lover during the bathroom fight scene

Pablo's "Nope… I'm having an amazing day…" was so hilarious, Kelly was really REALLY ticked off this time…

EDIT: Wohooo! 2700 posts!

So, now we're one step away from being on familiar ground, which in this case, is the cabin. Ash's idea to get guns was definitely a good one, despite the major setbacks he and his companions have had. Kelly starting off wanting a flamethrower is the kind of overkill that anyone new to the situation would go for, but her switching to going with an assault rifle is way better. Ash finally gets told about Ruby a little bit, though no mention of the last name. And Ruby's literally rising from the ashes like a Phoenix is beginning to make me wonder if she is related to Professor Raymond, Henrietta and Annie Knowby or not (maybe she is, or maybe she's a person whose soul was taken by the Evil and she's wanting to get her soul free of the Evil, which would account for why she's after the Necronomicon). Ash's mechanical hand has revealed more of its Swiss Army knife nature, including a flashlight. The Ash/Cop vs. Lim (I hope I spelt that right) fight was kinda interesting. Also, how is Ash able to get a woman interested in him in this situation? He's like a freakin' Casanova, eh? Pablo and Kelly got a little action and humor in, showing that they're progressing as asskickers slowly approaching second place behind Ash.

Now, I've already figured how Kelly, Pablo and the cop are going to get to the cabin. They're gonna run into Ruby, as she probably knows where the cabin is, and is going to take them up there despite Ash trying to keep them out of it. Glad to see the cabin at the end of the episode (it looks like Ash is gonna have to deal with his old hand yet again). I'm surprised it's still standing, considering the damage it took at the end of ED2 from the trees. But the fireplace, the front porch as well as the front door appear to be intact again (with the exception that the two shotgun holes from ED2, or at least the two holes created by the Possessed Cheryl from ED1 depending on how you look at it, are still in the door). Going to be interesting seeing how close the cabin in the series looks compared to ED2 (I assume they probably recreated it very well, as the cabin in ED2 was constructed for the film, so they probably had the original blueprints for the set from ED2 in an archive or something).

I honestly have to say, can't wait to see next week's episode. :)

Last edited:
vlcsnap-2015-12-12-19h55m22s462.png

Any set designer for the show would have to just head to bookofthedead.ws and there, get all the blueprints of the cabin, pdf scans of the framed pictures hanging on the walls etc etc etc. It truly is a great resource for any ED fan.

For example:

ED2 Official set design sketch of the cabin by Philip Duffin, Production Designer:

ed2_photo_25.jpg

Well the new episode is now available....

How friggin great was the new episode :D!! The cabin looks fantastic. Some day if I ever win the lottery, there'll be a full-size replica of that cabin built, basement et al! One of the best episodes yet, which leaves a lot of hope for Ep9. and Ep.10! This 27minute formula is really starting to wear thin now with the anticipation for the final two eps.

Last edited:
Just saw the recent episode. It was pretty good. The cabin looks almost the same as it did in ED2 (I say almost due to the weathering down they did to make it look like it hadn't seen life for years. But also the fact that there did appear to be some continuity issues, such as the lid for the fruit cellar (which Ash cut down the middle to be able to get into the cellar to get the pages from Henrietta), but it's forgivable since the ED films are known for their lack of continuity between films. Loved seeing the work shed once more, and surprised by

the skull of Linda still in the vice. I would have figured that Ash would have sawed all the way through the head in ED2, since we all know the only way to destroy a Deadite is through bodily dismemberment. But I definitely liked the Linda's head in the vice hallucination, as it harkens back to ED2 with the times where Ash thought something was as it was, but turned out to be a hallucination or a nightmare caused by the Evil to screw around with him. I liked that they attempted to get Linda to look as she did in ED2. But, of course, we see Ash's evil hand with a few tricks of its own, namely growing a complete copy of Ash from its stump, harking back to the splitting of Ash and Bad Ash in AoD. We witness the cabin claiming its first victim in a long while, it being the cop, of course. I guess it was necessary, as to show that characters who are considered regulars are at risk. Loved the Ash vs. Ash fight. Kinda makes me wonder if Ash is really fighting an evil copy of himself or if the Evil took him over to kill the cop and he is now just hallucinating a fight with a bad Ash (seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if in the start of the next episode, Ash finds himself choking himself like how he found himself choking himself after the mirror Ash hallucination. Seriously, it's the kind of thing the Evil would do: make Ash think he's trapped in the work shed, all the while he's actually killing the cop without him realizing it). But back to the cabin. It was good seeing everything once more. The piano playing, I thought was going to reveal it playing itself once again instead of it being a mouse. Hearing the clock chime and still seeing it frozen still was also awesome. Spotted the picture of Anne Knowby still resting on the desk. And when the tape recorder was slowly playing, I began to worry because I thought the player was going to go from slow speed to normal speed and have the demon resurrection passages being read and draw the Evil at full force to the cabin, especially with Kelly and Pablo still outside. But alas, we see it short out (which reminded me of the film projector in the first film) and it certainly was a relief for me. Seeing the hikers, I instantly thought, "Great, more Deadite fodder. They're totally gonna end up dead." They seemed nice, though. I guess we're going to have to see. All and all, a pretty good episode. Can't wait to check out the season finale.

I can say that they have the reels on the tape recorder reversed left to right.
But does indeed look like the same reels, certainly the same recorder.

Ruby WROTE the Necronomicon???? How, she's either the daughter of the professor, somehow out of time, or the daughter is possessed by the author who wrote the book a long time ago. Curious where this is going to go at this point.

Ruby WROTE the Necronomicon???? How, she's either the daughter of the professor, somehow out of time, or the daughter is possessed by the author who wrote the book a long time ago. Curious where this is going to go at this point.

My guess is that she's not related to the late Knowby family, and just used the name so to be able to get on track with getting to Ash (she knew the police officer was going to help Ash, so she tried use the name and story to draw sympathy in order to get to Ash and the book, from what I reckon). And when she said she's the one who wrote the book, I wouldn't be surprised if she somehow used the power of the book to stay forever the same age (or somehow possessed a recently deceased body and has been jumping from one body to the next for centuries, can't leave that out that possibility).

Seeing the book talk was a surprised. And seeing the flesh from the book embedding itself on poo Pablo was horrifying to say the least. I'd hate to see him end up having to be killed by Ash. Next Saturday is the season finale, and the crap is about to hit the fan big time if I had to guess. I just hope Ash and company can make it through this situation with no more of their group dying.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back