Armorsmith - New Costume Design/Building Tool

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Dancin_Fool, May 27, 2015.

1. Dancin_Fool

Dancin_Fool Well-Known Member

I've been developing a new application to aid in building costumes. I've been working on it for the last year or so and it's beginning to enter alpha.

I actually had the idea for this tool many many years ago. I kind of put the idea on the back burner though after I discovered Pepakura Designer. After using Pep for a few years though I started to get the itch to work on the tool again. There were just a lot of things about Pep that kind of bugged me. Some of them small like the lack of non-uniform scale. Some of them bigger, like not being able to load in multiple parts to see how those parts scaled next to one another.

With all these things in mind I set out to design a tool that was tailored more towards building costumes and try to solve some of these problems that were bugging me.

So here I am, one year later with a tool that has some of the initial functionality I was looking for. Some of the features in the current tool are:
    *Loading in multiple PDO files.
    *Loading in and unfold 3d model files.
    *Save out multiple parts in a "Costume" file.
    *Tools to translate, rotate, and cut/join unfolded patterns.
    *Uniform and non uniform scale.
    *Printing of the unfolded patterns.

This is some of the core functionality in place right now. Not a whole lot more than what's available in Pep but I plan on expanding this out a lot over the next year.

I posted up a video on Youtube going over some of the initial functionality:

In the next alpha release, the two big features that I'm hoping to get in are:
    *A customizable mannequin, basically a dummy with adjustable limbs that you'll be able to mount parts on to help make scaling easier.
    *3D Editing, first pass at a set of tools for editing the 3d models inside the tool. Nice if you want to make some simple edits to the model without disrupting your unfold too much.

So here's a link to the first alpha build for anyone that would like to try it out. Please remember that it is an alpha build, there will be bugs and crashes. The demo's only really been tested on Windows 7. There was a crash on startup on other version of windows that I believe I've resolved but I haven't gotten confirmation yet.

*Edit* - Updating to the latest build.
    Armorsmith_Alpha_0_4_0
    Armorsmith_Alpha_Nightly.zip

If this in the wrong spot mods, feel free to move it. It wasn't really an off topic conversation, but it's not exactly a costume either.

*Edit* Adding some screenshots from a recent build.
    View attachment 487677 View attachment 487676

*Edit* Adding latest dev video

*Edit* Adding a screenshot from the latest build.
    11703072_447513635428294_3857207997656113359_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    gothic, George, STEALTH and 8 others like this.
  2. madmax

madmax Sr Member

i've downloaded ,i'll let you know how it works when i find some time..Thanks

3. Dancin_Fool

Thanks for giving it a try, I'd love any feedback you can provide.

4. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

I have a few gripes with pep designer also.

Non uniform scale, terrible render lighting, not displaying an "actual" print area (minus margin ofc). Another "bug" it seems to have is when you scale an entire model (costume/outfit) and take note of the scale number, if you apply that same scale number to a single part (in a seperate file), it will not match when printed and built. The lag when viewing a complex model with edge numbers displayed, the edge numbers overlap because they are a set scale but the edge numbers could be vector and scale appropriately etc. It will display a grid, but no option for a ruler (not counting the measurement tool, but an actual ruler on the side and bottom like photoshop).

These are in no particular order, just annoyances. Now as for your planned upgrades, have you seen an application called "make human"? http://www.makehuman.org/ This has a mannequin which you can change the scale of, with several customisable options. Perhaps this may give you a bit of a shortcut programmingwise, because it is open source.

George likes this.
  5. kialna

kialna Sr Member

interesting, I'll give it a go as well!

6. Dancin_Fool

Thanks Kialna!

Hey Blue2K, what do you mean about displaying the "actual" print area? I agree with you that scaling is just a mess in Pep Designer. I think part of the problem is that it's not clear what the scaling represents. Thanks for all the great points, I'll add some of that to my task list!

I have seen MakeHuman, my plan is to have a bit of a simplified version of their interface. I think they have a bit more control than what's actually needed for my application. I worked on an application called Virtual Me while I was at EA which was very similar to MakeHuman, though it never really saw the light of day outside of Europe.

7. collinE83

collinE83 Well-Known Member

Wow. I don't know if everyone will appreciate the work you've put into doing this. It's a relatively small community with a specific application and you would definitely not see an immediate monetary return on all the work, so thank you. Hopefully we can see this through to full release because you have some great improvements planned.

I'd be happy to support this and hope this can improve this hobby.

8. Dancin_Fool

Thanks CollinE83, it's definitely a bit of a labor of love. My plan is to add support for designing sewing patterns as well to hopefully expand it into all aspects of costume building and make a general purpose tool for the cosplay community. I was actually surprised when I started looking around at the tools for designing sewing patterns. There's really not much out there, and the interfaces are pretty primitive.

I found when I made my Captain America costume that there was actually a fair bit of overlap between designing sewing patterns and designing a good pep file.

George and milieux like this.
  9. RoboTrap

RoboTrap Member

Downloaded, and will try out when I get the chance!

This suggestion might only come about because of recent troubles I've had, but how difficult would it be incorporate some type of "Foam/Cloth Unfold Mode" that would allow for some tolerance during unfolds before faces split? Perhaps even a user-set number, where 0 would represent the standard paper/cardstock tolerances, i.e. none at all, with higher settings giving more leeway in unfolds at the cost of accuracy to the original file...

I haven't the slightest what would be involved in doing that, but it's something I've wanted to see. :)

10. Dancin_Fool

Yes definitely! There was a paper from siggraph from a few years ago that went over unwrapping a model to create plushie toys that has a lot of overlap with generating patterns for foam builds. It's in my task list to take a shot at implementing it as a feature.

11. Yrien

Yrien Well-Known Member

This sounds like a brilliant idea, and I can't wait to try it. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend. I'm especially excited about the ability to design fabric patterns, because I have no skill/knowledge in that area.

12. abwchris

abwchris Active Member

Once this gets up and running completely it could be a game changer for those who work primarily in foam. Good work! Will download and test shortly.

13. stigmorgan

stigmorgan Sr Member

How about being able to change a single dimension or even stretch out a section? For instance my arkham knight shin fits around my calf perfectly but the whole thing is 100mm too short, if I scale it up so it is the right length then the whole thing becomes ridiculously massive.

14. Dancin_Fool

Hey Stigmorgan, I have been thinking about adding something similar but I haven't figured out how to expose the UI for it. Some kind of weighted scale. I was thinking about maybe having a 3 axis stick that you'd paint a white to black gradient on so you could control exactly what scales. Or maybe something like 3ds max's FFD cages where it generates a cage around the model and you can manipulate points on the cage to only scale specific parts.

15. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

I like to minimise paper wastage when laying out a pattern. My pattern pieces are always very close together. I sometimes have to split a piece to put it on a separate piece of paper because I have run out of space on the virtual A4 display. After printing, even with the margin set to minimum, I see I could have left the piece intact and not split it. If that makes sense to you? This doesn't really matter for large intact areas, but its pretty annoying for lots of small pieces. Here is an example of how I lay out a pattern: pepsample.jpg

Thank you for considering my points. I hope it helps create a polished product.

People come in all different shapes and sizes, I would recommend against skimping on body type and height options.

16. Diegator

Diegator Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is great! Definitely fulfilling a great need, for those of us that are more versed in 3D modeling than free hand pattern making.
    This is by no means a suggestion of something you should look into or try to implement in your build, but one of my long time modeling wishes is to be able to start off with a scaled mannequin, like you're implementing, define an offset distance from the mannequin (to simulate a layer of clothing) and then draw seam lines or split lines directly onto it, and of course unfolding the resulting model. So basically draping a pattern over a dress form... digitally.
    Anyway, your tool looks great so far! I'll give it a spin when I get home... there's some gray fox models I've been meaning to scale/unfold as of late.

17. Dancin_Fool

Ahhh I see now, even though you have your margins essentially turned off, after printing there's still some space left on the paper? I can definitely investigate this.

Thank you for the points and suggestions!

Don't worry I'll try to include all the options to represent most body types. I more meant the bit of an obtuse interface MakeHuman has where it exposes everything, like "left lower forearm scaleX", "left lower forearm scale Y"...etc. I'd prefer to keep it simpler like with a single forearm radius value, you know like more what you would give a tailor when they ask for your measurements. That being said it'll take some time to get there. My first pass implementation is likely to just have basic limb and height scaling.

18. Dancin_Fool

Thanks Diegator!

I'd definitely like to get things to that kind of a point. That was one thing that really surprised me about other sewing pattern software was none of them seemed to have any 3d capabilities. No previews, no cloth simulation, just mostly barebones drafting software that had terms more in line with sewing.

19. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with this application? http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/

20. Dancin_Fool

No I never came across that one! This looks fantastically simple to use. I'll definitely be bookmarking this one for feature ideas. Thanks for posting it.

21. blue2k

blue2k Well-Known Member

No problem. It might have some features you can replicate or improve upon. 3D clothing meshes can also be laid out 2D, I surmise this could also be transferred to a 2D cloth pattern.

Utri likes this.
  22. Isildur

Isildur New Member

I have windows 8 and the program won't open. Thank you for spending your time on helping the community.

23. Dancin_Fool

Thanks for letting me know Isildur. If you have a few minutes do you mind posting or PMing me the last 5 lines in logfile.txt. You can find it in the same folder as the executable.

24. Dancin_Fool

The build should be working on Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 now. I also added a link to a nightly build that I'll try to upload with a stable build each night.

25. RA24_4_Me

RA24_4_Me Active Member

Excited to try it, downloaded it, tried to run it and get this error.

Untitled.jpg

edit: if anyone else has this error, upgrade your directx to fix it. I had another error afterwards, which was solved by updating microsoft visual C++. Works great now though.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  26. Dancin_Fool

Thanks! That's right it needs the visual studio 2010 redist and the latest directx. I need to work on getting an installer set up that will automate that. Sometimes that stuff will already be installed from games.

27. RA24_4_Me

RA24_4_Me Active Member

It probably would have been on my machine already but I just installed a new hard drive so havent gotten everything setup yet. It worked out in this case though! Thanks for the great software, I look forward to seeing what the future brings.

Im not sure if this is intended, but I did open up a file that was done for foam, it automatically added tabs to it like a paper file would have when I opened it in armorsmith, those tabs arent on the file in pep designer/viewer.

28. Dancin_Fool

Thanks! As for the foam file, it's because some foam files have the tabs set up as zero length, and some foam files have a flag in the settings that hides the tabs. I handle the ones with zero length but I haven't hooked up the hide tabs flag yet. It's on my list though. Thanks for the feedback!

RA24_4_Me likes this.
  29. Goodwolf

Goodwolf Sr Member

As someone who has very little freehand drawing skills but an interest in pattern drafting, I think this has so much potential. I'll be watching this closely.

30. simonkage

simonkage Active Member

What we realy need is a simple trim outer edge tool which makes a smooth curve interpolated through the mesh points. Wont show on the mesh, but it will work fine on the 2d pattern.

31. MarkD90

MarkD90 New Member

This looks really really helpful. Downloaded and looking forward to plying around with it.

Thanks!

Mark

32. Dancin_Fool

I got the first implementation for textured PDO's working last night. The textures are set on a per pattern basis right now so it has some bugs if there's multiple textures on a pattern. I also replaced the UI in the lower right corner of the screen with a property grid to make it easier to add new settings per workspace. You can check out the changes in the nightly build.

I'm now working on a super first pass at the mannequin/dummy settings. I'm also working on getting some initial 3d editing tools in, hoping to get in at least translation of verts/edges/faces for this months alpha build.

Here's a couple screenshots of the Hulkbuster armor inside the tool, thought it was a good model to showcase the texturing.

11289393_427974617382196_7438112642349990001_o.jpg 10623576_427974614048863_3225609577305425078_o.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion on the edge smoothing for the patterns Simonkage, that'd be a great feature that could layer on top of the patterns.

Utri, RacerMachX and collinE83 like this.
  33. Dancin_Fool

A couple of new screenshots from my Armorsmith build. I'm aiming to have the next alpha release on the 26th.

Capture14.jpg

In the first screenshot, showing off the first pass at mesh editing. I've got vertex, edge, and face selection with a translate tool using a 3 axis gizmo. Right now the gizmo is just 3 boxes for each of the axis. I also need to keep the sizing of the gizmo in screenspace.

capture15.jpg

In the second screenshot, I've got a few pieces of the Master chief, a notoriously difficult costume to get scaled right. You can really see the difference in the size of the parts at their default scales. I have a first pass at just the dummy height scaling working, no limb scaling yet. I'm hoping to get part mounting on the dummy for next week's Alpha build though.

Utri and stigmorgan like this.
  34. RA24_4_Me

RA24_4_Me Active Member

Looking great!

35. Dancin_Fool

I released another updated alpha build over the weekend.

The big addition to the tool is the dummy that you can attach costume parts to. Now you can select a bone or joint on the dummy and attach a costume part to it. This way you can see exactly what your assembled costume will look like and how the parts need to be scaled. Currently only the dummy's height can be adjusted but I will be adding more controls in the future.

I also fleshed out my pdo loading code a bit more thanks to some additional specs I received from user Imkold on here.

Check out the latest build here:
    https://dl.orangedox.com/BGppuZp31xwJLeqiaT/Armorsmith_Alpha_0_2_4.zip

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    Utri, RacerMachX and stigmorgan like this.
  36. Utri

Utri Active Member

This looks like it could definitely be a valuable tool very soon!

This is an incredible contribution to the community, so thank you!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

37. imkold

imkold New Member

The pdo loading works much better now, good work :)

38. Shadeling

Shadeling Well-Known Member

WOW... I cant wait to give this one a go

39. Dancin_Fool

Thanks! Couldn't have done it without your spec sheet. I found lots of little bugs in my code.

40. Dancin_Fool

I released another alpha build of Armorsmith last Friday.

For anyone who hasn't seen this tool before it's essentially a replacement for pepakura geared more towards building costumes. There were some big changes in this new release. I moved a lot of the tools to a circular menu that's accessed via right click when anythings selected. It tailors the menu to the tools available for the current selection. Another big change was the addition of an installer. There were a few hiccups getting this working over the weekend but I think all the bumps have been ironed out.

Here's a list of some of the changes from the new release:
    *Huge UI overhaul
    *Deleting of attachments
    *Saveing of attached parts.
    *FIx a bug with zoom all not working properly.
    *Get rid of a lot of the auto zooming, found it annoying in practice.
    *Add a title bar to the property grid.
    *Save margin settings.
    *Allow importing of multiple files.
    *FInished up the installer.
    *Add undo/redo for translation and rotation of attached parts.
    *Added context menu on right click
    *Removed right click camera controls

I'd love to hear any feedback you guys have about the latest release.

11703072_447513635428294_3857207997656113359_n.jpg

https://dl.orangedox.com/yBMUf1HK2eyrNAwmUY/armorsmith_0_4_0_setup.exe

Zlurpo and Utri like this.
  41. Utri

Utri Active Member

Awesome! You're work is really valuable to the community!

Also chief's feet look comically large in your screenshot lol

42. Dancin_Fool

Thank you! Hahah the chief's feet are a perfect example of what happens if you don't do any scaling! Armorsmith makes it so much easier to catch problems like that.

43. foofad

foofad New Member

Hey, I hope you're still working on this! I have a feature request.

I'd like to use this for patterning out metal armor for smithing. However, the papercraft-based output is not very helpful for that. What would be incredible is being able to join certain faces together (rather than having things split up quite as much as they are) in the software, and then output that entire face as a vector file. From there, people who have plotters can use the plotter to draw the pattern and then work from there.

Or, for a different approach to tackling the same problem, being able to unwrap a very large portion of a model (for example the entirety of a medieval breastplate) at once would be best. Taking a complicated 3d shape and making one contiguous 2d shape from it. Medieval armor is not nearly as complex in terms of surface adornments as scifi armor reproductions are, so this works pretty well.

I hope that makes some kind of sense. I can draw you a picture if it doesn't!

Utri likes this.
  44. Dancin_Fool

I am still working on the tool. I've been busy lately with Halloween so I haven't released any new builds.

I definitely understand what you mean, and I will have a look at what I can do. In games when we do a texture unwrap there's a tolerance parameter which allows you to specify how much distortion/stretch the UV's get during the unwrap. I could look at adding a similar parameter for unfolding to give you more of what you're looking for.

I'm also starting to work on the fabric pattern tools which have a lot of overlap in what you're looking for I think. Keep an eye out for future releases. I'm hoping to get another two alpha builds out before the New Year.

Utri and Zlurpo like this.
  45. Utri

Utri Active Member

Man, I wish I knew computers so I could help with this. Seems like such a valuable tool!

46. Dancin_Fool

Thanks Utri

I released another stable build last week, https://dl.orangedox.com/oGSpxVQfktvFusKbpS/Armorsmith_Stable.zip

This will likely be the last build for a little while. I'm completely reworking the flow based on all the feedback I've collected over the course of the Alpha. The next build will be the first Beta and I'm hoping to have it out sometime in January.

Radigast, Utri and Gryndar like this.
  47. ntegra8d

ntegra8d New Member

I downloaded it and opened it, it opens a new window and it says Armorsmith at the top of the window, but that's it, the window is black and nothing happens... perhaps I am missing a necessary program as you had mentioned before in this thread.

Utri likes this.
  48. Dancin_Fool

Hi ntegra8d, thanks for giving it a try! If you have time can you answer the following questions, it will help me figure out what the issue might be.

Did you download the latest version? https://dl.orangedox.com/oGSpxVQfktvFusKbpS/Armorsmith_Stable.zip
    Did the installer run without any problems? Did it install DirectX?
    What kind of video card do you have and what operating system are you running?

49. ntegra8d

ntegra8d New Member

I downloaded the alpha version by mistake, I just downloaded the most recent one and I as soon as I open it, error message ""Armorsmith has stopped working, windows is looking for a solution." Then it forces me to close the program.
    -The installer worked like a charm
    -I am running windows 7 64-bit Op Sys.
    -Intel(R) HD Graphics video card
    -System Log registers installation of DirectX9
    Do you need any other information?

50. jayjayn

jayjayn Well-Known Member

sweet had to search for this program from your youtube vids, you should definitely link the program on your youtube videos when you use it. So is this the latest versions here? Can't wait to try it at home, the scaling to the body is a must!