Grapple Gun
attachment.php

Batclaw
attachment.php

AC Remote Electrical Charge Gun
attachment.php

Arkham City Batclaw
attachment.php

Again the idea of a detachable specialty front section attachment that connects to a hand reel come directly from the 89 gun.

Nick

Hey Matt

You didn't see the concept art? I guess you bought the standard edition of Arkham city. Never Mind Nick's dead on target to what I'm referring to, and has done a good job with posting the images on screen.

Let us know what you think.

Yup, saw the concept art, and it is just that: concept art. I'm using as my primary reference objects and skins that were extracted directly from the game, so I'm pretty sure they are accurate.

I'm glad someone was able to post some good reference to help you guys in your build. Most of this reference is new to me, as my search stopped once I found the extracts from the game.

It looks to me like there are some differences between the basic grapple gun in gameplay vs. cut scene. Not a big deal really, and the differences are subtle. I'm not too worried about it.

In one of the shots the semi circle seems to be lit up yellow, do you have any plans on adding lights to the model?

Yup, looks like it does light up, and no, I don't plan on doing that.

I posted about a similar topic earlier in this thread. To summarize, I don't want to make the project overly ambitious, as that usually ends up killing it. Also, I personally don't see the advantage of building in functionality like that which will only come into play on a very rare occasion. I'd rather just get it finished :)

Speaking of which, I got a lot of work done tonight on the gun, and filmed a good little segment for the next episode where i walk you through the process of doing a "bondo squish," which is an extremely handy process to have in your "tool kit" during builds.

Also, I realized last night that I'm getting to a point where I'm just noodling it, which could easily go on forever if I let it. I think I just need to put a cap on how long I'm willing to spend sanding and puttying the minor flaws, and just move ahead. At this point, I just need to build the two barrels, some connecting pieces, and do finishing work on the whole gun.

Getting very close!

I think the ingame graphics are the same models used in the cutscenes.

Instead what I think may be causing variation is that many of the images found online are actually early renders used for promotional materials and stuff often gets changed before the games final release.

Like you said, it's not a big deal but it's interesting!

Nick

Nick, you may indeed be right, though I have long ago given up trying to reconcile all of the different reference images. For the most part, they are all the same, but there are some tiny detail parts that vary from shot to shot. Not a big deal, and as mentioned, I will be sticking with the extracts from the game as the final word in reference.

I'm enjoying the videos and while the build is great. I'm more interested in seeing the tools and techniques your using, like how you formed up the styrene corners using the block, or your use of the calipers on the small detail parts. I've already added several tools to my list. While it may seem old hat to some of you, the tips on building parts that can apply to future projects are what I appreciate the most!

IJ, I definitely appreciate the feedback, and I think the next video will hopefully make for a decent reply. I'll try to make a better habit of documenting more detailed stuff, but still speed through the repetitive parts.

I was going to suggest seeing if the Arkham batman figure came with the grapple gun but it would be too little to be a good reference source.

Matt, fantastic video! I've worked with bondo and fiberglass for the last 3 years and never knew of this technique, I will most definitely be useing it in the future. Thank you and keep up the phenominal work.

Wow! That is really great feedback guys, and I appreciate it greatly :) thank you kindly :)

I'm getting to the point on the build where it's almost time to mold, and there will be a two part mold, so that will take up a video or two. I'll be doing casting, and then finishing, so there's still plenty of opportunities to do a few more tutorial style videos.

Here's the latest one:

17 - Batman Arkham City / Arkham Asylum Grapple Gun Prop Build - YouTube

This one is much more of a tutorial than the previous videos. Please let me know what you think.

Great video. Informative, and yet not long and drawn out. Very nice...maybe one of the best of the series so far. :thumbsup

Only one technical comment...at about 2:13 you have text at the top of the vid. Unfortunately, the RPF logo is blocking part of it. Something to be on the lookout for in future videos.

Only one technical comment...at about 2:13 you have text at the top of the vid. Unfortunately, the RPF logo is blocking part of it. Something to be on the lookout for in future videos.

I JUST noticed that :( During editing, I end up watching the thing like fifty thousand times, and by the time I do a render, I'm too bored with it to watch it ONE LAST TIME before uploading it. I guess I learned my lesson this time :)

Very cool build Matt! Love that your documenting it as you go. Would love to see more of these in the future! The one thing I was wondering from the get go though, is why not make a couple waste molds where possible? Like the discs on either side of the gun or anything you find you have to do twice or more for the piece. Why not do one, get it perfect and make a little silicone waste mold to make copies in resin and then add those to the gun body? Is it purely to save the cost of the rubber?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back