Arkham Asylum/City Grapple Gun VIDEO Build - Progress pic added

Jon, thanks for the kind words, and welcome to the insanity :)

All of the reference material I have, I found online. I'll try to crop a pic or two and post them here for you to check out. But don't let that stop you from using your google magic to dig up some stuff of your own.

Matt,

Good job with it so far. One thing that occurred to me you may wish to try while its still in development. Mechanical functions. For instance inside those discs you could place some kind of thick rod to join both sides. Then use it as a spool template so you can add a line reel to it. As for the mechanics side of it, take apart an old measuring tape and see how the tape coils inside it, perhaps you can do the same with the line reel on the gun.

It all sounds rather like a longshot I know, but it never hurts to add extra flav to the meal, if you get my meaning

Getting closer to this-

1917344-247_bats_grapple.jpg

Nick

Ok, you know what? This stinks. This has got to be one of the worst builds I have ever had the displeasure to witness. I mean this is a fake as the name Matt Munson. Where does he come off with this horrible piece of sh....what? Hu? Oh. This isn't Bizarro World?

Good job Matt :)

Matt,

Good job with it so far. One thing that occurred to me you may wish to try while its still in development. Mechanical functions. For instance inside those discs you could place some kind of thick rod to join both sides. Then use it as a spool template so you can add a line reel to it. As for the mechanics side of it, take apart an old measuring tape and see how the tape coils inside it, perhaps you can do the same with the line reel on the gun.

It all sounds rather like a longshot I know, but it never hurts to add extra flav to the meal, if you get my meaning

Hey Trace! I originally thought of doing something like that, but then I realized I was getting overly ambitious. I personally have seen many of my projects fail simply because they get too grandiose in their goals. So I decided ahead of time to keep this build static.

I personally am one of those collectors who is not overly fascinated by "working" props, unless they light up. I always get freaked out when people go MENTAL over a prop release that doesn't have a working trigger, for example. in my mind, the prop is going to spend 99.999999% of its life either sitting in a box, or possibly in a display case. It will maybe be in your hands a dozen or so times in its life. For me, that's not worth paying a premium for.

Similarly, for the time and effort it would take to add any functionality to this particular build, it just won't provide a good enough return. And could even end up killing the project in the process.

Matt, you know these videos are like crack. As soon as I've gotten my fix, I need another! :lol

BTW...how's the foot doing? I saw you mentioned the trouble it was giving you the other day. Is it a confirmed break, and do you have a boot/walking cast on it?

You are too kind sir! I'm glad they are addictive :)

The foot is indeed broken, and a number of my toes are pretty smashed. I have a walking boot that I use whenever I leave the house. It's been about 2 weeks now since it's happened, and for the most part, as long as I avoid putting pressure on my foot, it's totally manageable. Just an inconvenience really.

I've gotten another couple of hours of work in on the gun today, but nothing really to show. It's just clean up of very minor details, dents, etc. I'll probably film some of this work, just so you can see what I'm talking about.

Geez Matt. What a clean build! I WISH I had that time to put into projects. My kods allow me about 2 hours a week to build things.

Last edited:
Nick, it's weird, every capture i see of this piece, it looks different. How unusual for a prop!!! :lol

After recently pulling the models out of the game with textures, i think the reason could be that in addition different versions in cutscenes (like the one a few posts up), the game has 3 different versions of the grapple gun itself.

Looks great so far. I have the videos bookmarked. Sadly I could have warned you about the router for dremel. We had one and we have the shaper/router table and it's not that great either.

Hey Trace! I originally thought of doing something like that, but then I realized I was getting overly ambitious. I personally have seen many of my projects fail simply because they get too grandiose in their goals. So I decided ahead of time to keep this build static.

I personally am one of those collectors who is not overly fascinated by "working" props, unless they light up. I always get freaked out when people go MENTAL over a prop release that doesn't have a working trigger, for example. in my mind, the prop is going to spend 99.999999% of its life either sitting in a box, or possibly in a display case. It will maybe be in your hands a dozen or so times in its life. For me, that's not worth paying a premium for.

Similarly, for the time and effort it would take to add any functionality to this particular build, it just won't provide a good enough return. And could even end up killing the project in the process.

A fair call. Better to start modestly and work your way up slowly, rather than rush in and get over your head.

One thing though did you see the new concept art on the bat claw. Its just a hook inserted inside the barrel. I always wondered why didn't they do this in the previous arkham game instead of adding those bulky panels on the sides of the gun.

It dosen't have to fire, but it would look even nicer, not to mention have a better resemblance with your other 1989 gun. Up to you though, I want to see this finished either way what ever happens.

I haven't seen the concept art you're talking about, but I'll look around. Right now I'm just trying to focus on getting the main parts finished. I've got a few more videos to make too.

I think the next one is going to be all about putty!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back