Arc reactor dimensions

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all
Im hoping the knowledgeable and generous people here can help me. Been google searching and reading here but cant seem to find measurements for the Arc Reactor from Iron Man. Any dimensions would help. Really need the clear ring dimensions. Diameter and thickness. toying with the idea of using it for halloween. thanks

Is this for the Mark 1 Arc reactor?
if so:
Inside dia: 59mm
Outside dia: 71
Thickness: 7.6mm
(dimensions from the one I built, may not be 100% accurate but im sure its pretty close)

Really nice. Thanks for the measurements. Any of those clear rings to spare?
i do, however ive already began
to mark them out for the retainer slots, i use 8 retainers instead of 12 (12 being more movie accurate) the 8 makes the LEDS brighter and no light spots.

- - - Updated - - -

@J Scorn, what did you make the clear ring out of?

its polyester resin, the full detains of the brand etc are on my page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hybridconzeptscom/371487146266432?ref=hl

its polyester resin, the full detains of the brand etc are on my page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hybridconzeptscom/371487146266432?ref=hl

I just liked your FB page. Are you able to make them bubble free? If so, are you using a pressure pot or vacuum chamber? I can now make bubble free elastomer parts with my vac chamber and I want to have another go at polyester resins.

I first had started playing with the stuff back in 2006 when I was attempting to make water clear prisms. I got a heap of mixed results where I was able to mix and pour a 99% bubble free prism without the aid of vacuum or pressure - just carefully mixed and poured. Most however had heaps of bubbles and had to be thrown out.

I just liked your FB page. Are you able to make them bubble free? If so, are you using a pressure pot or vacuum chamber? I can now make bubble free elastomer parts with my vac chamber and I want to have another go at polyester resins.

I first had started playing with the stuff back in 2006 when I was attempting to make water clear prisms. I got a heap of mixed results where I was able to mix and pour a 99% bubble free prism without the aid of vacuum or pressure - just carefully mixed and poured. Most however had heaps of bubbles and had to be thrown out.

these are bubble free, but they are buffed and frosted to diffract the light to reduce light spots from the LEDS otherwise it wont look like a continuous ring of light.

these are bubble free, but they are buffed and frosted to diffract the light to reduce light spots from the LEDS otherwise it wont look like a continuous ring of light.
Awesome! Did you use Vacuum or Pressure to get bubble free or is this mixing and pour technique? This is my 2nd Vac Chamber and I am really only now getting the hang of it. The last time I ran some polyester resin through the first vac chamber I owned was 2006. It went off in the pot. TThe exothermic reaction kicked in and vacuum must have accelerated that.

From those failures, I taught myself how to mix and pour pretty much bubble free without the chamber.

I have to use vacuum for the elastomer and can because it does not heat up the way the poly does.

I have a hobby lobby and a Michaels near me. Going to see if they have clear arcrylic in a liquid that I can make a clear ring myself. Is it better to sand the ring to diffuse the light? Im going to use the leds from a couple of old mini flashlights i have here.

Awesome! Did you use Vacuum or Pressure to get bubble free or is this mixing and pour technique? This is my 2nd Vac Chamber and I am really only now getting the hang of it. The last time I ran some polyester resin through the first vac chamber I owned was 2006. It went off in the pot. TThe exothermic reaction kicked in and vacuum must have accelerated that.

From those failures, I taught myself how to mix and pour pretty much bubble free without the chamber.

the last part of your statement ' I taught myself how to mix and pour pretty much bubble free without the chamber. ' is what i do, however have you ever tried vibrating the mold with an off set motor. it shakes the bubbles free. the low vibrations means nothing will spill.

I've heard about tapping the sides as well. Never really done that. The eleastomer I use is think like honey, so unless the bubbles are pulled with a vacuum, they ain't moving. I am curious about the polyurethane though. Lots of stuff I would like to make from that.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412026324.750993.jpg

I made mine out of 2 layers of 1/4" plexiglass that I glued together and machined on my lathe. I then sanded it with very fine sand paper and used an automotive headlight restoring kit to polish it back to crystal clear with no bubbles at all; leaving it with no visual appearance of it being two pieces.

I Then glued the numerous h/o leds in the same locations that the transformers would be and then wrapped foil around the top side, which I would then mount the transformers on too of. That way the windings of the magnet wire would hide the foil and eliminate any light from peaking through; as well as reflecting the light off the foil through the plexiglass which results in a nice uniform glow without being able to see where the light is coming from.

I hope this tip helps you and anyone else in need, and I hope to see more progress on your build. Keep up the good work!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412026924.250927.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back