Appreciation for UC - Gimli's Walking Axe

PHArchivist

Master Member
I've posted about United Cutlery before. Or its knock offs. Or both...

Anyway, I never cease to be amazed by the quality of their prop replicas.

Having watched LOTR on Blu-Ray, I of course had to treat myself to another new toy (as my wife says, every time we watch the films, boxes tend to show up on the porch).

Today I received a genuine UC Gimli's Walking Axe.

LOVE it! The quality is superb, the packaging is wonderful. And its HEAVY! No wonder the little ****er got so tired running all over the place!

I am just enthralled. Are there any other licensed replica makers with such fine quality?

Pics later maybe...

Last edited:
Re: Love for UC - Gimli's Walking Axe

By the way, I got it from these guys:

LOTR Gimli Walking Axe

Highly recommended. I'd give them 4.5 on a scale of 5. Spoke with them personally on the phone. Sociable, courteous, and professional. Fairly fast shipping. GREAT pricing.

norm-42d867d5b9e36-Lord+of+the+Rings+%282001%29.jpeg
:thumbsup

FB

Cool... Thanks FB.

I've got most of the swords from the primary characters already (Strider's, Anduril, Glamdring, etc.), but had nothing from the dwarf world. So went with the walking axe, Very happy with it.

I think you'd greatly enjoy the bearded axe as well, very good look to it. As a friend said, it'd look completely perfect mounted on the wall of a medieval castle.

A05-UC2628.jpg

I think you'd greatly enjoy the bearded axe as well, very good look to it. As a friend said, it'd look completely perfect mounted on the wall of a medieval castle.

Strongly thinking about it. And the vendor I got the walking axe has it in stock.

I went with the walking axe because it sees much more screen time, plus it was less expensive. May still get the bearded axe though.

Prop Collector took my line lol :p

Very nice PH! Congrats on the new addition!

It's too bad I missed out on some of UC's pieces when they were still making LOTR replicas; would've loved Sauron's helm and gauntlet...

Prop Collector took my line lol :p

Very nice PH! Congrats on the new addition!

It's too bad I missed out on some of UC's pieces when they were still making LOTR replicas; would've loved Sauron's helm and gauntlet...

I've got the gauntlet, but would love the helm. The Witch King helm would be killer to have too. Someday I may scretch out a version of Witch King helm. A couple of guys here have had good success doing so...

how good is the wood on the handle? I always thought it would crack if it was used. It doesn't look stout enough.

FB

:lol Funny you should ask!

Like the moron I can be, I swung the thing over my head (in my vaulted-ceiling TV room), and miss judged its weight and length.

The (heavy) blade struck the floor, moderatley hard, and a small detail piece of wood popped off (easy fix - dab of CA and done). But no other apparent damage; handle shaft is fine.

Aesthetically, upon close inspection, it does have a manufactured look (what would we expect?); finish seems closer to paint than stain, and it may have what is artifical scoring/weathering. But these are minute issues.

Again, I'll try to take some hi-res images later if I don't succumb to being a lazy-ass

I've got the gauntlet, but would love the helm. The Witch King helm would be killer to have too. Someday I may scretch out a version of Witch King helm. A couple of guys here have had good success doing so...

I should have bought the gauntlet when UC were doing their clearance. I'm probably gong to break one of these days and get one from eBay! I know their wer some issues about accuracy and what not with it, but how do you like it PH?

And to be more on topic, do you have Gimli's helm? I bet it would look great with your new addition!

Last edited:
I've got saurons gauntlet, and love it. The ring on it is.. horrid. But the glove itself is awesome, and massive!

I also managed to score at the same time, Saurons helm. That thing is MASSIVE, and heavy as.. well.. you'd imagine. It seriously gives me a headache if I leave it on my head for more than a few minutes. (Not that I would ever put it on and just watch television.. ever.. ;p )

If you can get either of those, for under 400, i'd say go for it. I got a great deal on them and will sell a kidney before I sell them!

I also would suggest if you like those, the MR one ring. I know a lot of people didn't go for it, but it is a nice, smaller item. It's usually still found at under 200. And I have to say, it really puts a perfect finish on my Sauron collection. It's just amazing to see that light up effect in the dark, or even in bright light. The flickering of the flamed writing is just beautiful!

Alas, I have gimli's helm, but no axes yet. So yeah, i'm drooling here too! :)

Do they have an edge to them at all, or are they very badly rounded off?

The witchking helm is out there for like 200 bucks right now. I'm considering picking that up eventually too, but.. man, the sauron is so massive already, I just don't have room yet! Would love to get that too though.

The edge on the axe is pretty dull as you might expect. But the weathering effect of the blade itself is pretty good.

I did take some really good, brightly lit outdoor photos yesterday, but haven't downloaded them yet. Sorry!

My only (minor) issues with the prop in general are:

1.) I personally think it is "over-designed". But that is the way of LOTR. Its a slippery slope. All the fine detail on the props and wardrobe adds to the depth and layering of the films. Plus, just like weathering on a studio scale model, it may be over done intentionally. I suppose some designers feel that a lot of the detail may not "pop" or show on screen, so a slight over-designing may pan out OK.

2.) Many elements on the replica, particulary the adornments (those fancier pieces that - in my mind - constitue the over-designing) are way to new and clean. But again - that is to be expected with a replica of this nature. There is a great thread here where a member literally beat up the swords, and they look great. But I don't have the stomach for that!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back