Apollo A7L Moon Suit

Turn the fabric fingers inside out and sew them with the rubber finger tip down. Try to keep your stitches in a straight line and even, this way, when you right the globe, the fabric will be folded and the edge will be even. (- - - - - - not _ - _ - _ - )
The stitch line should be between an 1/8 and a 1/4 inch from the edge of the rubber tip. This way when you right the glove, the fingers will be protruding from the fabric the correct amount. Sew one, right the glove and compare to a photo of a real glove to see if your stitch line is in the correct location.

Here are the instructions for sewing them in.

20200716_143017.jpg

Got my fabric in for the snoopy cap so started on that today. Man is that power mesh fabric a PITA to work with! Got the base done up, need to add the pockets for the guts. Also working on the deerskin ear cups for this as well but the first attempt did not go well.

Thx for the feedback. I used the wrong thread to sew this up, oops!

No plans to do the helmet as of yet due to not having a vacuform table, nor experience working one.

The ear cups are coming along, deerskin is a little challenging to work with when it's this thin I found as it has some stretch. Also half of the foot on the machine I am working with is broken off and I'm waiting on a replacement.

20200722_151325.jpg

Oh the pain of failure!

20200810_095932.jpg

I should have gone with a thicker nylon material, this stuff is pretty thin and it's a PITA to work with. Somehow I must have cut incorrectly because my pattern is just fine, oh well back to the second try with brown thread too when I have time.

Wondering where everyone else is on their suits?

Made this account just to post this.

I looked through your CAD files and noticed the LEVA hard collar differed from a pic I saw. I think the latch assembly is attached to the red hard shell.

Source: Neil Armstrong's Flown Suit
delt.jpg

I've seen other pictures of the LEVA front collar, but up close they look kinda janky. I suspect some of the photos of the LEVA collar are actually of replacements, but I'm not sure.

Source: Apollo Lunar Extravehicular Visor Assembly
delt.jpg

Hey fellow A7-L obsessives! I've been cooking on this muse for a few years now, and as part of that I was trying to visualize how the understructure of the suit related to the outer layers we're most familiar with, the better to replicate something that doesn't have that floppy kid-in-dad's-suit look that can happen to space suit costumes sometimes. Anyway, I made these renders from the Smithsonian 3D scan data, and they've been helpful to me, so maybe they'll be helpful for you. Cheers!
17lx-tq.jpg
a7lx-f.jpg

20200917_135408.jpg

Here it where I am at currently, just one more leg bit tomorrow and the suit is wearable for Halloween. Still some small details to do but those are not "mission critical" and I'll finish them when I can. Looking forward to tackling the snoopy cap again next week.

20200917_135030.jpg

Sits pretty bulky on me, I need to go back once I am done construction and take a good 1"-2" off some of the outside seams to tighten things up. But better too loose than too tight! Also have to add in some foam shoulder padding to get that "squared off" look just right.

I wish I could do the helmet, I have no experience in vacuum forming. Maybe someday I'll get to it or hold out for a future run by someone else

The EVA boots? I was hoping to buy them off spacetoys but they jerked me around for five weeks and then failed to deliver. Thinking of doing IVA boots instead.

Yeah.....I haven't had much luck with spacetoys either. Contacted them a couple times about supplying visor only but never heard back from them.

View attachment 1349642

Here it where I am at currently, just one more leg bit tomorrow and the suit is wearable for Halloween. Still some small details to do but those are not "mission critical" and I'll finish them when I can. Looking forward to tackling the snoopy cap again next week.

View attachment 1349643

Sits pretty bulky on me, I need to go back once I am done construction and take a good 1"-2" off some of the outside seams to tighten things up. But better too loose than too tight! Also have to add in some foam shoulder padding to get that "squared off" look just right.
Looks great! I've been off the grid for a while. Coming back to see this is inspiring! Nice work. Hoping to get back on target the next few weeks. This is my fuel!

Thanks James!

My whole family was sick last week so had to take a breather on this, but literally just finished the last leg bit half hour ago and now I'm wearing the whole thing for an hour to make sure it's not too hot to wear it for extended periods. So far so good.

Thanks James!

My whole family was sick last week so had to take a breather on this, but literally just finished the last leg bit half hour ago and now I'm wearing the whole thing for an hour to make sure it's not too hot to wear it for extended periods. So far so good.
Hope everyone is on the mend. Scary times. Stay safe. I've been really busy and had to shelve my plans and purchases. I did get over to look at printers. I'd really like to get yours. Maybe this month. If not I will get the pieces printed. Don't want to postpone anymore. I converted the garage into a workstation so the only thing stopping now is the boss. I can't remember if its Sony maybe?? I'll have to look but its a t-shirt with a built in AC unit. Might be an option if you find it too toasty. It was only available in Japan last I saw it. That was a few months back. I wanted it for work as I tend to run on the warm side! I could lose a few. lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back