AP Stormtrooper Armor - The way it SHOULD be!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Art Andrews, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

In a world of mediocrity, poor craftsmanship, laziness and an interest only in the $$$, I saw something this weekend that really floored me. I was at a friend's house and he happened to have just received a set of "AP" armor and hadn't even taken it out of the shipping box. We lookeed through the armor together and I can't even begin to tell you how impressed I was with this seller and his product. We all know the source and we all know it is a bit idealized but for the first time, I was so impressed by the QUALITY of the pieces the fact that this is a less than perfectly accurate suit didn't bother me.

First, the armor was very neatly stacked and arranged in the box with no trash or debris from the rough trimming process. You might find it odd that I comment on something as simple as how the box was packed, but to me it just shows a level of quality and care by the maker. I have sadly received pieces from others that was simply dropped in the box apparently after being rough trimmed directly over the box. I am sad to say this has happened on more than one occasion.

Every piece of the armor was clean and neat and free from major blemishes. In fact, it was free from minor blemishes as well. The armor is absolutely immaculate. On many vacced pieces from others, I have seen lots of blemishes, clearly from trash on the mold because the bits of trash actually are still trapped in the backside of the blemish on the plastic. :( Seriously, how hard is it to clean the mold or the plastic before forming? Apparently it is not hard at all for "AP" as each piece is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Also each piece is roughtrimmed with a VERY wide arc around the formed piece. You can actually see where the mold ends and there is still extra plastic. You might be thinking this means more to trim off and while that is true, I would MUCH rather decide for myself where I want to trim my armor than have someone else decide for me. With the "AP" armor, the decision is totally yours. Sadly, with other sellers, I have seen where it was rough trimmed so sloppily that actual pieces of the prop itself were cut away.

Also, the "rough trim" is actually a very smooth and nice trim. Again, it seems like a minor thing, but to me it is another testament to care and quality on the part of the seller.

Each part is SUPER thick. Too thick to be accurate, yes, but if you wanted a set of DURABLE armor to troop in, this is it. The thickness seems suprisingly uniform across all the pieces. I am sure you are wondering about sharpness since the plastic is so thick. While I did think the suit was a bit too soft to be screen accurate, for the thickness of plastic used it is VERY sharp and perfectly usable. Again, sadly in comaparison, I have seen others use even thinner plastic and not turn out as sharp parts.... One area that really impressed me (again, not in terms of accuracy but quality) was the area under the chin on the helmet. Due to the nature of the pull on this part, it is almost always thin and prone to splitting. Not so on the "AP" helmet. Yes, I know the face was cleaned and idealized but it was still impressive to see a thick strong helmet that still has crisp details.

The armor also has a nice gloss finish, which is cool because it means no painting.

I do not know "AP" at all. Never have met or talked to him/them/whoever but I feel just from seeing his product, I now know something about him and would sure be glad to meet him some day and shake his hand. The quality, care, and craftsmanship seen in these parts is something ANY seller should be striving for. For someone who is NOT easily impressed, this armor really wowed me. :lol I don't even own a set and it is unlikely that I ever will, but I am proud to say I have seen one. If you have the opportunity, I encourage you to check a set out. We need more people like this.

2. DL 44 Blaster

DL 44 Blaster Sr Member

Over the past month's I have done a lot of behind the scenes research on "AP" and is the only clear choice for me.After many repeated emails,he is clear, concise,courteous and is obviously commited to making NOTHING but a quality peice...all of the major points you mention are why I see myself attaining an "AP" peice.

Steve

3. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sounds to good to be true :)

Would anyone please tell me who exactly this AP is, how I can get ahold of him and what I should expect for a set of trooper armor?
    ´
    If you don´t want to post here, please PM me...

Thanks in advance, Markus :)

4. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the info.

Always good to hear about great product AND customer service. :)

5. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Brak...thanks for the review. This along with other positive reviews, seals the deal for me.....

6. Art Andrews

I have never tallked to AP. I don't even know who he is or how to contact him, but after seeing his work, I would expect him to be nothing less than what you have described here.

7. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Thanks for the review. I've been waiting for this day. To bad I bought a GF in the meantime. AP would have had my business. :)

8. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The questions still remain unanswered...

Who is AP?
    How can I contact him?
    Does the armor come complete WITH helmet?
    What $ should I expect to spend for a set of unassambled armor?

Thanks, Markus :)

9. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

10. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

I seem to recall reading somewhere that AP outsources his vac-forming to a professional, established business, hence why the professionalism and quality is so high, and that AP is simply just the 'front'. I could be wrong, who knows.

11. jordankarr

jordankarr Well-Known Member

After reading this review I would also like to know about this "AP" Armor and how to get a hold of them.

Please drop me a PM with information if you have it.

Thank you.

jordankarr

12. Lukes Roommate

Lukes Roommate Well-Known Member

Could someone PM me as well please.

Ryan

13. Chewcy

Chewcy Well-Known Member

can I have the info too please?

Paul

14. womo68

womo68 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

me too....share the info please... :D

womo

15. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

Ditto. I'd love to see pics as well. ;)

16. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi BB,
    Your PM box is full and I'd like to know too. Are we talking about Authentic replicas of the stormtrooper Props?

Cheers,

Dave C

17. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

:lol :lol :lol

18. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

If anyone has any info on AP I would love to hear as well (PM please).

Anyone got pics?

Thanks in advance Chris.

19. well paid killer

well paid killer Well-Known Member

Suprising review Braks, I'd have to say it makes me a little curious. You're usually not to quick to indorse something especially of this nature. Even though you liked what you saw you personally wouldn't purchase a set though huh?

20. Art Andrews

Don't be suprised. I have given good reviews before, just not often as there isn't something worth singing praises about too often. And, you are absolutely right. I am not quick to praise anything and I do not want anyone to be mistaken about what I am saying here. I am by NO means saying this is the best or most accurate armor out there. We all know its pedigree and know that it isn't 100% screen accurate. While it may not be the most accurate, I think it very well may best the most well made. What I am "endorsing" is the quality and craftsmanship I saw first-hand. I was really impressed with it.

Would I buy one? If I were trooping all the time, I would seriously consider it. However, I think most everyone knows that I am not very keen on idealized props so I doubt I will ever own one myself but that doesn't stop me from recommending it to others who don't have the same hangups I do.

If you want 100% screen accurate, you can be like me and wait until hell freezes over cause from what I see, it just isn't going to happen, but if you want a REALLY REALLY nice set of armor that is based off the real stuff, this would be a GREAT set to get.

21. pmrjulio

pmrjulio New Member

I want some info about Mr or Ms AP.

Thanks.

22. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review... I have one in the mail and i absolutely cant wait.

for anyone wondering about AP, he is very professional and always responds to e-mails within minutes. I higly reccomend him. As with most other buyers of his armor, I own his helmet and its immaculate.

23. womo68

so looking at the posts, one should assume if you want hyper-accuracy, look elsewhere...but would it be safe to say that this is a small to big upgrade over an FX suit?

Thanks for the info,

womo

24. trooper70

trooper70 Active Member

It's a HUGE upgrade from an FX suit IMO

Cheers, Sean

25. kidryno

kidryno New Member

If someone could direct me to a contact or some photos that would be great.... I have an AFX suit I would like to upgrade.

26. Art Andrews

This can't even be compared to the FX suit. The FX suit is a sculpt and is HIGHLY inaccurate. Yes, it has the basic resemblance to a stormtrooper but anything with two legs, 2 arms and walks upright has a basic resemblance to a human... The AP suit IS based off a real suit, but has been cleaned up a bit and idealized, giving you more of what you might see in your head as to what a stormtrooper SHOULD be because the real suits were pretty rough. In some ways, for some people, this would be the PERFECT suit because it is the best of all worlds because it looks good and it fiarly accurate. It you want absolute accuracy, get back on the fence and bring a butt-pad cause you are going to be waiting....

27. Trallis

in my opinion it is still hyper accurate.. just not uber accurate. It still bears many of the same imperfections as the originals.

28. womo68

hehe hyper - uber...what's next... :p

Thanks for the info guys

womo

29. jeezycreezy

jeezycreezy Well-Known Member

Brakurate?

30. Star Wars Chick

Star Wars Chick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Now that actually means something as opposed to hyper and uber....

31. womo68

ultrahyperuber brakurate???

32. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Aaaargghh... Now I'm too curious not to post. Could someone please PM me with info regarding how to get in touch with AP?
    Thanks,
    Eric

33. Icedevil

Icedevil New Member

ok someone send me some info about AP too please?

34. Trallis

Is there any one person PMing all these people? I will but im afraid theyll have like 12 PMs

35. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

@ Brak´s Buddy

we already had PM contact on our both goal to reach accuracy sometimes, maybe never... so we both know that for a true enthusiast there will never be something like accuracy unless we both travel back in time and finally get into the filmused anh-suits and wink them to "move along..." :lol

but:

i´ve also seen enough of the AP armor to say, that i would also recommend it for trooping because of it´s quality and also for the nearby accurate parts of this armor.

i really like it because it has many parts i know from elsewhere... hmmm, can´t actually remember from where.... :rolleyes

36. Dean O

Dean O Well-Known Member

Yup you nailed it right there. What would make 99.9% of the populace happy makes Braks cringe. ;) Don't worry I still love ya man.

37. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

How about some pics? I think some comparisons would be nice say with a an FX and TE suit to show the differences in all.

38. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

yes, quit the BS, lets see some pics... moreso the bucket but anything would be nice.

39. TKBIG

TKBIG Active Member

Well, it's about time.....I'm glad to see this "good kind" of attention on here for AP.

Great stuff... :thumbsup :thumbsup

"Brakurate"
    :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Actually don't we all aspire to be "Brakurate" with all of our props?

40. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

i hope i´m allowed to post one picture...
    if not so, please PM me and i will delete it.
    ok then...
    [​IMG]

41. jeezycreezy

jeezycreezy Well-Known Member

AP armor is aka ABS-80 armor. There are a lot of pics in this thread only some people seem to have trouble viewing them.

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=100611

42. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

yeah, i was one of them...

43. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

[umm...

*, that doesnt look THAT idealized...

alot better than what i thought i was going to see.

doesnt have the tear, but the bulge in the right eye is there...

looks like you could make a good hero outa that... got the slight widness to the face etc. and the eye cutouts look hero-ish.

hmm.

i deffinately would give him my buisness before SDS.

the suit actually looks better than his, i like the way the leg seams meet up properly... although incorrect, looks like how they wanted them to look.

sweet, thanks for showing me jeezy...

44. Trallis

heres the comparison you asked for. my FX suit and his AP suit... unfortunatately i dont have on with my FX helmet on, thats actually an AP helmet im wearing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

45. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

Is this a TE 'approved' derivative? I don't want to get into another 'war' over pedigree. Just currious whence it came?

46. Trallis

sending you a PM jimbo

47. butcherbird

butcherbird New Member

I recommended the AP suit to a friend of mine but I'm not sure if he ever followed through and bought one. It looked great in the photos. I'd have gone for it if I didn't already have a TE and a Gino suit. Would be great to have as a trooping suit so I wouldn't be as nervous about damage as I'd be wearing the others.

-Todd

48. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

trallis please PM mr the same.

49. Spankuh

Spankuh Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I purchased an AP set back in October. I'm still in the process of building it. AP is a great guy to deal with - very communicative and open. He even overnighted my stuff to me after a production snafu delayed the shipping. Highly recommended.

HH

50. Art Andrews

TE "approved?" Oh dear... :unsure While I am sure if someone wanted to stir a pot they could find a way but to the best of my knowledge the molds used by AP were bought as legitimately as could be within this hobby's framework.