AP Stormtrooper Armor - The way it SHOULD be!

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
In a world of mediocrity, poor craftsmanship, laziness and an interest only in the $$$, I saw something this weekend that really floored me. I was at a friend's house and he happened to have just received a set of "AP" armor and hadn't even taken it out of the shipping box. We lookeed through the armor together and I can't even begin to tell you how impressed I was with this seller and his product. We all know the source and we all know it is a bit idealized but for the first time, I was so impressed by the QUALITY of the pieces the fact that this is a less than perfectly accurate suit didn't bother me.

First, the armor was very neatly stacked and arranged in the box with no trash or debris from the rough trimming process. You might find it odd that I comment on something as simple as how the box was packed, but to me it just shows a level of quality and care by the maker. I have sadly received pieces from others that was simply dropped in the box apparently after being rough trimmed directly over the box. I am sad to say this has happened on more than one occasion.

Every piece of the armor was clean and neat and free from major blemishes. In fact, it was free from minor blemishes as well. The armor is absolutely immaculate. On many vacced pieces from others, I have seen lots of blemishes, clearly from trash on the mold because the bits of trash actually are still trapped in the backside of the blemish on the plastic. :( Seriously, how hard is it to clean the mold or the plastic before forming? Apparently it is not hard at all for "AP" as each piece is absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Also each piece is roughtrimmed with a VERY wide arc around the formed piece. You can actually see where the mold ends and there is still extra plastic. You might be thinking this means more to trim off and while that is true, I would MUCH rather decide for myself where I want to trim my armor than have someone else decide for me. With the "AP" armor, the decision is totally yours. Sadly, with other sellers, I have seen where it was rough trimmed so sloppily that actual pieces of the prop itself were cut away.

Also, the "rough trim" is actually a very smooth and nice trim. Again, it seems like a minor thing, but to me it is another testament to care and quality on the part of the seller.

Each part is SUPER thick. Too thick to be accurate, yes, but if you wanted a set of DURABLE armor to troop in, this is it. The thickness seems suprisingly uniform across all the pieces. I am sure you are wondering about sharpness since the plastic is so thick. While I did think the suit was a bit too soft to be screen accurate, for the thickness of plastic used it is VERY sharp and perfectly usable. Again, sadly in comaparison, I have seen others use even thinner plastic and not turn out as sharp parts.... One area that really impressed me (again, not in terms of accuracy but quality) was the area under the chin on the helmet. Due to the nature of the pull on this part, it is almost always thin and prone to splitting. Not so on the "AP" helmet. Yes, I know the face was cleaned and idealized but it was still impressive to see a thick strong helmet that still has crisp details.

The armor also has a nice gloss finish, which is cool because it means no painting.

I do not know "AP" at all. Never have met or talked to him/them/whoever but I feel just from seeing his product, I now know something about him and would sure be glad to meet him some day and shake his hand. The quality, care, and craftsmanship seen in these parts is something ANY seller should be striving for. For someone who is NOT easily impressed, this armor really wowed me. :lol I don't even own a set and it is unlikely that I ever will, but I am proud to say I have seen one. If you have the opportunity, I encourage you to check a set out. We need more people like this.

Over the past month's I have done a lot of behind the scenes research on "AP" and is the only clear choice for me.After many repeated emails,he is clear, concise,courteous and is obviously commited to making NOTHING but a quality peice...all of the major points you mention are why I see myself attaining an "AP" peice.

Steve

Sounds to good to be true :)

Would anyone please tell me who exactly this AP is, how I can get ahold of him and what I should expect for a set of trooper armor?
´
If you don´t want to post here, please PM me...

Thanks in advance, Markus :)

Originally posted by DL 44 Blaster@Dec 12 2005, 12:54 PM
Over the past month's I have done a lot of behind the scenes research on "AP" and is the only clear choice for me.After many repeated emails,he is clear, concise,courteous and is obviously commited to making NOTHING but a quality peice...
[snapback]1134073[/snapback]​

I have never tallked to AP. I don't even know who he is or how to contact him, but after seeing his work, I would expect him to be nothing less than what you have described here.

Thanks for the review. I've been waiting for this day. To bad I bought a GF in the meantime. AP would have had my business. :)

The questions still remain unanswered...

Who is AP?
How can I contact him?
Does the armor come complete WITH helmet?
What $ should I expect to spend for a set of unassambled armor?

Thanks, Markus :)

I seem to recall reading somewhere that AP outsources his vac-forming to a professional, established business, hence why the professionalism and quality is so high, and that AP is simply just the 'front'. I could be wrong, who knows.

Originally posted by Trooper TK409@Dec 12 2005, 03:08 PM
PM sent
[snapback]1134121[/snapback]​

After reading this review I would also like to know about this "AP" Armor and how to get a hold of them.

Please drop me a PM with information if you have it.

Thank you.

jordankarr

Originally posted by womo68+Dec 12 2005, 04:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(womo68 @ Dec 12 2005, 04:43 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Chewcy
@Dec 12 2005, 11:04 AM
can I have the info too please?

Paul
[snapback]1134148[/snapback]​

me too....share the info please... :D

womo
[snapback]1134178[/snapback]​
[/b]

Ditto. I'd love to see pics as well. ;)

Hi BB,
Your PM box is full and I'd like to know too. Are we talking about Authentic replicas of the stormtrooper Props?

Cheers,

Dave C

Originally posted by dcarty@Dec 12 2005, 05:22 PM
Hi BB,
    Your PM box is full and I'd like to know too.  Are we talking about Authentic replicas of the stormtrooper Props?

Cheers,

Dave C
[snapback]1134192[/snapback]​

:lol :lol :lol

Suprising review Braks, I'd have to say it makes me a little curious. You're usually not to quick to indorse something especially of this nature. Even though you liked what you saw you personally wouldn't purchase a set though huh?

Don't be suprised. I have given good reviews before, just not often as there isn't something worth singing praises about too often. And, you are absolutely right. I am not quick to praise anything and I do not want anyone to be mistaken about what I am saying here. I am by NO means saying this is the best or most accurate armor out there. We all know its pedigree and know that it isn't 100% screen accurate. While it may not be the most accurate, I think it very well may best the most well made. What I am "endorsing" is the quality and craftsmanship I saw first-hand. I was really impressed with it.

Would I buy one? If I were trooping all the time, I would seriously consider it. However, I think most everyone knows that I am not very keen on idealized props so I doubt I will ever own one myself but that doesn't stop me from recommending it to others who don't have the same hangups I do.

If you want 100% screen accurate, you can be like me and wait until hell freezes over cause from what I see, it just isn't going to happen, but if you want a REALLY REALLY nice set of armor that is based off the real stuff, this would be a GREAT set to get.

Originally posted by well paid killer@Dec 12 2005, 06:39 PM
Suprising review Braks, I'd have to say it makes me a little curious. You're usually not to quick to indorse something especially of this nature. Even though you liked what you saw you personally wouldn't purchase a set though huh?
[snapback]1134242[/snapback]​

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back