Anyone heard of MPM Costumes.

I don't have any experience with MPM, but spent a little time just now browsing their site. Thanks for posting the link.

MPM's site has an online forum that includes "testimonials" and other feedback dating back to 2004, so the company has been around for at least a couple of years.

The company appears to act as a broker for various makers of prop and costume replicas (e.g., SDS), using descriptive text verbatim from their sites, but never mentioning their names. Judging from the text on the site, MPM may also commission some replicas as custom projects directly from tailors on Savile Row.

The online feedback and the cost of shipping various items suggest that different products ship from different parts of the world.

If MPM is in fact a broker, you'd expect that they would take a commission and that this would be reflected in higher prices. However, this does not always appear to be the case. For example:
  • Price for Hero Trooper Helmet: MPM = GBP 500, SDS = GBP 500.
  • Price for Stunt Trooper Helmet: MPM = GBP 445, SDS = GBP 445.
  • Price for Imperial Pilot Helmet: MPM = GBP 450, SDS = GBP 445.
  • Price for Trooper Armor: MPM = GBP 600, SDS = GBP 600.
Maybe MPM's commission comes out of the manufacturer's profits?

MPM also offers the advantage of "one-stop" shopping. For example, while SDS does not sell black undersuits, neckseals, holsters, or blasters to go with the armor, you can get all of those through MPM. (Sorry to keep using SDS as an example. No hidden agenda. :p It's just because it's easy to access their site for a quick comparison of prices, etc.)

MPM has got some stuff available that I haven't seen offered for "one-click ordering" before (e.g., lighted BSG TOS helmet, Chewy Bowcaster). I wonder who makes that stuff and how good it is. I glanced through the feedback and saw lots of questions from prospective buyers, but not a lot in the way of reviews by people who have actually purchased items. :unsure

If anyone's considering a purchase, one question worth asking is whether the stuff on the MPM site is actually what it appears to be. Just because MPM is using pictures and text from SDS and charging SDS prices, one shouldn't jump to the conclusion that one will be receiving SDS items. I'd ask plenty of questions and request better photos before jumping in.

Anybody have any experience with this place?

I think the person who runs MPM is a member of the UK Garrison. I always thought his prices were way over the top....

<div class='quotetop'>(The Dark Side @ May 15 2006, 07:39 AM) [snapback]1244431[/snapback]</div>
I think the person who runs MPM is a member of the UK Garrison. I always thought his prices were way over the top....
[/b]
There stuff is top notch though, I have seen some of there stuff at memorabilia and the workmanship is a very high standard. There jedi robes are awesome, a lot of the garrison recommend them too.

I have no personal experience buying off them but they always come highly recommended.

Being honest when it comes to prices in my experience you get what you pays for.

Hope this helps

Hi

His stuff does appear to be good quality. I think he offers items made by other people and sells them 'under his wing'. I have seen his stuff at the last MEM.

He approached my bud Darren (BM) to feature some of his stuff under the MPM name, but Daz kinda has his own thing going on so it didn't make sense so allow it.

I seem to remember alot of replica swords etc..

<div class='quotetop'>(KevVader @ May 15 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1244490[/snapback]</div>
...he seems to be selling CostumeJunkie Vader stuff....or at least using his pix....hmmmm... :unsure
[/b]

Also not a good idea to be advertising AA Stormtrooper suits and helmets. Please sue me. :lol

<div class='quotetop'>(The Dark Side @ May 15 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]1244495[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(KevVader @ May 15 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1244490[/snapback]
...he seems to be selling CostumeJunkie Vader stuff....or at least using his pix....hmmmm... :unsure
[/b]

Also not a good idea to be advertising AA Stormtrooper suits and helmets. Please sue me. :lol
[/b][/quote]

No kidding.....but CostumeJunkie....yeeeesh.... :eek:

Well, since they are using BSG.Orgs Pics, anyone who uses other peoples Pics on their site should immediatly raise a red flag imo.

Just my 2 Cubits. ;)

Typed "bsg.org" into my browser and ended up at "Your Business Services Resource." :$

What's BSG.org? Is it the official homepage of BSG? Do they make and/or market BSG products? Could MPM be a legitimate retailer of their products?

Personally, I think it's a bit weird that MPM uses photos and text from other manufacturers without even so much as mentioning their names. But judging from some of the other posts in this thread, MPM has deals with those manufacturers, so I imagine that use of the text and images must be with permission.

Even though it doesn't say so on the site. :confused

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ May 15 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1244610[/snapback]</div>
Typed "bsg.org" into my browser and ended up at "Your Business Services Resource." :$

What's BSG.org? Is it the official homepage of BSG? Do they make and/or market BSG products? Could MPM be a legitimate retailer of their products?

Personally, I think it's a bit weird that MPM uses photos and text from other manufacturers without even so much as mentioning their names. But judging from some of the other posts in this thread, MPM has deals with those manufacturers, so I imagine that use of the text and images must be with permission.

Even though it doesn't say so on the site. :confused
[/b]

Think he meant:

Battlestargalactica.org

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ May 15 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]1244610[/snapback]</div>

What's BSG.org? Is it the official homepage of BSG? Do they make and/or market BSG products?
[/b]

Sorry about that Cadet. ;)

Looks like you are on the right vector now though.

Guys

I can vouch for Martins products, they are all of the highest quality and the service is great. I am the GML for the UK Garrison and see alot of MPM costumes and/or parts used by our members and everyone seems happy with it.

I'd also add that the "one off" custom costumes that MPM have supplied to some of our members have been simply awesome and of the highest quality too.

MPM is fine in my books... Top guy, and easy to deal with :thumbsup

I've bought a few things off MPM and seen him at conventions etc and I've spent a lot of time talking to him. His stuff and service are both exemplary, IMO.

Temponaut's original appraisal of the situation is pretty much on the money.

The guy behind it spent ages looking around for different parts for a costume he did for himself and basically thought "wouldn't it be great if someone did everything I needed". There being no one who did, and there being a niche for such a "broker", he started doing it.

That was about 2.5 years ago.

The pics will be of the stuff you get as far as I'm aware.

By all means ask as many questions as you like of the guy. He'll give you a straight answer.

Prices? You get what you pay for. With most things (as temponaut said) you won't usually pay more than if you went to the maker, and the stuff he does himself (Jedi robes & boots, etc) are top quality schmutter. And all with the convenience of being in one place.

Hope that helps.

S

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back