Anyone heard of MPM Costumes.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by recoil, May 14, 2006.

1. recoil

recoil New Member

2. LDR

LDR Sr Member

Interesting site. Insn't the Stormtrooper stuff AAs? Though it doesn't mention it at all.

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And some of the sabers look like Parks, the Trek costumes are Kronos-One/Warp-One close-enoughs... quite the mix.

4. temponaut

temponaut Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't have any experience with MPM, but spent a little time just now browsing their site. Thanks for posting the link.

MPM's site has an online forum that includes "testimonials" and other feedback dating back to 2004, so the company has been around for at least a couple of years.

The company appears to act as a broker for various makers of prop and costume replicas (e.g., SDS), using descriptive text verbatim from their sites, but never mentioning their names. Judging from the text on the site, MPM may also commission some replicas as custom projects directly from tailors on Savile Row.

The online feedback and the cost of shipping various items suggest that different products ship from different parts of the world.

If MPM is in fact a broker, you'd expect that they would take a commission and that this would be reflected in higher prices. However, this does not always appear to be the case. For example:
    • Price for Hero Trooper Helmet: MPM = GBP 500, SDS = GBP 500.
    • Price for Stunt Trooper Helmet: MPM = GBP 445, SDS = GBP 445.
    • Price for Imperial Pilot Helmet: MPM = GBP 450, SDS = GBP 445.
    • Price for Trooper Armor: MPM = GBP 600, SDS = GBP 600.
    Maybe MPM's commission comes out of the manufacturer's profits?

MPM also offers the advantage of "one-stop" shopping. For example, while SDS does not sell black undersuits, neckseals, holsters, or blasters to go with the armor, you can get all of those through MPM. (Sorry to keep using SDS as an example. No hidden agenda. :p It's just because it's easy to access their site for a quick comparison of prices, etc.)

MPM has got some stuff available that I haven't seen offered for "one-click ordering" before (e.g., lighted BSG TOS helmet, Chewy Bowcaster). I wonder who makes that stuff and how good it is. I glanced through the feedback and saw lots of questions from prospective buyers, but not a lot in the way of reviews by people who have actually purchased items. :unsure

If anyone's considering a purchase, one question worth asking is whether the stuff on the MPM site is actually what it appears to be. Just because MPM is using pictures and text from SDS and charging SDS prices, one shouldn't jump to the conclusion that one will be receiving SDS items. I'd ask plenty of questions and request better photos before jumping in.

Anybody have any experience with this place?

5. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

I think the person who runs MPM is a member of the UK Garrison. I always thought his prices were way over the top....

6. jimbobond

jimbobond New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(The Dark Side @ May 15 2006, 07:39 AM) [snapback]1244431[/snapback]</div>
    There stuff is top notch though, I have seen some of there stuff at memorabilia and the workmanship is a very high standard. There jedi robes are awesome, a lot of the garrison recommend them too.

I have no personal experience buying off them but they always come highly recommended.

Being honest when it comes to prices in my experience you get what you pays for.

Hope this helps

7. Helmetman

Helmetman Well-Known Member

Hi

His stuff does appear to be good quality. I think he offers items made by other people and sells them 'under his wing'. I have seen his stuff at the last MEM.

He approached my bud Darren (BM) to feature some of his stuff under the MPM name, but Daz kinda has his own thing going on so it didn't make sense so allow it.

I seem to remember alot of replica swords etc..

8. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...he seems to be selling CostumeJunkie Vader stuff....or at least using his pix....hmmmm... :unsure

9. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(KevVader @ May 15 2006, 12:56 PM) [snapback]1244490[/snapback]</div>
    Also not a good idea to be advertising AA Stormtrooper suits and helmets. Please sue me. :lol

10. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(The Dark Side @ May 15 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]1244495[/snapback]</div>
    Also not a good idea to be advertising AA Stormtrooper suits and helmets. Please sue me. :lol
    [/b][/quote]

No kidding.....but CostumeJunkie....yeeeesh.... :eek:

11. temponaut

Any idea who supplies MPM with Battlestar Galactica TOS Viper Pilot Helmets?

12. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, since they are using BSG.Orgs Pics, anyone who uses other peoples Pics on their site should immediatly raise a red flag imo.

Just my 2 Cubits. ;)

13. temponaut

Typed "bsg.org" into my browser and ended up at "Your Business Services Resource." :$

What's BSG.org? Is it the official homepage of BSG? Do they make and/or market BSG products? Could MPM be a legitimate retailer of their products?

Personally, I think it's a bit weird that MPM uses photos and text from other manufacturers without even so much as mentioning their names. But judging from some of the other posts in this thread, MPM has deals with those manufacturers, so I imagine that use of the text and images must be with permission.

Even though it doesn't say so on the site. :confused

14. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ May 15 2006, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1244610[/snapback]</div>
    Think he meant:

Battlestargalactica.org

15. temponaut

<div class='quotetop'>(The Dark Side @ May 16 2006, 02:08 AM) [snapback]1244617[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, that looks right.

Thanks, Dark Side. :thumbsup

16. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(temponaut @ May 15 2006, 12:58 PM) [snapback]1244610[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry about that Cadet. ;)

Looks like you are on the right vector now though.

17. temponaut

18. tk7209

tk7209 New Member

Martin, the guy who runs MPM is a top bloke and is indeed a member of the UK Garrison

19. dacrates

dacrates New Member

Guys

I can vouch for Martins products, they are all of the highest quality and the service is great. I am the GML for the UK Garrison and see alot of MPM costumes and/or parts used by our members and everyone seems happy with it.

I'd also add that the "one off" custom costumes that MPM have supplied to some of our members have been simply awesome and of the highest quality too.

MPM is fine in my books... Top guy, and easy to deal with :thumbsup

20. Han Hunter

Han Hunter New Member

I've bought a few things off MPM and seen him at conventions etc and I've spent a lot of time talking to him. His stuff and service are both exemplary, IMO.

Temponaut's original appraisal of the situation is pretty much on the money.

The guy behind it spent ages looking around for different parts for a costume he did for himself and basically thought "wouldn't it be great if someone did everything I needed". There being no one who did, and there being a niche for such a "broker", he started doing it.

That was about 2.5 years ago.

The pics will be of the stuff you get as far as I'm aware.

By all means ask as many questions as you like of the guy. He'll give you a straight answer.

Prices? You get what you pay for. With most things (as temponaut said) you won't usually pay more than if you went to the maker, and the stuff he does himself (Jedi robes & boots, etc) are top quality schmutter. And all with the convenience of being in one place.

Hope that helps.

S

21. Han Hunter

Han Hunter New Member

Double Post - D'OH.

22. Han Hunter

Han Hunter New Member

Arghhh. Triple post - Double D'OH.

Apologies.

23. stealthtrooper

stealthtrooper New Member

Martin from MPM costumes is not a member here so he's asked me to post the following on his behalf

<div class='quotetop'></div>

24. Darth Domain

Darth Domain Well-Known Member

The best thing about RPF is learning something new every day, and that site is pretty cool, however, i feel much of the featured stuff is findable possibly cheaper on E-Bay. But, still a useful site to know nevertheless

25. SL7484

SL7484 New Member

Well I commissioned MPM to produce a Luminara Unduli costume for my other half, as nobody else would even consider doing it as it's a tricky costume to get right for many reasons. The result was fantastic and we now have a unique costume, that IMHO is as close to the original as you're likely to find...see below. (Click for larger version). We were delighted with the result.

I believe Martin actually did a lot of the other Jedi's in this picture as well.

He gets my vote...goes to show how easy it is to jump to the wrong conclusions :)

My advice would be if you have any doubts about where his costumes come from or the quality of the work...just ask him :)

[​IMG]

26. jimbobond

jimbobond New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(SL7484 @ May 16 2006, 09:32 AM) [snapback]1245019[/snapback]</div>
    Now that is one impressive costume I've seen it first hand. Kudos to MPM :thumbsup

27. temponaut

Thanks, stealthtrooper, for posting on Martin's behalf, and thanks to Martin for taking the time to introduce his site and service to us.

Lots of positive feedback coming in about MPM now. :)

<div class='quotetop'>( @ May 16 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]1244998[/snapback]</div>
    One thing I thought to mention earlier is that the online forum includes several posts from people who placed orders and subsequently had trouble contacting Martin. Some might take that as a red flag with regard to customer service. But it seemed to me more a positive indicator of the owner's honesty. If he had wanted to whitewash things, he could simply have deleted any "negative" posts and left nothing but a sanitized image. Instead, he's got what seems to be an open forum in which customers and prospective customers can leave uncensored feedback about products and services.

I wonder if the lighted BSG TOS helmets on the MPM site are the same as those mentioned (but not pictured) on BSG.com. They look very nice. :love

Martin (or stealthtrooper), what's the reason that MPM doesn't include the names of the manufacturers on the site? Is it a marketing strategy, or is it more related to legal concerns? (If you'd rather not get into it, that's cool, too. :) )

Thanks again for posting. :thumbsup

P.S. Great photo SL7484. But since you're posing in front of Starbuck's, shouldn't you be wearing BSG gear? :p

But seriously, your costumes and sabers look brilliant. :thumbsup

28. MacFarc

MacFarc New Member

Yeah MPM's stuff is top notch.

Really recommended. :)

29. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The bowcaster looks like a Randy500.

Noticed a mistake on the ROTJ E-11. The site says its cast from a real Sterling L2A3. Its actually cast from the MGC Sterling and I'm pretty sure it originates from one of my real MGCs