Anyone else not liking the forum changes? (answered)

Re: Anyone else not liking the forum changes?

Why the big yellow banner at the top of this forum section ? is this the only section that needs an explanation of what it's for in such a dramatic and unsightly fashion ?

First, thanks to the staff for their work. However, I have two quick notes... First, can there be a reduced time in between searches? For instance, it's a drag when you accidentally spell something wrong or forget a term, remember it upon hitting enter, then have to wait half a minute instead of just a few seconds.

Second, I might be in the minority here, but I must respectfully note that I don't care for the newly added "social bookmarking" feature. In particular, I'm referring to the ability to come up in Google search/archives, especially since Junkyard posts are included in this feature. It could lead to future issues, ie: more people having problems due to infringements/whatever.

Anyways, just my thoughts!

Serenity, thanks for the input.

After readinng your concerns, we have knocked the search wait time from 30 secs to 15 secs. The reason for requiring time between searches is to limit the search feature from taking too many server resources especially since we currently allow unregistered members to use the search feature. Hopefully 15 secs will be a better compromise.

In regard to the social bookmarking links, they are only displayed on guest-viewable forums... and the Junkyard IS a guest-viewable forum (unlike a forum like the Paper Props forum). What is significant about this is the fact that guest-viewable forums (like the Junkyard) are already indexed by Google and already show up in search results.

Thanks again for sharing your concerns! Hope the wait time between searches is now less of a frustration.

Thanks, AA! I appreciate your time and for adjusting the search time; 15 seconds is more manageable. :lol I figured it was to do with the server load, thanks for the explanation.

As for the JY/indexing, I wasn't sure about it being indexed before, I had thought there was an anti-Google indexing bot code inserted into the overall coding of the site. We had something similar on a different forum I used to moderate. I guess I just didn't recall seeing individual RPF threads in any searches in the past.

In any case, thanks for clearing it up!

As for the JY/indexing, I wasn't sure about it being indexed before, I had thought there was an anti-Google indexing bot code inserted into the overall coding of the site. We had something similar on a different forum I used to moderate. I guess I just didn't recall seeing individual RPF threads in any searches in the past.

You are correct. In the past there was a pretty severe anti-spidering bit of code in place. The current code doesn't generally allow individual post spidering but does all general thread and forum spidering.

If these pages are already indexed (and i think that due to the nature of what we do on this board, it should be as shielded as possible from being indexed), why do we need a button to to this very same thing. It seems risky to me and open for abuse.

If someone wants to expose someone else to the world, it would give them a tool to do so, not a good idea!!!

I asked to what benefit does this indexing really serve, if the pages are already indexed in Google right now? That is beyond the 'novel' experience of submitting it...

With registration closed 90% of the time it's not like the forum as a whole is going to benefit from someone finding the article on digg.com when they find out they are locked out of participation...

At least that is my opinion...

But for those interested in what Google spiders, do a Google search like this...

*your search words here* site:therpf.com

So for example to search the RPF for For Sale threads... Type this in a Google search...

for sale site:therpf.com

If these pages are already indexed (and i think that due to the nature of what we do on this board, it should be as shielded as possible from being indexed), why do we need a button to to this very same thing. It seems risky to me and open for abuse.

If someone wants to expose someone else to the world, it would give them a tool to do so, not a good idea!!!

We certainly understand the concern, but also realize that there is a dated mentality at work that seems to believe that if we stick our heads in the sand and can't see anyone else then we can pretend that no one can see us either. The fact of the matter is that most of the licensees that are related to this hobby have representatives here who have been here for years, and a number of the studios do as well. We hate to break it to anyone who might hold this misconception, but the RPF is no secret and has been no secret for a long time. At this point, trying to "hide" from the world is only fooling ourselves and only limiting new talent and fans from finding us.

As a note, the Stumbleupon and digg type links aren't the same as being indexed by search engine, but they do have the potential to bring new blood and new talent to the site.

In regard to "exposing" anyone... we are already exposed and have been for years. If you think this site isn't being watched by the powers that be, you are fooling yourself.

With registration closed 90% of the time it's not like the forum as a whole is going to benefit from someone finding the article on digg.com when they find out they are locked out of participation...

At least that is my opinion...

While there clearly is a lot to be gained from the site, even by non-members (just watch the guest stats), you are absolutely right that such benefits are indeed limited by having registration closed such a large percentage of the time. Couldn't agree with you more.

Not liking the junkyard posts showing up in google forever!

May as well label them all, Exhibit A, B, C, etc....

The junkyard should be private anyway (members only)

Not liking the junkyard posts showing up in google forever!

Couple of things to keep in mind. They won't show up in Google forever. We typically purge threads from the junkyard that haven't been replied to in 180 days. When Google reindexes those pages will not be found and they will eventually be filtered out.

The junkyard should be private anyway (members only)

The junkyard is our #3 landing page (behind the home page and the prop forum). Should we cut that off to all of those who are non-members when they have no way of rectifying the situation due to our mainly closed registration policy?

As mentioned previously, it is our experience that it is often the licensees, not the studios who are doing the infringement reporting, and all the major licensees are already here, members of the board who would have access to the Junkyard whether we privatized it or not. It has also been our experience that most of the licensees have a (thankfully) lenient view and are willing to allow us to exist and create small runs of product to fulfill needs they aren't filling. While I know there is a sense of unease about being indexed, the truth is, those who are the most likely to act against a seller (studios and licensees) are already here among us and have been relatively peaceably acting among us for years and years.

As for cutting the junkyard off to non-members:

Why would it matter? They can't contact sellers...they can't see the contact info or access the PM feature. A non-member really couldn't get anything out of it anyway.

I'm just suggesting, it's a rather private portal that many would argue should be kept, in the family.
As another builder put it. The junkard should be a bit like a speak-easy. It may be well known what happens there, but one shouldn't flaunt it.

Last edited:

Was there a reason to rearrange the layout of the forums on the main page? Frankly I didn't see anything wrong with the way things were. It seems that changes are being made simply for the sake of changing things.

I used to be able to minimize all of the sections except the main one. This allowed me to keep the main page less cluttered and still see the forums that matter (prop, model, junkyard and OT).

I used to be able to minimize all of the sections except the main one. This allowed me to keep the main page less cluttered and still see the forums that matter (prop, model, junkyard and OT).

:thumbsup

Especially when browsing on the iPhone.

Plus, the load time on the Sideshow banners are sometimes extremely slow. Having them hidden helped. Now, they're showing in the same section as the Junkyard, so if i have that panel open, it's back to waiting again...

It seems that changes are being made simply for the sake of changing things.

Jeff, a number of updates are incremental parts of larger updates that are not complete. Others are simply a matter of organization or working towards arranging subjects based on the flow of traffic through the site. While the reasons may not always be clear, there is a reason behind each update.

Especially when browsing on the iPhone.

As soon as we have updated to the latest version of vBulletin (sometime after the first of the year) we will be looking into a smartphone friendly theme.

Plus, the load time on the Sideshow banners are sometimes extremely slow.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Let us see what can be done to alleviate that lag.

I'm with Sumatra, & Servo, the changes are imo not needed or welcome. Art, if you want to change things so much, you might as well just start a new board.
Change does not always equal growth, sometimes it just annoys the membership.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back