Any help with a silicone mask question?

Ash

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everybody! So I utilized our handy dandy search feature and didn't quite find an answer to what I was looking for.

I have recently purchased Sinister Studios "Incubus Deluxe Freddy Krueger" silicone mask and glove combo and although not as accurate as some are to replicating the look of Robert Englund's face, for the price and it being my first silicone mask, I am incredibly happy with what I've received. It appears to be really well made and is a really thick and heavy mask and glove and I'm excited to show it off when ever I can.

As I said this is my first silicone mask purchase and I'm afraid I don't know much about the process that goes into creating them which I why I thought I'd turn to my wonderful and talented brothers and sisters of the RPF. Upon putting the mask on for the first time I realized that there are no holes in the ears and it is very hard to hear well while it's on. So I'm wondering if it is possible to add these ear holes so that my hearing can improve while wearing the mask. OF course I know I can easily just cut a hole in each ear, I mean duh. What I'm really asking for advice, guidance or suggestion on how to do it properly as to not cause future issues with the mask later on down the line. Is there a special tool I should find? Have you personally done this yourself in the past? Does the mask need to be reinforced after the holes are created. Anything you can offer would be a huge help.

The photos attached are of the same mask I've purchased for reference.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.47.16 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.47.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.31.23 AM.png

I had this exact same problem with my Freddy mask 10 years ago. I used a hex punch and a hammer to poke the holes, then cleaned them up with small scissors. No need to reinforce the holes (at least not on mine). Granted, I don't wear the mask much at all, but the holes haven't ripped... yet.

Here it's the one on the right from Darkride Stuidos:

32935925270_49dc9e71a0_o.jpg

If I were going to do it, I would put the mask on, mark the two ear holes with a sharpie dot, then take it off and use a hot soldering iron to melt through the silicone. I'd most likely test on an obscure area first just to be safe.

Otherwise, Doh2 has a good solution as well.

You can always reinforce the inside of the holes with a little silpoxy and some mesh made for silicone after you cut the hole out too, to prevent tearing.

Does your mask have power mesh in it? You should be able to tell looking at the inside of the mask.

If not, I would recommend applying some powermesh to the area with silpoxy before punching or cutting the holes. It’s a good idea to reinforce areas like the corners of the mouth and eye holes while you’re at it.

Thanks for all the advice! Mr Mold Maker I do not believe my mask had powermesh in it. But your suggestion of adding some will be taken advantage of for sure as I'd hate for the mask to rip. Moe Sizzlac I have a wood burning tool I could possibly use for creating the holes as you suggested. Not sure if I wanna attempt that or the hex punch holes Doh2 suggested instead so I'll hold off for the moment to see if I receive any more responses.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back