Anovos Kylo Ren helmet COMPLETE overhaul/repaint

StaggzCosplay

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a project I started in the middle of last year and just now finished.

I’ve always wanted a prop accurate Kylo Ren helmet. The Anovos was an excellent base, but the paint and overall texture details on the Anovos were lacking in my opinion.

I’ve been researching this helmet since 2015 and wanted to be able to replicate the look seen in film. After receiving good reference, I decided on the style of hero helmet I would be going for.

I had my friend Richard add in the air bubbles on the muzzle piece. He also altered the areas where the flares are, and cut out an entire piece as it is not present on the celebration model.
These were the pictures I was using as reference. Obviously, even with the reference I had of the helmet that I can’t post on here, there was still a lot that I interpreted or gave my artistic interpretation of. For example, the scarring on the faceplate was copied directly from the film source while the scratch weathering on the rest of the helmet was something that I added a bit “extra” of to make it pop.
IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8628.jpg

IMG_8588.jpg

IMG_8546.jpg

IMG_8616.jpg

A6D8E6E5-B0AB-4653-A0E4-5E3CB1A12854.jpg

After sanding all the paint off of it, and adding probably 10-15 little various dents and dings that were on my reference and not on the Anovos, I sent it off to be vacuum metalized
IMG_7920.jpg

IMG_8126.jpg

Once it was back, more work began. I went ahead and hand painted some of the black so that when I sprayed it on, any spots I covered with the tape would still be black
IMG_8205.jpg

Finally I began to paint the rest of it.

I used many different black shades. Flat, matte, gloss, satin, some gloss and matte clear coat, and even adhesion promoter. It really gave it that look and feel of a black that you really can’t nail the texture/color of. And that’s what I wanted... I wanted it to be a dark black, but still change shades depending on lighting. The chrome weathering was done with oil paints, splatters of clear coat, a black wash, and a grey wash. The cheeks were airbrushed using a 70-30% mixture of black and sepia, and then scratched with a toothbrush.

There is no mesh in the eyes, as I wear a headsock when wearing it, to make the eye area look more sunken.
IMG_8636.jpg
IMG_8637.jpg
IMG_8638.jpg
IMG_8640.jpg
IMG_8641.jpg
IMG_8642.jpg
IMG_8643.jpg
IMG_8645.jpg
IMG_8644.jpg
IMG_8647.jpg
IMG_8648.jpg
IMG_8649.jpg
IMG_8650.jpg

Last edited:
Love it, my good friend!

All those extra details really matter!

Rich

There he is!

This is the guy who added some of those rich details like the air bubbles.

Richard do you mind explaining a bit about what you did to the flares on the sides of the helmet? I don’t know how to say it, and I’ve been trying to figure out how to explain it.

Thats amazing dedication. I thought anovos did a great job in factory as well.

It definitely was a nice helmet to begin with... there were some things I wanted a bit differently just to match what I viewed as my favorite version of Kylos helmet, but the Anovos was not bad to begin with... mostly came down to preference.

There he is!

This is the guy who added some of those rich details like the air bubbles.

Richard do you mind explaining a bit about what you did to the flares on the sides of the helmet? I don’t know how to say it, and I’ve been trying to figure out how to explain it.

If you mean what i think you mean, the front section of the flare on the Anovos has solid sections, i just cut and filed them away to be more like the movie props....

here's a pic of the area in question, that makes him look like he's wearing hooker earrings...:p

Rich
Ren_11.JPG

Really Good work.(y)
But I think my ANOVOS Kylo looks also good out of the box.:love:

Agree, and I also appreciate the compliment :) The Anovos out of the box is honestly just fine as well.

BUT, I’m big on individual versions and getting things exactly the way I see them.

Kylo’s helmet is almost like Luke’s lightsaber in ROTJ. It looks different from scene to scene. I wanted to accomplish the look of a very weathered/rushed helmet that you see in the closeup shots in both films, while the Anovos looks like the cleaner glossier helmets you see in the film.

Agree, and I also appreciate the compliment :) The Anovos out of the box is honestly just fine as well.

BUT, I’m big on individual versions and getting things exactly the way I see them.

Kylo’s helmet is almost like Luke’s lightsaber in ROTJ. It looks different from scene to scene. I wanted to accomplish the look of a very weathered/rushed helmet that you see in the closeup shots in both films, while the Anovos looks like the cleaner glossier helmets you see in the film.

I know exactly what you mean.You have never a perfect match with a licensed prop out of the box of an exact screenused prop.When you want this you must do what you did.I did the same with my RS Scouttrooperhelmet kit to match the Corp.Oberk helmet from ROTJ.

I know exactly what you mean.You have never a perfect match with a licensed prop out of the box of an exact screenused prop.When you want this you must do what you did.I did the same with my RS Scouttrooperhelmet kit to match the Corp.Oberk helmet from ROTJ.

Exactly. Of course, because of reference, even the reference I have of certain areas, I still knew that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't replicate it "exactly" (for example, the air bubbles in the middle faceplate.... I didn't even want Richard to try to replicate their exact positioning because it's near impossible.

So what I wanted to do was give it the qualities of what I liked the most about the hero helmet seen in closeups... the scarring on the faceplate, the airbubbles, the sporadic and slightly grainy texture as compared to the more glossy consistent texture....

Exactly. Of course, because of reference, even the reference I have of certain areas, I still knew that no matter how hard I tried I couldn't replicate it "exactly" (for example, the air bubbles in the middle faceplate.... I didn't even want Richard to try to replicate their exact positioning because it's near impossible.

So what I wanted to do was give it the qualities of what I liked the most about the hero helmet seen in closeups... the scarring on the faceplate, the airbubbles, the sporadic and slightly grainy texture as compared to the more glossy consistent texture....

Yes..100% you can never match it.But you can get really close when you have a good eye for details.I´ve never understood why they used the faceplate with all the airbubbles for the closeups..but your right..its screenaccurate.

Yes..100% you can never match it.But you can get really close when you have a good eye for details.I´ve never understood why they used the faceplate with all the airbubbles for the closeups..but your right..its screenaccurate.

Agreed, it’s an odd thing that they must have just missed when making the helmet.

The main thing I wanted to fix was the texture, the air bubbles, and the chrome weathering. I wanted the texture to look more like a combo of the Anovos prototype and the prop shop helmet. The hero and stunt helmets were so different looking that you I wanted to achieve something kind of in the middle of it.... splatters and some grittiness in some areas.

Agreed, it’s an odd thing that they must have just missed when making the helmet.

The main thing I wanted to fix was the texture, the air bubbles, and the chrome weathering. I wanted the texture to look more like a combo of the Anovos prototype and the prop shop helmet. The hero and stunt helmets were so different looking that you I wanted to achieve something kind of in the middle of it.... splatters and some grittiness in some areas.

That sounds really good.I really love the design of Kylo Rens helmet.Its a shame that he destroyed the helmet at then beginning of TLJ.
Thats one thing more why I hate this movie so hard.TFA was so good...Rian Johnson has no feeling for a good SW-movie.I really hope JJ can make a nice last part for us.:unsure:

That sounds really good.I really love the design of Kylo Rens helmet.Its a shame that he destroyed the helmet at then beginning of TLJ.
Thats one thing more why I hate this movie so hard.TFA was so good...Rian Johnson has no feeling for a good SW-movie.I really hope JJ can make a nice last part for us.:unsure:

Well small spoiler alert maybe:
If what I know is correct about Kylo’s helmet in particular, we’ll both be happy :)

I certainly hope to have another style of Kylo helmet to work on after this movie is released.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back