ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Why are we having this discussion? You quoted me... No definitive Kylo Ren helmet? I'd say the one 3D scanned and referenced by both Anovos and Propshop would be the one to call definitive if anything.

As far as you know? Here is a tip, if you DON'T know, don't assume, ask. Here is what I was told: The helmet was pulled from the same molds, and finished by the same finishers. "Screen used" or not, it is a production helmet.

So let me get this straight. I say that I feel the Propshop has a closer finish than the Anovos, as the Anovos' finish is overstated. You quote me, post two photos proving my point, and agree with me saying yourself it "resembles" the Ren helmet but it is different.. So why are we having this discussion again?

It's interesting to me that every other post in your history is about the Anovos Kylo helmet. As I said, I love the texture. I plan to replicate it on my BB Props V3.. that being said, I hold no bias towards or against Anovos.. do you?

Merry Christmas, by the way.:D

We're having this discussion because you compare low res screens with those two helmets. :p
Just wanted to point out that seemingly both, the more glossy looking and the textured looking helmets were being used.

It just seems weird to me to discuss about how the KR helmet should or shouldn't be, when we haven't ever seen the "real deal prop" Anovos and PS scanned. Of course you were talking about which helmet represents the most movie accurate look, in your opinion. I understand that.

Talking about that promo costume: Even if the information you were told is true (I don't doubt it) -> that helmet doesn't look like anything I've seen in the movie. Very wide metal forehead patterns compared to movie shots. Interesting mouth piece variation again. I don't know if Vader or Fett enthusasist bring up the promo costume versions in discussions when explicitly talking about movie costumes as they look fairly different to the movie used ones, right?

Why wouldn't I talk about a product which I've pre-ordered and purchased? I don't plan on making my own costume, only doing some tweaks. No bias towards anyone, I can't say one helmet looks more movie accurate than the other. One was simply cheaper than the other. Of course I'm more enthusiastic about the Anovos helmet but I seem to react allergic to "this is more movie accurate" KR discussions due to the low amount of good reference material. I can see both helmets matching the screen used ones but I t's impossible to tell which one is more accurate until we see the actual source helmet.

Merry Christmas from Germany Mr Mold Maker!

finally opened and inspected my Anovos Kylo Helmet tonight... it's amazing! incredible.... but for some reason, I prefer my other Christmas present more.... the Black series Stormtrooper helmet.... can't stop looking at it! go figure!

finally opened and inspected my Anovos Kylo Helmet tonight... it's amazing! incredible.... but for some reason, I prefer my other Christmas present more.... the Black series Stormtrooper helmet.... can't stop looking at it! go figure!

Stormtroopers are classics but Kylo Ren > Stormtroopers

I was so bummed that my Stormtrooper black series helmet didn't fit me. Still a nice piece for the price.

I am working to gets some approvals to release some comparison photos of the piece we shot. As for the Kylo ren, keep in mind that Disney rarely puts up the hero pieces for display (which is what ours is based on ). It is a bit of a leap of faith but I think you all can agree we don't flagrantly throw around the term accuracy too much without backing our play. Good night and MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !!!

We're having this discussion because you compare low res screens with those two helmets. :p
Just wanted to point out that seemingly both, the more glossy looking and the textured looking helmets were being used.

It just seems weird to me to discuss about how the KR helmet should or shouldn't be, when we haven't ever seen the "real deal prop" Anovos and PS scanned. Of course you were talking about which helmet represents the most movie accurate look, in your opinion. I understand that.

Well, I was comparing the Anovos and PS. The fact remains that they both reference real helmets, both claimed accuracy, and yet we have two wildly different finishes and sizes. The point of the "low res" screen caps was just to show that I (read: my opinion) felt the Anovos texture was overstated compared to the two.. the two being the Propshop and film helmets.

I would venture to say that the Anovos helmet with a light rub down with a scotchbrite would give you the correct look, and be a much closer match to the Propshop and film helmets. It would knock back the gloss just slightly while still leaving the raised texture.
But I have beaten the dead horse.. I have said my thoughts. I appreciate that you actually were able to thoroughly explain your views and reasoning instead of making a one or two sentence rebuttal.. I'm always up for a good discussion on this.. you know.. discussion board. It was fun. :)

Last edited:
star-wars-the-force-awakens-documentary-011-1280x533.jpg
It was pretty glossy in some shots. It was pretty matte in some shots. You can see the texture in some shots.

Considering your familiarity with film props and cameras, you might know that 35mm tends to smooth things out. You also know that pretty much all movie props look different in person than on-screen because of lighting and film grain. Even HD cameras do this because they are designed to replicate film grain. Only 4k cameras would be able to pick up the exact details of a prop.

It was pretty glossy in some shots. It was pretty matte in some shots. You can see the texture in some shots.

Considering your familiarity with film props and cameras, you might know that 35mm tends to smooth things out. You also know that pretty much all movie props look different in person than on-screen because of lighting and film grain. Even HD cameras do this because they are designed to replicate film grain. Only 4k cameras would be able to pick up the exact details of a prop.

Again, that is not my point. All this over a simple opinion.. :angel

YOU said "If you look closely at the helmet in the film, it has way more texture than the PS version."
I said: "Really? I see the Anovos helmet as far too over textured" and later state "I feel the Propshop has a closer finish than the Anovos, as the Anovos' finish is overstated"

I understand that some helmets looked smooth and glossy, while others looked Pebbled. I am not talking about the smooth helmets, I'm talking about the textured ones.
You posted a smooth one, and while I get your point.. different helmets were used in the film.. what you haven't done is shown me one helmet that looks like the Anovos. You said yourself the helmet in the film has way more texture than the PS version. Well, show me THAT one. Show me THAT helmet, not the smooth glossy one. You went from one post saying the helmet in the film has way more texture, to now saying the camera is smoothing the helmet out? Well, which one is it?

The majority of shots with the practical helmet all show a similar texture. All of the shots I posted and that Kain posted, the C7 display, the visual dictionary, and most scenes in the film I see the same texture.. and the Prop Shop is closer to that texture. Not exact, mind you, but closer. Again, my OPINION.

You disagree. Cool, I respect that. Disagree. :thumbsup

Unless Got Maul indeed has comparisons to post there is literally no more point in this discussion. As I said, I've beaten the dead horse. I'm ready to disingage as I realize this conversation is going in circles. If you want, PM me or email me..

I said there may be multiple helmets, so demanding "which one" is missing my point. Having handled the helmets, I personally prefer the Anovos finish.

All this back and forth. At least many--if not most--of you have received your goods. Be thankful for that.

@gotmaul Can I PLEASE get some kind of meaningful update as to the status of my Premiere Bespin Ensemble and standard Bespin Jacket? Please?

If anyone here ever needs to do a paper for grad school on confirmation bias...there's probably some inspiration to be drawn from this thread. Or any collector/costuming forum ever made really.

I said there may be multiple helmets, so demanding "which one" is missing my point. Having handled the helmets, I personally prefer the Anovos finish.

No, YOUR point was the helmet in the film has more texture. Now you're saying that there "may" be multiple helmets in the film so me asking to show the one you were specifying misses your point? Clearly by that logic, there are multiple helmets so I can't be wrong either. We have a Schrodinger's Kylo? Write a grad paper on that..

Jeez man.. what a joke.. :lol

It's worth mentioning that us going on this tangent has completely avoided the other question my post had which was the size disparity.. was the Anovos helmet scaled up to fit more heads? Is the Propshop too small? Is either the size of the real helmet?

Last edited:
No, MY helmet is best because I'M the best! :darnkids

(Side note: I think both helmets look quite nice. Haven't seen anyone disagree there, so maybe that's good enough for now? At least until we are able to see more in-depth looks at one of the screen-used helmets, in the way Jez over at StarWarsHelmets has in the past. With all the different light levels and other factors I have a hard time seeing anything for sure.)

As for the size disparity that Mr. Mold Maker mentioned, I think that'd be easier to figure out. I thought I'd read in some thread or another at some point (may have been on Anovos Facebook page) that the Anovos helmet was being modified (enlarged) in some dimensions to fit a variety of heads better. Don't quote me on that, but it would certainly make sense and would lead to reasonable inference that the Prop Shop lid was more accurately sized.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back